Riding After Broken Wrist

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:06:22 +1100, TimC
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 2008-02-20, [email protected] (aka Bruce)
>> had a right wrist fracture about 2 years ago (dominant hand) workplace
>> accident; 9 months later I still had trouble opening a jar with that
>> hand. I was riding after the cast came off it was very tender and
>> sore; not fun especially on climbs, also my hand was very weak pulling
>> the brakes (big safety concern there). I was warned a reinjury could
>> cause premanent disability so be mindfull that warning might extend to
>> yourself. my wrist is still stiff doing pushups and I still lack
>> torque with that hand.

>I think I might have had a fractured wrist in a fall, but never went
>to the doctor for it. Every now and again, 5 months later, I am
>reminded of this when I try to pick up and maneuver an awkward
>dichroic into the spectrograph, but only sometimes.

I broke mine twice 37 and 38 years ago, more or less, and I am STILL
reminded of it on occaision.

I prefer "north road" bars for the limitted riding I do.

Dave "Legs Larry" Larrington wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
> tell us:
>> Pete Whelan wrote:
>>> Recumbent trike - (I use a Trice)

>> A Trice would be nice, but oh what a price!
>>
>> I want a Trice Micro to keep my Dragonflyer company.

> Alas, the "custom" models have been discontinued as ICE can barely meet the
> demand for the Q & T.
>
> One is glad one got one's XXL before this calamity, even if it has been off
> sick for the last six months.

Well, now is not a good time for us 'merkins in the Colonies to be
buying imported trikes due to the weak dollar.

Greenspeed trikes used to be a real bargain in the US when $1 AUS was
worth about $0.55 US, but are much less so now that the Australian
dollar has risen to over 90 US cents.

In uk.rec.cycling Bob C <patnbob@unwired> wrote:
> Comments on Riding after broken wrist. Got tipped off on a pothole
> yesterday, and face 6 weeks in plaster. Didn't take the advice about
> not stopping the fall with hands - it all happened too quickly!

Hands are very useful for stopping other more important parts, such as
head, from hitting things! It's no so much avoiding stopping with
hands as avoiding stopping with hands on the end of straight rigidly
extended arms. Keep a bend in the elbow!

For best recovery I'd start moving the hand and fingers around as soon
as possible as much as possible, in order to preserve range of
movement and stop too much muscle atrophy while in cast. After that
build up strength slowly and cautiously by doing a lot of what doesn't
hurt or feel strained, and as little as possible of what does.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

On Feb 19, 8:03 pm, Bob C <patnbob@unwired> wrote:
> Comments on Riding after broken wrist.  Got tipped off on a pothole
> yesterday, and face 6 weeks in plaster.  Didn't take the advice about
> not stopping the fall with hands - it all happened too quickly!  How
> soon did others get back on the bike?
> --
> Bob C

Hey Bob just wondering, how are you making out with your wrist ? I
reckon the cast is off now.