Riding after cramps

Rugger95

Feb 18, 2004
I rode in what was supposed to be a 64mi race this morning. I stopped at one of the rest stops about 38mi into the race (funny I call it a race, the last thing on my mind was my finishing position) and when I stood up to get back on my bike, I got a cramp in my right thigh. I stretched a bit, thought I could work through it, but about 2 miles later, the left started. I swear it came out of nowhere! A couple miles later, both legs were completely cramped up, and that was the end of my day. I have never cramped like this before. So, here I sit with some pretty tender legs, wondering how long I should wait before I jump back on the bike. I was originally planning on a short ride in the morning, but wonder if thats a good idea. Any thoughts?

Get some electrolytes into you now, won't take the immediate pain away, but will lesson cramps. More info latter.

Today I went on a 104 kM charity ride. Fairly hilly with cool temperature to start & did not warm up much by the end [10 to 17 degrees C] With these types of rides I carry all I need to ingest, cause I do not like to stop, a bun, banana, & 2 X 750 mm drinks of Gatorade.

Around the 85 k mark I began to cramp in the thighs, so I drank maybe 200 mm leaving a little. Within 5 ks cramping subsided a little but the last 5 ks the cramps intensified. I took it easy at the end & finished OK.

I am a cramp sufferer which I think is due to the fact I am a profuse sweater. I sought advice from a heath food store & they suggested I take a magnesium tab & a banana [for potassium] a day. Also recommended adding table salt to meals. Since then my cramping is generally very rare & mild.

Now the cooler weather has arrived I have been only taking 2 mag tabs a week, & only a couple of bananas a week. Been dieting the last couple of weeks as well, so my general electrolyte intake is probably also below normal.

My lesson from today is even in cool weather & planning a ride say longer than 60 kMs keep up electrolyte intake for the week prior.

Albert 50 said:
Today I went on a 104 kM charity ride. Fairly hilly with cool temperature to start & did not warm up much by the end [10 to 17 degrees C] With these types of rides I carry all I need to ingest, cause I do not like to stop, a bun, banana, & 2 X 750 mm drinks of Gatorade.

"Endura" looks like a better deal than Gatorade because it contains magnesium (good for preventing cramps) Don't know where you can get it though, other than OZ or NZ. If you find out let me know, I too would like to order some.

Check this site out. http://www.endura.com.au/content/?id=2

"Endura"
Does not contain carbs though...... I used to use another mix up electro/ carb drink which contained Magnesium, the name of which eludes me at the moment, but it is no longer available.

Albert 50 said:
"Endura"
Does not contain carbs though...... I used to use another mix up electro/ carb drink which contained Magnesium, the name of which eludes me at the moment, but it is no longer available.
take a calmag supplement with meals this should help

Most nuts contain a lot of potassium and magnesium. Also they are very nice with salt. Not too sure if it will stop cramps in the legs though. I think that the accepted wisdom is that unfortunately cramp occurs because of lack of fitness.

mogulhead said:
Most nuts contain a lot of potassium and magnesium. Also they are very nice with salt. Not too sure if it will stop cramps in the legs though. I think that the accepted wisdom is that unfortunately cramp occurs because of lack of fitness.
Hi All,

Well, take it from a used to be "serial cramper" plenty of electrolytes = ferkin fewer cramps!

Seriously though, you are probably correct, to a degree, in the fitness equation. If we look at e.g. professional football players [all codes] we see that if they play normal time, very few cramps. Take them into overtime & invariably more cramping occurs. So therefore these "unfit" individuals should improve their fitness.

Maybe if their regular games were 20 minutes longer every game their bodies might adapt & cramp less? This would support your post.

I also observe that if these pro footballers play in hotter conditions, causing greater sweating, they will cramp earlier & more often even in normal time. Supporting my electrolyte analysis.

I do have a reasonable fitness level, currently doing 8500 kMs per year @ around 31 ks/ h except easy days or 100 kM rides. I am a recreational rider doing all rides solo except about 3 charity rides a year.

Bye Al

Albert 50 said:
Hi All,

Well, take it from a used to be "serial cramper" plenty of electrolytes = ferkin fewer cramps!

Seriously though, you are probably correct, to a degree, in the fitness equation. If we look at e.g. professional football players [all codes] we see that if they play normal time, very few cramps. Take them into overtime & invariably more cramping occurs. So therefore these "unfit" individuals should improve their fitness.

Maybe if their regular games were 20 minutes longer every game their bodies might adapt & cramp less? This would support your post.

I also observe that if these pro footballers play in hotter conditions, causing greater sweating, they will cramp earlier & more often even in normal time. Supporting my electrolyte analysis.

I do have a reasonable fitness level, currently doing 8500 kMs per year @ around 31 ks/ h except easy days or 100 kM rides. I am a recreational rider doing all rides solo except about 3 charity rides a year.

Bye Al

Sorry didn't mean to imply you were unfit. I cramp all the time and I think I am fit. Just that during a race I will ask a lot more of myself than I ever do in training. Seems like I should give these electrolytes a go.

Cheers

mogulhead said:
Sorry didn't mean to imply you were unfit. I cramp all the time and I think I am fit. Just that during a race I will ask a lot more of myself than I ever do in training. Seems like I should give these electrolytes a go.

Cheers
No offence taken, we are all like minded on these forums, doing whatever it takes to assist "The Family"

I also try not to OD on electrolytes either.

Rides up to 60 ks...H2O only [unless very hot & humid]

80 ks... 1 x H2O + 1 x Carb/Elect [unless an event then extra C/E]

80+.....All C/E

Using the powder form you can also vary the strength of the mix to suit the conditions.

After I have sweated a lot, work, riding, or just bloody hot & humid [live on the coast nth of Sydney] I can sometimes feel minor muscle spasms. If I do I usually have about 300 ml of C/E mix & a second mag tab for the day.

I do not know the science behind the magnesium, in particular, compared to sodium & potassium but in brief the mag bottle says "Assists in the relief of muscular cramps & spasms, helps reduce muscle tension..."

Sillyoldtwit said:
"Endura" looks like a better deal than Gatorade because it contains magnesium (good for preventing cramps) Don't know where you can get it though, other than OZ or NZ. If you find out let me know, I too would like to order some.

Check this site out. http://www.endura.com.au/content/?id=2
http://www.pbsportsnutrition.com/pr_carbo_det.htm
http://www.pbsportsnutrition.com/pr_fluid_det.htm
These are the 2 drinks I referred to below:- [appears they are still available]
"Endura"