Riding around Europe and Asia.

OllySims

Aug 20, 2009
Hi all.

I've rode trials for about 5 years but have no idea about any other type of biking.

I'm quitting my job next year and travelling the world, Europe and Asia as much as possible by bike (Est. about 16k miles over a 2 year period).

I'm 6'6 and weigh 97kg (Slim) and of course need to carry a lot of equipment with me.

What type of bike do you recommend and any examples?

Anyone have any experience with this? Pros and cons?

Cheers,

Olly

Take a look at a company called Co-Motion online. They have a couple different touring bikes, using tubing and wheelbuilds designed for tandems. At your size and for that kind of trip, durability should be #1, and the Americano or Pangea should fit the bill. Pricey tho. Also the Rivendell Atlantis, or Bombadil if you want to use MTB-sized tires. Also pricey. Good luck, and I wish I was going.

Thank you for that info.

I checked the website and bikes and they look perfect!

But way out of my budget. I might have to ditch the bike when I get to Asia so don't want to spend over £1000 really.

Got a bike ordered which should arrive in 8 days, riding to France and along the North coast then back just to test it :p

fatandslow said:
What did you end up getting?

Sorry I took so long to reply!

Picked it up on Saturday.

It's a 2010 Merida tourer. (I'll get the proper model later and some photos)

Got a rear rack and some paniers on it already, just want to sort a new seat now as my ass is pretty sore :(