Riding at night: a strategy for survival?

On Fri, 2 May 2008 10:50:49 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On May 2, 12:38 pm, Gunner <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:43:53 +0200, Jon Bendtsen <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> >Thats right. Further more cops spend alot more time on the
>> >roads than other people do, all that increases the chance
>> >of getting involved in a car accident.

>> I forgot to point out to you and Rod, that based on your criteria,
>> truckers should have the highest fatality rates of all.
>>
>> Wouldnt that be correct?   They spend far far more time on the road
>> than anyone
>>
>> Gunner- Hide quoted text -

>Truckers are the best (and perhaps only good) drivers in America. They
>undergo the training we all should be having.

Heads up...Truckers get mostly OJT. On the Job Training. They undergo
a certification program to get their DLs....and thats just about all.

Here in California, there are a ton of truck driving schools, mostly
run by east Indians..often times Sihks. Those schools are designed
to teach one to pass the driving test for a Class 1.

Everything else comes with OJT.

Been there, done that. Got the Class 1 (with Hazmat indorsement)
though I dont drive big rigs anymore

I drive about 65,000 miles a year in my job as a self employed machine
tool repair tech (CNC lathes etc etc). Ive had a drivers license
since 1967. Most of my driving is Central. California down to the
Mexican border.

Ive had 2 moving violations in those 40 yrs. One for crossing over the
double yellow lines into the car pool lane (to avoid being sideswiped
by a buffoon on a cell phone, and the other for failure to stop at a
red light, when my brake lines exploded on a car Id not 30 minutes
before purchased. The previous owner had replaced the rusted out brake
lines with plain copper tubing. The mustang I T-boned in that
interection was the first and only motor vehicle accident Ive ever had
as well (knock on wood)

Ive drive 50,000 lbs of explosives over Whitehorse Pass, etc etc etc,
drilling rigs down Grocers Grade and so forth.

Nearly all OJT.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On May 2, 12:38 pm, Gunner <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:43:53 +0200, Jon Bendtsen <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> >Thats right. Further more cops spend alot more time on the
>> >roads than other people do, all that increases the chance
>> >of getting involved in a car accident.

>> I forgot to point out to you and Rod, that based on your criteria,
>> truckers should have the highest fatality rates of all.
>>
>> Wouldnt that be correct?   They spend far far more time on the road
>> than anyone
>>
>> Gunner- Hide quoted text -

>Truckers are the best (and perhaps only good) drivers in America. They
>undergo the training we all should be having.

Heads up...Truckers get mostly OJT. On the Job Training. They undergo
a certification program to get their DLs....and thats just about all.

Here in California, there are a ton of truck driving schools, mostly
run by east Indians..often times Sihks. Those schools are designed
to teach one to pass the driving test for a Class 1.

Everything else comes with OJT.

Been there, done that. Got the Class 1 (with Hazmat indorsement)
though I dont drive big rigs anymore

I drive about 65,000 miles a year in my job as a self employed machine
tool repair tech (CNC lathes etc etc). Ive had a drivers license
since 1967. Most of my driving is Central. California down to the
Mexican border.

Ive had 2 moving violations in those 40 yrs. One for crossing over the
double yellow lines into the car pool lane (to avoid being sideswiped
by a buffoon on a cell phone, and the other for failure to stop at a
red light, when my brake lines exploded on a car Id not 30 minutes
before purchased. The previous owner had replaced the rusted out brake
lines with plain copper tubing. The mustang I T-boned in that
interection was the first and only motor vehicle accident Ive ever had
as well (knock on wood)

Ive drive 50,000 lbs of explosives over Whitehorse Pass, etc etc etc,
drilling rigs down Grocers Grade and so forth.

Nearly all OJT.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

On May 2, 11:08 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> ComandanteBanana wrote:
> > [...]

> > Truckers are the best (and perhaps only good) drivers in America. They
> > undergo the training we all should be having.

> That includes following at a distance of less than 10 feet at 70 mph?
> Not slowing down when the fog limits visibility so much one can barely
> see the overpasses when going under them?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Has it occurred to you that they want you out of the passing lane?
They are pretty much the only ones in America to observe something
close to lane discipline.

Cars do all the time in Europe too.

ComandanteBanana wrote:
> On May 2, 11:08 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> ComandanteBanana wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Truckers are the best (and perhaps only good) drivers in America. They
>>> undergo the training we all should be having.

>> That includes following at a distance of less than 10 feet at 70 mph?
>> Not slowing down when the fog limits visibility so much one can barely
>> see the overpasses when going under them?

> Has it occurred to you that they want you out of the passing lane?

Has it occurred to you that I was NOT in the passing lane and that it is
stupid of you to assume that I was?

> They are pretty much the only ones in America to observe something
> close to lane discipline.

Really? I see plenty of large trucks in the left and middle lanes moving
slower than traffic. There is at least some justification for the middle
lane, since too many stupid drivers try to merge at 2/3 of the speed of
traffic.

> Cars do all the time in Europe too.

Do what? Do these European cars have drivers?