Riding at night in the rain - commuting

robalert

Jun 8, 2005
who braves this one?

i know as a motorist, visibility is poor, so i just avoid commuting at night with heavy rain

am I being a wuss

:confused:

I am one that does. The best bit of kit I use is my fluro green safety vest with reflective panels. That thing stands out from a long way back.

If I must I will (a wet forecast & stready rain in the morning means I train-it). I’m lucky as 80% of my commute is off roads & where I do share with cars there is a fat bicycle lane all to myself.
Visability is an imporetant thing, but I have seen many a fluro jacket collecting themselves off the raod after a coming-together with traffic.
My main issue in dark & wet going is adhesion to the road surface & my visability to pick up debis in my path, as this is what has brought me down in these condition before.

Proximity to cars at speed is a biggie as the spray off cars/trucks can knock you for six if the speed difference is great (between you & the traffic).

Before the advent of bicycles lanes & paths on my route, in dark & wet going I always took the long way around which avoided traffic as much as I could help it.

I personally hate getting wet by rain commuting, as it means so much work for me prepping for the next day (drying off gear I have to re-wear, once over of the bike –lubing etc. )

I recently bought a flouro yellow Netti cycling rain jacket. My workmates poke fun at me although they understand that it would make me more visible at night.
I don't mind cycling in these conditions but I certainly change the way I ride; ie defensively and more cautiously. Also, as with my regular riding style, I try to preempt what is happening before me in the traffic and so slow or at least cover my brakes in situations where I think motorists, pedestrians or other cyclists are suddenly going to end up in my path. Oh, adding an extra light or two can also be useful along with reflective strips on helmet and bike.

1id10t said:
I recently bought a flouro yellow Netti cycling rain jacket. My workmates poke fun at me although they understand that it would make me more visible at night.
I don't mind cycling in these conditions but I certainly change the way I ride; ie defensively and more cautiously. Also, as with my regular riding style, I try to preempt what is happening before me in the traffic and so slow or at least cover my brakes in situations where I think motorists, pedestrians or other cyclists are suddenly going to end up in my path. Oh, adding an extra light or two can also be useful along with reflective strips on helmet and bike.
I'm lit up like a christmas tree but i am still nervous

i got 2 rear LEDs (on the saddle bag and on my backpack)

wear a netti yellow rain jacket

handle bar flasher

knog light on the helmet

10W and 5W vision sticks on the front

yer reckon they'll see me??:p

getting wet on the way to work is a hassle though... i work in an office job without a shower, so my hair is usually soaking..... cycling clothes all wet

i don't really care on the way back...

also, how do you stop the spray from the front wheel going into your mouth, all over your face, up your nose???

ah yes, and the lovely black line up your pants/jacket/backpack

i don't mind riding in the rain for fun but not for a commute...

but i suppose it may be a case of getting used to it

robalert said:
I'm lit up like a christmas tree but i am still nervous

i got 2 rear LEDs (on the saddle bag and on my backpack)

wear a netti yellow rain jacket

handle bar flasher

knog light on the helmet

10W and 5W vision sticks on the front

yer reckon they'll see me??:p

getting wet on the way to work is a hassle though... i work in an office job without a shower, so my hair is usually soaking..... cycling clothes all wet

i don't really care on the way back...

also, how do you stop the spray from the front wheel going into your mouth, all over your face, up your nose???

ah yes, and the lovely black line up your pants/jacket/backpack

i don't mind riding in the rain for fun but not for a commute...

but i suppose it may be a case of getting used to it
The best rainwear is very good, waterproof and breathable. The jacket should be yellow, and leggings reflective to show up in the beam of dipped headlights. A Goretex cover can be bought that fits over your helmet. Mudguards will protect you from spray from your own wheels, and will also be appreciated by any other cyclist close behind you. A steady light at each end, fastened directly to the bike and not obscured by luggage, is a legal requirement as well as a sensible precaution. (What are vision sticks?)

I ride regardless of weather and darkness, although I'll wait a few minutes if it's really pelting. Any cyclist in the dark should be maximally lit and reflective, regardless of weather.(http://www.cyclingforums.com/t232127-what-to-do-when-the-bad-guys-get-you.html :mad: )
I only take pains to "waterproof" myself if it would be unbearably cold if I didn't, and even then I wear only a ratty old goretex jacket that's good for nothing else. I keep workclothes at work and have access to hot showers.
Mudguards would be good but I've never gotten around to getting any (I guess I musn't care that much :) ).
Braking distances really increase in the wet, so I slow down a lot. (The Pro Race tyres probably have something to do with that!)
I go XC skiing every few years so that the memory of putting on sodden, frozen clothes stays fresh in my mind. This comparator makes it easier to pull on wet cycling clothes at work in the afternoon.

Don Shipp said:
The best rainwear is very good, waterproof and breathable. The jacket should be yellow, and leggings reflective to show up in the beam of dipped headlights. A Goretex cover can be bought that fits over your helmet. Mudguards will protect you from spray from your own wheels, and will also be appreciated by any other cyclist close behind you. A steady light at each end, fastened directly to the bike and not obscured by luggage, is a legal requirement as well as a sensible precaution. (What are vision sticks?)
vision sticks are high powered halogens....

www.niteflux.com.au

very bright compared to the average LED... mostly used to MTBing rather than road riding

I go XC skiing every few years so that the memory of putting on sodden, frozen clothes stays fresh in my mind. This comparator makes it easier to pull on wet cycling clothes at work in the afternoon.[/QUOTE]
:eek: You are an animal.........How could anything make that easier.
Personally if I get to work wet, I freeball the day away and if my stuff isn't dry at COB I wear the office clothes on the commute. They probably need a wash anyway

I ride in the rain at night and enjoy it. Maybe I am a bit nuts. I have a front fender which I take if it is forecast to rain ( it is plastic and hooks on to a L shaped bracket which is attached to the forks). I only use a front fender to stop oily, dirty water spraying up into my eyes. I dont have a rear fender as I am going to get soaked anyway.

I have abright yellow Tioga plastic jacket that keeps my top half dry and somewhat warmer. I have a spair pair of shorts in a locker at work in case I get soaked on the way to work.

I commute in all weather. I HATE driving in traffic, I'd rather get rained on in the dark than drive myself nuts. But then I'm probably nuts for cycling in the rain in the dark... I do take all measures to make myself visible as posts above mention.

"i got 2 rear LEDs (on the saddle bag and on my backpack)"

Good so far but.....LED's on wobbly flexible bits like backpacks, bags, jackets etc are not a good idea. The reason for this is that the light beam from LED's is fairly well focussed so that it is very bright only when viewed from pretty much straight behind you (which makes ense).

If the light sags or points off that line by much (which it will if not nice and firmly fixed), that nasty motorist won't see nearly as much nice red light as you think he does.

Seen it 100's of times. So my tip is.... a couple of nice powerful ones, firmly fixed to your frame, seat-post or rack, nice fresh batteries (they get wimpy in the cold), pointed straight behind.

Doesn't matter if it's raining or not, I still ride. Haven't a lot of choice really, the only other option is to get the train and get SWMBO to pick me up from the station which is a ten minute drive away. Fsck that.

I always wear a safety vest, even in sunlight. It's just a habit now, don't care if I look like a dork, at least I won't forget it when I need it.

Opticube and NiteFlux on the front, flashe on helmet, four led flashers in the rear air vents of helmets and a five led flashr on the back of the bike. Panniers have big reflective bits on them, I'm pretty visible.

Down side is cleaning the bike when I get in. Yeuck!