Riding between cars

daunce

May 1, 2003
Hi all,

Just curious as what people think about riding between cars that have stopped at intersections.

If there aren't many cars stopped already at the lights, i'll just stop behind the first car i come across, as i know i'd be p*ssed off if a cyclist went up the inside only to slow me down when the lights went green.

Thoughts?

(i dont ride in that much traffic, so i dont hold anything against motorists...yet)

At least here in Victoria, Australia, it's completely legal for cyclists to pass to the left of cars waiting at an intersection.

For me it all depends on the road and traffic. If it's a road with a marked bike lane, I do it almost all the time (as there is also usually a bike-specific spot at the front of the intersection to wait.)

When there is no marked lane, I don't bother, unless there is enough space to do it conveniently (like heaps of parked cars in the left lane, making it useless for car traffic anyway.)

If there are only a couple of cars waiting at the intersection, I'll just stay behind them and save them the potential frustration.

Originally posted by rek
If there are only a couple of cars waiting at the intersection, I'll just stay behind them and save them the potential frustration.

Good move, I do the same thing as I dont fancy getting run over by some bogan ;)

cheers

i'm in vic also.

i thought i was the only one being "too nice".

Thanks for the input. I feel normal.

Depends on the time of year. During a Queensland summer, I'll seek out the nearest available shade. Other times, I have no issues picking my way through traffic if it's heavy. Funny thing I've noticed about Surfers Paradise (particularly during school holidays), they generally don't get the opportunity to pass me again.

I pass through stopped cars frequently, when coming up from behind, I am beginning to become a little unsafe, but, through gridlocked intersections use complete caution, make sure they see you and know what your doing. I live in heavy traffic, in rush hour I can pass a car on a straight road and for 5 miles I can keep a lead on them.

I go up the front if there is enough room. I'm sure it is legal in Sydney, so long as the situation is safe. But at the front I will usually move to the side and wait for the cars to pass first. That way I don't get caught a couple of cars back between the traffic, with someone impatient person behind waiting to drive over the top of me.

At least at the front of the starting grid you can get out of the road if necessary, or be on your toes and off as soon as the light changes.

While I'm not too crazy about the average motorist, the vast majority are probably pretty decent (as opposed to cyclists who, as we all know, are really nice people!)

When there is no marked lane, I don't bother, unless there is enough space to do it conveniently (like heaps of parked cars in the left lane, making it useless for car traffic anyway.)

I do the same, though I track stand at the lights and get a good start from lights. If the trafic is heavy I might sit in the lane where cars can see me and will aim to travel at road speed, otherwise the trafic in Newcastle is usually happy to ride around me.

Try some of those moves in Altamonte and you'll be a hood ornament.....

I do go to the front (on the Right of the cars).....I usually make it through the intersection before they do, but with posted speed being 45mph and most drivers get to that speed just past the intersection.....

That is something I hadn't mentioned earlier.......not just the amount of traffic, or the fact that 18wheelers drive this route....but the speed limit is 45mph through most of my ride.....(except through Apopka which slows to 35mph)

I, too, try not to make a driver pass me twice (or three or four times in one particular stretch of stoplights). On the stretch of road where passing me isn't a problem I scoot to the front so I'm more visible -- there are also cars coming the other way making left turns and I want 'em to see me.

i ride in socal... if the line of cars is short, i'll pull up behind them. if the line is long, i'll pick my way up as far as i can paying attention to cars w/ turn signals or angled wheels.. sometimes I'll ride 1/2 way up and stop ahead and to the side of a car... it also depends on the street. if it's narrow i will stay behind cars so they don't have to pass twice, cause that's just not fair to them.. especially since passing cyclists tend to make drivers really nervous and can put them at risk when they're stupid.

In Texas, the law allows cyclists to take the whole lane, and here around Dallas that's what I do. But if I am going to act like a car while traveling, I ought to act like one at the stoplights too. So I never pass cars waiting at intersections.

In Texas: cars and bikes- same laws, same rights, same roads

I think the rule in Alberta is as far to the right as reasonable , so can take lane if you want to , which I do if going under underpass and no curb so no room for car to pass if the wanted to. And you can pass on the right.

I try to zigzag in and out of the carz as much as possible so as to get them used to cyclists. I do this at 20 or better so they REALLY get used to it. Lights smights, play chicken, get's em goin everytime. It's like a videogame with no re-set, talk bout a game of chance......whew!......now THAT'S excitement
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
!!

Cool
eek.gif
as ****, Zion. Downloaded the vid. Will be riding exact same streets next June when my honey (brooklyn girl) and I go on vaca there. She wouldn't let me bring the bike last june (she knew I'd dissappear) when we went but she's finally relented
biggrin.gif
. Doubt I ride quite like that though. 40 now, break easier.