Riding Bicycles Along With the Harleys

Gus Riley

Jan 12, 2004
Yesterday we went out again on the 6th annual Poker run here to 7 of the area Veteran's Clubs. A couple of us ride our bicycles on it. We get a metric century out of it.

This year the weather was clear but was the first real cold snap morning...39 degrees when we started. The weather report stated there would only be 2-4 mile winds from the NE. We got started with the wind blowing from predicted direction but more at like 15mph! Bummer, it was in our faces for the first 30 miles.

We were happy (but cold) in the knowledge that once we made the turn, we have it (the wind) mostly at our back (Except for the last ten miles.

We made our stops, got our cards, had some refreshments (sometimes water, sometimes a beer...once a Mountain Dew and a shot of Jose! :rolleyes: )

We actually arrived sooner than most of the motorcyclists. Those at each stop made us feel we were part of the ride and some were amazed we were so crazy to be riding soooo far!! :D

We made the turn and lo and behold the wind had changed!! :mad: Now we rode a long while longer into the wind. But that last 10 miles were we thought would be a headwind fight was actually at our backs! :D

None of us had a winning hand. I was looking for a 6 to complete a straight.

It was a fun time and a ride of a different flavor. If anyone is in our area next year, come join us! All are welcome. The posters read "Bring what you brung!"

Riding amongst Harleys you probably did finish before most of them, with all the wrenching they have to do every 10 miles to keep them together. I bet you had to watch out for the oil they left behind on the road.

dbackmtg said:
Riding amongst Harleys you probably did finish before most of them, with all the wrenching they have to do every 10 miles to keep them together. I bet you had to watch out for the oil they left behind on the road.
my moms boyfriend has a harley (2007 electraglide ultra classic) and its been very reliable except for a few MINOR adjustments that harley made optional, and free.

he had a 1998 for 3-4 years and never had an ounce of trouble with that one, either. In fact he says he likes the riding position much better than hondas and the like...but thats personal preference too. he changes his oil and filter before they need it, and has seasonal tune-ups. pricy, but its a part of responsible motorcycle ownership. Probably the guys that have problems/leak oil are A: on older machines with LOTS of miles (HD guys ride a lot), or B: are trash themselves and cant afford the upkeep ON TOP of the cost of the bike.

on top of it all, his bike gets about 50mpg. its a BIG bike too...heavy not too aero...carrying two riders (my mom too). thats good for a big v-twin...

Of course i prefer bicycle...i was thinking about getting a bike, but id rather play with human powered cycles :)

dbackmtg said:
Heard that. There were couple of a harley on the side of the road on I70 today. I've ridden motorcycles for most of my life and I've never seen a harley I'd ride. Live begins at 150mph and if you aren't scraping pegs, you arent riding. When I'm not on my bicycle, its crotch rockets for me.

What do hound dogs and harleys have in common?
Initials are the same and they both spend a lot of time it the back of pickup trucks.

A friend of mine likes to pull up next to harleys and say "at least my briggs and straton will cut grass".

None of them broke down. They had as much fun as we did.

I remember one line I heard about Harleys that I liked and good heartingly pass on to them...especially when we're riding our GoldWing...

"Did you know that 95% of all Harleys are still on the road today?!.....

Scroll down to the bottom for the rest.

"The other 5% made it home! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Perhaps we bicyclists should consider dressing a little differently so that we, too, could stike fear in the hearts of "citizens."

Pendejo said:
Perhaps we bicyclists should consider dressing a little differently so that we, too, could stike fear in the hearts of "citizens."
I think you might be way behind in this Harley stereotype thing. There are now a bunch of very civil and civilly dressed Harley riders out there.

Besides, considering the way we dress, who are we as cyclists to criticize another group's dressing habits?? :) :D :D

Gus Riley said:
I think you might be way behind in this Harley stereotype thing. There are now a bunch of very civil and civilly dressed Harley riders out there.

Besides, considering the way we dress, who are we as cyclists to criticize another group's dressing habits?? :) :D :D
Maybe where you live, around here, they are greasy scuzballs, beards, dew rags, and leather with patches.

One guy posed the question, why do harley riders wear $500 in leather and an ash tray on thier heads and us sportbike riders wear $500 helmets (mine was $616) and Tshirts and shorts.

stlblues said:
Maybe where you live, around here, they are greasy scuzballs, beards, dew rags, and leather with patches.

One guy posed the question, why do harley riders wear $500 in leather and an ash tray on thier heads and us sportbike riders wear $500 helmets (mine was $616) and Tshirts and shorts.
harley riders arnt racing in and out of traffic at speeds up to and sometimes over 150mph. unless they have a V-rod... besides, they value all the tattoos on their body, the leather will protect their skin. fall off a bike at even 40mph with t-shirt and shorts your gonna be laying in a pile of blood....

mongooseboy said:
harley riders arnt racing in and out of traffic at speeds up to and sometimes over 150mph. unless they have a V-rod... besides, they value all the tattoos on their body, the leather will protect their skin. fall off a bike at even 40mph with t-shirt and shorts your gonna be laying in a pile of blood....

Pretty much what he said. I'm not a Harley guy....rode my father-in-law's Custom Classic a couple times and hated it....but the Harley demographic has completely changed. That vast majority of Harley riders are either older professional types, yuppies, or something quasi-like that. The idea of Harley riders being Hells Angels was outdated years ago.

What isn't outdated is the number of idiots that somehow got the idea that the street is some sort of racetrack. What's funny is damn near every street hotshot that I saw making it to the track to go racing--where things are really fast--ended up being the slowest, most timit riders on the course. To damn near a man/woman, racers know that the street is no place for "life begins above 150." Anyone dragging their sportbike pegs on the road has no clue just what risk their putting everyone else at, nor do they have any idea about where the edge is and what it means to actually be in control. I'm all in favor of street racers, the "life begins at 150 crowd", finding a grill. They give the rest of us riders a bad name.

Stlblues so lazy that his thought can only range as far as stereotypes. Real critical thought has completely evaded him and remains pitifully far from his grasp.

Boy, I didn't want to get the Harley vs sportbike crowd going. There's nothing wrong with a Harley. It's all in what type of machine you desire. Most motorcyclist get along nowadays no matter what one rides. There are a few idiots out there but most get along.

dbackmtg said:
Boy, I didn't want to get the Harley vs sportbike crowd going. There's nothing wrong with a Harley. It's all in what type of machine you desire. Most motorcyclist get along nowadays no matter what one rides. There are a few idiots out there but most get along.

Nah, you didn't get anything started. It's not your fault that some "150mph Hero Wannabe" chimed in. And you're right: these days, most motorcyclists get along. We have to. Motorcyclists have a compromised image, in the eyes of car drivers, like cyclists do. I used to occasionally ride with my work partner when we was paramedics, him riding his Harley and me on my GSXR750.

dbackmtg said:
I like my GoldWing and wouldn't trade it for a Harley but I sure would like to have the same quality chrome that Harleys have. They are some beautiful machines.

Gus Riley said:
I like my GoldWing and wouldn't trade it for a Harley but I sure would like to have the same quality chrome that Harleys have. They are some beautiful machines.
yep, but ill probably never own a harley either, as much as i like them...just too much money and way too much preventative maintanance to keep warranty...

ill get a honda or kawisaki most likely. I like the Ninja 250R (yep underpowered) but i dont want speed, i want mileage, and the 250 is said to get between 60-75 depending on how you drive it, best of all: $3,000 brand new! :)

for now id much much rather have my bicycles...speaking of which i better get to bed so i can get up for a ride :)

I've had a 2000 FXD for about 4 years now. It's a money pit, but my brothers and I all ride so it's great for family bonding. Something we didn't do much of after the golf bug.

It's funny. I ride out in the country (bicycle) alot and the only idiot on a bike I've encountered was on a Sportbike (squid in this here parts). Nobody on a Harley has ever come close. People in cars is another subject...

And yes I do catch h&$# for the bicycle clothes, but who cares. They're just brothers.

alienator said:
"150mph Hero Wannabe" chimed in.
I don't do to be any kind of hero. I do it because I enjoy it and like to push myself. Almost all of the time its on quiet, deserted backroads. No one around but me and sometimes a friend that likes to do the same. Aside from myself, I may injure a cow or sheep. I like the adrenaline rush, I don't drink or smoke and thats my vice. Sorry, cruizin puts me to sleep. If I'm going to ride, I'm going to RIDE. And sorry, I know what I'm doing on the street or track. From my last wreck as a kid learning, 34yrs without a scratch, road , and nothing more than a few scratches dirt.

stlblues said:
Almost all of the time its on quiet, deserted backroads. No one around but me and sometimes a friend that likes to do the same. Aside from myself, I may injure a cow or sheep.
You have also bragged about racing your truck on public roads with your children in the back seat.

Which do you consider them to be, cows or sheep?

Scotty_Dog said:
You have also bragged about racing your truck on public roads with your children in the back seat.

Which do you consider them to be, cows or sheep?
ignorance gets people killed...

150mph on public roads is beyond ignorance. back roads are still public roads, and you are STILL commiting a crime. i hope your caught someday and if was the judge, youd never have a license again. you will lose it for a while if your caught, i know here in NY 40mph over or more is instant good bye license, at least thats what the manual says, i dont tend to test these laws...

stlblues said:
I don't do to be any kind of hero. I do it because I enjoy it and like to push myself. Almost all of the time its on quiet, deserted backroads. No one around but me and sometimes a friend that likes to do the same. Aside from myself, I may injure a cow or sheep. I like the adrenaline rush, I don't drink or smoke and thats my vice. Sorry, cruizin puts me to sleep. If I'm going to ride, I'm going to RIDE. And sorry, I know what I'm doing on the street or track. From my last wreck as a kid learning, 34yrs without a scratch, road , and nothing more than a few scratches dirt.

Oh, I see. You must be the road rippin' sensei, then. Uh-huh. Just like all the other wannabes thinkin' they're real hardmen on the road. Idiots everyone of 'em. Anyone who thinks they can "rip it up" on the streets and maintain control is a freakin' idiot. The track is the most controlled environment there is, and unexpected **** happens there, too. At least on the track you have margin for error.

FWIW, bein' a street god who does the odd trackday doesn't mean you know anything about riding fast, hard, or whatever. That's doubly so when ya remember that you are the same ***** who bragged about putting his kids on the line.

Calling CPS: there are some kids that need to be removed from their ignoramus dad's custody.

The track is the most controlled environment there is, and unexpected **** happens there, too.

Like the cracks in the pavement at Nelson's Ledges.

I have a friend that busted four ribs and tore up a shoulder so badly he needed surgery to repair it while coming onto the S/F straight.

Of course, on-track it's 9/10's or 10/10th's. Road hammering need not be anywhere near that fast and you can get your ass in a sling.

Speed was why I got rid of the GSXR1100. My H-D's are slow. The Indian is even slower!