riding bikes ROCKS

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bleve, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Today, something must have been in the air in Melbourne (Dutchy's old
    socks? Euan's knicks? I don't wish to speculate) but the Eastern side
    of the city was in just about total gridlock. Canterbury Rd was *not*
    moving from Vermont to around Surrey Hills ... once I threaded through
    the carpit, the rest of my ride in was gorgeous. Sunny, cool, hint of
    tailwind ... and all the cars must have been stuck in the jam ..
    because the traffic was really light from Surrey Hills onwards.

    I saw the Eastern carpark chock solid from Hoddle to Doncaster Rd
    (inbound) when riding out of the city at ~7am too ... amazing ... all
    those cars, going nowhere, burning oil ...

    Anyone know what caused it? I heard some truck crashed at ~1am on the
    SE carpark, but that doesn't explain the mess on the Eastern or
    Canterbury Rd? Pah... if they'd been on bikes .. it'd have not been an
    issue. Imagine if the freeways were turned over to bikes? Mmmmmm Soon
    my precious, soon ....

    Tags:

  2. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "Bleve" wrote in message ...

    > I saw the Eastern carpark chock solid from Hoddle to Doncaster Rd
    > (inbound) when riding out of the city at ~7am too ... amazing ... all
    > those cars, going nowhere, burning oil ...

    The eastern also had traffic banked up from Blackburn Rd+ to Springvale Rd
    outbound!.. something I've never seen before in the mornings..

    cheers,
    GPL

  3. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009

    It took me 20 minutes to move 200 metres (by car) from Maroondah H'way onto Springvale Rd this morning @ 7.20. It then took another 15 minutes to get through some train boom gates with a perverse sense of humour ie lets flash and stay down for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, let one train pass (evenutally) lift for 30 seconds and repeat. I suspect malfunctioning gates to be the reason it took so long to get onto Springvale Rd.

    But even wierder - NO TRAFFIC ON SPRINGVALE RD heading towards Brandon Park. A 20 minute trip took me 10. All the traffic was heading back the other way towards Maroonday H'way (towards the freaked out boom gates). Now.. that was freaky.

    Got a text msg whilst sitting in the car from significant other saying - you should have taken the bike dear! :rolleyes:

  4. Rhubarb

    Rhubarb Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    <SNIP>

    > Anyone know what caused it? I heard some truck crashed at ~1am on the
    > SE carpark, but that doesn't explain the mess on the Eastern or
    > Canterbury Rd? Pah... if they'd been on bikes .. it'd have not been an
    > issue. Imagine if the freeways were turned over to bikes? Mmmmmm Soon
    > my precious, soon ....

    Yes a B double crashed at the beginning of the Domain Tunnel and one it's
    trailers smashed across the concrete barrier also blocking the exit of the
    Burnley tunnel. At least that is how I pictured it from radio reports. It
    may have been the other way round or slightly different.

    The Burnley tunnel had 2 lanes reopened at about 6am. The Domain tunnel had
    one lane open sometime afterwards.

    It seems you take out a major aterial road in Melbourne and it puts the
    entire city into a gridlock.

  5. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Rhubarb wrote:

    > It seems you take out a major aterial road in Melbourne and it puts the
    > entire city into a gridlock.

    Makes for a nice ride in on the pushy. More major arterial blockages
    please!

    Maybe one or two of the sheep in cars saw a bike riding past and
    thought "wow, I wonder if I could do that?"

    Nah .. they'd just turn the stereo up louder and whinge about traffic
    and petrol prices!

  6. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-12-13, Bleve (aka Bruce)

    > Today, something must have been in the air in Melbourne (Dutchy's old
    > socks? Euan's knicks? I don't wish to speculate) but the Eastern side
    > of the city was in just about total gridlock. Canterbury Rd was *not*
    > moving from Vermont to around Surrey Hills ... once I threaded through
    > the carpit, the rest of my ride in was gorgeous. Sunny, cool, hint of
    > tailwind ... and all the cars must have been stuck in the jam ..
    > because the traffic was really light from Surrey Hills onwards.

    The weather was perfect.

    Slight tailwind for me too, although I was feeling a bit too tired to
    get mich speed up.

    And my commute had bugger all cars on it.

    --
    TimC
    "Thanks to the joint efforts of OpenOffice, Mozilla, and a few others, Emacs

  7. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-12-13, warrwych (aka Bruce)
    > It took me 20 minutes to move 200 metres (by car) from Maroondah H'way
    > onto Springvale Rd this morning @ 7.20. It then took another 15 minutes
    > to get through some train boom gates with a perverse sense of humour ie
    > lets flash and stay down for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, let one train
    > pass (evenutally) lift for 30 seconds and repeat. I suspect
    > malfunctioning gates to be the reason it took so long to get onto
    > Springvale Rd.

    Not just a station nearby with a broken down train?

    I watched and laughed when we arrived at Pakenham on Saturday. A
    freight train with 5 engines and a bunch load of freight .... um
    .... trucks? .... passed very slowly. Then eventually the last one
    passed, and the train stopped, with just a foot of truck hanging over
    the road, so the boom gates stayed down for ages more.

    And of course, one car went around the boom gates, and a bunch
    followed. I hoped for a commuter train to come flying along the other
    track -- that would have been pretty funny in a sick way.

    --
    TimC
    Disclaimer: Due to feline interference, this post may contain typographical

  8. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    *Haughty cough* I'll have you knoe my knicks get washed after every wear ;-)

    Nepean Highway was pretty much at a standstill from Centre Road in. I was in a real hurry too, overslept so was late for a meeting (which got cancelled luckily) so I was taking more risks than usual i.e. lane splitting left most and second leftmost lane. Actually in those conditions I find that safer 'cause vehicles keep away from each other better than they keep away from the kerb.

    Had a few vehicles make a definite move out of my way as I was charging down the road, keeping a more or less steady 30kph going. Was bloody great :)

  9. Rhubarb

    Rhubarb Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Rhubarb wrote:
    >
    > > It seems you take out a major aterial road in Melbourne and it puts the
    > > entire city into a gridlock.

    > Makes for a nice ride in on the pushy. More major arterial blockages
    > please!
    >
    > Maybe one or two of the sheep in cars saw a bike riding past and
    > thought "wow, I wonder if I could do that?"
    >
    > Nah .. they'd just turn the stereo up louder and whinge about traffic
    > and petrol prices!

    Nothing quite like leaving grid locked cars for dead.

    And no doubt whinge about cyclists taking up the road they pay for! ;)

  10. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    The Pakenham line seems to have a lot of trouble with trains functioning (or not) and signal function etc. I have travelled on it too many times!!!

    Not really sure what the go was, and it may well have been a train stuck somewhere. Seems odd when the rest of the eastern 'burbs also experienced blockages.

  11. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Clusterfcuk par excellence:
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...truck-overturns/2005/12/13/1134236024521.html

  12. "GPLama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Bleve" wrote in message ...
    >>
    >> I saw the Eastern carpark chock solid from Hoddle to Doncaster Rd
    >> (inbound) when riding out of the city at ~7am too ... amazing ... all
    >> those cars, going nowhere, burning oil ...
    >>

    > The eastern also had traffic banked up from Blackburn Rd+ to Springvale Rd
    > outbound!.. something I've never seen before in the mornings..

    B-double truck overturned on the Monash Trollway. All in-bound lanes blocked
    until about 7.00am , so everyone from down Glen Waverley way heads up to
    take the Eastern or Canterbury Rd. And Blackburn Rd rail boomgates were
    stuck down so no-one could get through to the Eastern very easily.

    It's fun to ride the bike on these days.

    Cheers
    Peter

  13. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    I'm happy, got my 150k for the day, took photos of Sandown, one of my
    lads got 2nd *again*, and a free dinner. Mmmmm

  14. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    East Melbourne is missing the hippy that's what!

    With no nutter cyclist to yell at the cars, keep them on the straight and narrow, they don't know what to do :p

    hippy
    - as full of himself as ever!

  15. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > Bleve Wrote:
    > > Today, something must have been in the air in Melbourne (Dutchy's old
    > > socks? Euan's knicks? I don't wish to speculate) but the Eastern side
    > > of the city was in just about total gridlock. Canterbury Rd was *not*
    > > moving from Vermont to around Surrey Hills ... once I threaded through
    > > the carpit, the rest of my ride in was gorgeous. Sunny, cool, hint of
    > > tailwind ... and all the cars must have been stuck in the jam ..
    > > because the traffic was really light from Surrey Hills onwards.
    > >
    > > I saw the Eastern carpark chock solid from Hoddle to Doncaster Rd
    > > (inbound) when riding out of the city at ~7am too ... amazing ... all
    > > those cars, going nowhere, burning oil ...
    > >
    > > Anyone know what caused it? I heard some truck crashed at ~1am on the
    > > SE carpark, but that doesn't explain the mess on the Eastern or
    > > Canterbury Rd? Pah... if they'd been on bikes .. it'd have not been
    > > an
    > > issue. Imagine if the freeways were turned over to bikes? Mmmmmm
    > > Soon
    > > my precious, soon ....

    > East Melbourne is missing the hippy that's what!
    >
    > With no nutter cyclist to yell at the cars, keep them on the straight
    > and narrow, they don't know what to do :p
    >
    > hippy
    > - as full of himself as ever!
    >
    > --
    > hippy

    What's the runner babbling about? I hear he thinks he's a cyclist.

    Tam

  16. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009

    or home sick.... ;)

  17. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Blah, blah, blah.. you're delerious from your 50k. :p

    I can still ride, I just need some cheesy music and a gym wench telling me to "stand up, imagine yourself riding up a hill.."

    hippy
    "You've changed.."

  18. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    *sob*

    The double summer I enjoyed bites back..
    Now I get to listen to you lot talk about your racing while I worry about whether I have an ironed shirt to wear to work.

    Kill me.

    hippy
    - In other news: Double-header of Fat Boy Slim on Fri followed by Chemical Warfare Sat! Mwuahahahah! Even in winter, London rocks! :D
    (Still wanna race though.. :))

  19. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    > >
    > > What's the runner babbling about? I hear he thinks he's a cyclist.
    > >

    > Blah, blah, blah.. you're delerious from your 50k. :p
    >
    > I can still ride, I just need some cheesy music and a gym wench telling
    > me to "stand up, imagine yourself riding up a hill.."

    mmm, gym wench ....

    > hippy
    > "You've changed.."

    Not your socks though

    "I can smell, smell, smell you ..."
    "smell you from here, whoa!"

    > --
    > hippy

  20. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Ironed shirt????????????????????????IRONED SHIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? you're already dead man!

    fingers in ears - fat boy??? - I cant hear you I cant hear you. And racing next week is........ :p :p