riding during this time of year

Micheal Artinda

Guest
I live in Northern Ontario, in Canada. Due to a loss of my
vehicle, i have had do resort to riding my bike to work.
(or atleast part of the way to catch a bus) the distance is
over 20 km.

The temperature today was -10C with no wind. I had an
interesting hting happen, and was wondering if its normal,
and if not, how to make it better.

Due to the distance, I started to wear cycling shorts under
a pair of jogging pants. i have never worn cycling shorts
before, and now know what I was missing. I was also wearing
a sweatshirt, a hooded sweat shirt, and a nylon jacket. I
also had a headband and a set of headphones over my ears. I
had a pair of ski goggles over my eyes.

Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around my
mouth got cold, not realy cold, but cooler than my ears, top
of my head, and what all was covered by my shorts. is this
normal? what could i wear that could even out the temp.?

any suggestions?

Micheal Artindale "a true northerner"

P.S. the padding on the shorts also keep my butt warm
sitting outside waiting for the bus.

everything you ever wanted to know about icebiking.

http://users.rcn.com/icebike/

charlie

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 21:06:54 -0500, "Micheal Artindale"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I live in Northern Ontario, in Canada. Due to a loss of my
>vehicle, i have had do resort to riding my bike to work.
>(or atleast part of the way to catch a bus) the distance is
>over 20 km.
>
>The temperature today was -10C with no wind. I had an
>interesting hting happen, and was wondering if its normal,
>and if not, how to make it better.
>
>Due to the distance, I started to wear cycling shorts under
>a pair of jogging pants. i have never worn cycling shorts
>before, and now know what I was missing. I was also wearing
>a sweatshirt, a hooded sweat shirt, and a nylon jacket. I
>also had a headband and a set of headphones over my ears. I
>had a pair of ski goggles over my eyes.
>
>Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around
>my mouth got cold, not realy cold, but cooler than my
>ears, top of my head, and what all was covered by my
>shorts. is this normal? what could i wear that could even
>out the temp.?
>
>any suggestions?
>
>Micheal Artindale "a true northerner"
>
>P.S. the padding on the shorts also keep my butt warm
> sitting outside waiting for the bus.

The website lets me know im not the only crazy person
out there.

Unfortunatly, it didnt answer the ones i wanted to find out.

"Charles Beristain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> everything you ever wanted to know about icebiking.
>
> http://users.rcn.com/icebike/
>

> charlie
>

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 21:06:54 -0500, "Micheal Artindale"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I live in Northern Ontario, in Canada. Due to a loss of
> >my vehicle, i
have
> >had do resort to riding my bike to work. (or atleast part
> >of the way to catch a bus) the distance is over 20 km.
> >
> >The temperature today was -10C with no wind. I had an
> >interesting hting happen, and was wondering if its
> >normal, and if not, how to make it
better.

> >Due to the distance, I started to wear cycling shorts
> >under a pair of jogging pants. i have never worn cycling
> >shorts before, and now know what
> >was missing. I was also wearing a sweatshirt, a hooded
> >sweat shirt, and a nylon jacket. I also had a headband
> >and a set of headphones over my ears.
> >had a pair of ski goggles over my eyes.
> >
> >Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around
> >my mouth got
cold,
> >not realy cold, but cooler than my ears, top of my head,
> >and what all was covered by my shorts. is this normal?
> >what could i wear that could even
out
> >the temp.?
> >
> >any suggestions?
> >
> >Micheal Artindale "a true northerner"
> >
> >P.S. the padding on the shorts also keep my butt warm
> > sitting outside waiting for the bus.

You really just need an extra layer in those areas. Try a
thin balaclava instead of the headband and ear covering to
cover all of your head and neck, and full bicycling tights
or synthetic long underwear underneath the running pants.

-Collin

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote
in message
news:[email protected]...
> I live in Northern Ontario, in Canada. Due to a loss of my
> vehicle, i have had do resort to riding my bike to work.
> (or atleast part of the way to catch a bus) the distance
> is over 20 km.
>
> The temperature today was -10C with no wind. I had an
> interesting hting happen, and was wondering if its normal,
> and if not, how to make it
better.

> Due to the distance, I started to wear cycling shorts
> under a pair of jogging pants. i have never worn cycling
> shorts before, and now know what
> was missing. I was also wearing a sweatshirt, a hooded
> sweat shirt, and a nylon jacket. I also had a headband and
> a set of headphones over my ears.
> had a pair of ski goggles over my eyes.
>
> Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around
> my mouth got
cold,
> not realy cold, but cooler than my ears, top of my head,
> and what all was covered by my shorts. is this normal?
> what could i wear that could even
out
> the temp.?
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Micheal Artindale "a true northerner"
>
> P.S. the padding on the shorts also keep my butt warm
> sitting outside waiting for the bus.

I ride to work all winter long. Snow,rain, wind,and temps
below zero. Don't forget wind chill sometimes 30 below. I
ware sweat pants under my pants. Some times 2 hooded
sweat shirts with a Buff between head and hood.
Socks,Timberline Pro boots. And last things I put on is
my ski jacket and double up on the gloves. And when I get
to cold around the mouth wrap with scarf to just below
nose. I stay snug like a bug in a rug. This is my 9th
winter riding to work. And I also ride my bike around on
my days off so I'm some what of a pro.

I MTB 2004

RE/
>Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around
>my mouth got cold, not realy cold, but cooler than my
>ears, top of my head, and what all was covered by my
>shorts. is this normal? what could i wear that could even
>out the temp.?

A PolarTec balaclava would help with the face/head. I've
got two of them - heavy/light for different temp ranges.
Wouldn't leave home without one this time of year and
around Philly our really cold days are probably like your
spring days...
--
PeteCresswell

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I live in Northern Ontario, in Canada. Due to a loss of my
> vehicle, i have had do resort to riding my bike to work.
> (or atleast part of the way to catch a bus) the distance
> is over 20 km.
>
> The temperature today was -10C with no wind. I had an
> interesting hting happen, and was wondering if its normal,
> and if not, how to make it
better.

> Due to the distance, I started to wear cycling shorts
> under a pair of jogging pants. i have never worn cycling
> shorts before, and now know what
> was missing. I was also wearing a sweatshirt, a hooded
> sweat shirt, and a nylon jacket. I also had a headband and
> a set of headphones over my ears.
> had a pair of ski goggles over my eyes.
>
> Now the problem: My lower legs, chest and my face around
> my mouth got
cold,
> not realy cold, but cooler than my ears, top of my head,
> and what all was covered by my shorts. is this normal?
> what could i wear that could even
out
> the temp.?
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Micheal Artindale "a true northerner"
>
> P.S. the padding on the shorts also keep my butt warm
> sitting outside waiting for the bus.

Even though there's no wind, you're still moving at 20km+,
and getting the wind from that. Anything windproof would
definitely help out.

Cycling tights (with or without a liner) are great for this
type of stuff. They're thin, move with you, don't catch on
bike stuff, and you can get 'em with brushed nylon or fleece
on the inside, which makes them super cozy. A lot have at
least partially windproof material too.

As for chest, a ski-type jacket will make a big difference.
Just something the wind won't go right through. Don't have
to get too fancy here, or too expensive, although obviously
nicer stuff has some really nice options like goretex (lets
moisture and is windproof and waterproof), vents (you can
really control your temp with these, they're great), better
articulation of joints, and so on and so forth.

A balaclava for the head will make a big difference in
overall temp for the whole body. One of those awful-looking
but effective neoprene ski masks will handle the nose/mouth
area, although they're a little hard to breathe through
sometimes, and you'll get the dreaded snotsickle effect.

Hope that helps!

Jon Bond