Riding from Washington to Mexico in September

CyclingForHealt

Jul 30, 2014
Hi cycling forums,

I'm preparing for a ride from Washingto to Mexico (~1500 miles) with a few friends. We'll do it in 3 weeks, at about 75 miles/day. Depending on the terrain, that could be anywhere from 4-7 hours in the saddle every day.

About 6 weeks ago I started nutritional ketosis for the first time. I didn't need to lose any weight, but I wanted to experience the improved mental clarity and other health benefits I've heard about. The first month was tough, but the last few weeks have been significantly easier.

The pace of the ride is going to be moderate (should be 120-130 bpm most of the time). In other words, I shouldn't be breaking a sweat unless I'm going up a steep hill. However, I figure I'm going to need anywhere from 5000-7000 calories/day just to break even. I'm wondering:

1) How is my stomach going to handle 5000-7000 calories (mostly from fat) every day

2) Are my leg muscles going to be okay with only 20g carbs/day for 3 weeks while riding for ~5 hours every day?

I'm 32 years old, in good shape physically (8-9% bodyfat), and have legs built for cycling.

Any thoughts?

My first thought would be, is it safe to ride on mexican roads?

Personally I think the whole low carb thing is a load of BS, if you look at what the TDF riders eat, about 75-80% of their calories come from carbs. The whole carbs are evil mindset makes absolutely no sense. If it works for you thats great, it's not something i'm going to try any time soon. The fast guys at my local races aren't chomping down chunks of lard or drinking oil during races or hard training rides, most of them eat real food and it's mostly carb based.

100km a day for two weeks should be a piece of cake if you train properly leading up to it and eat, rest and sleep properly during it.

Yesterday at work, this retard was telling me how she had quit sugar, while she was eating an orange. I told she was a stupid f_ck and to take a look at what was in her hand. I don't think it clicked.

Reactions: CycleToursGlobl
What do your meals look like, when you eat 5000-7000 calories (mostly from fat) every day?

Seal blubber is an important part of the traditional Cup'ik diet, it's worked well for them over the centuries.

Are you a big guy? Your calorie intake seems high. I am 230 lbs and I do about 2300 calories in 70 miles. Of course I am not carrying gear with me.

5000-7000 calories a day in fat? Sounds like a recipe for the squirts to me.

Hi CFH, sorry I can't be of much help to you either. I haven't heard of nutritional ketosis but my philosophy is everything in moderation, however for a big ride like that I have to agree with ambal - the TdF professionals are carb loading for a reason and years of research has gone into it. How much research is behind nutritional ketosis?

Bruce

Washington to Mexico? That's impressive, but since you will go through this with friends it is definetely gonna be easier than it normaly would. Are you planning to cross the US - Mexican borders? If so be extra careful.

Low carb can be a good thing just not for cyclists. You need to think in terms of " do I want to pass out mid ride or do I want to do the ride". Low carb just doesn't work for 10 hour days of cycling. That's my experience at least.

Also, stay out of Boise and preferably Idaho entirely. The cops think you should hug the curb no matter how dangerous.

Firstly, Best of Luck on your endeavor! I wish you successfully complete the tour. However, 20gm of carbs per day looks to be a little weird for me. 5K to 7K calories of fat too is difficult to fathom for me. Of course, I'm no nutrition expert but hope you are in constant touch with top-notch nutrition/fitness experts.