Riding glasses + perscription

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mhf, May 13, 2003.

  1. Mhf

    Mhf Guest

    Can anyone recommend a solution for some good cycling sunglasses for those of use who need
    prescription eyewear.

    I know Louis Garneau has an Rx insert for their TRi-pack and that's probably the way to go.

    Has anyone used the Louis G stuff or seen or used another system.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Lee

    Lee Guest

    MHF writes:

    > I know Louis Garneau has an Rx insert for their TRi-pack and that's
    probably
    > the way to go.
    >
    > Has anyone used the Louis G stuff or seen or used another system.

    I have a pair of Bolle wraparound glasses with prescription lenses. The optometrist ordered and
    installed the lenses. Much less cumbersome than the Rx insert.

    Lee

  3. In article <[email protected]>, MHF
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Can anyone recommend a solution for some good cycling sunglasses for those of use who need
    >prescription eyewear.
    >
    >I know Louis Garneau has an Rx insert for their TRi-pack and that's probably the way to go.
    >
    >Has anyone used the Louis G stuff or seen or used another system.

    Bolle', Smith, Rudy, and Performance all have prescription-capable eyewear. Look on the Performance
    or Colorado Cyclist (or others) web sites for more information.

    I had Bolle' Edge glasses with the prescription insert for several years, but as my eyes needed a
    stronger prescription, I got a new pair of Smith Moabs with an insert. They both work fine, although
    you may get some fogging on cold days when you have to stop.

    I had the new inserts setup with a small section at the bottom setup for my reading prescription (I
    wear progressive bifocals) so I can read route slips and computer/HR readings.

    --
    Mike Iglesias Email: [email protected] University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
    Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069

  4. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "MHF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone recommend a solution for some good cycling sunglasses for those of use who need
    > prescription eyewear.
    >
    > I know Louis Garneau has an Rx insert for their TRi-pack and that's
    probably
    > the way to go.
    >
    > Has anyone used the Louis G stuff or seen or used another system.
    >
    > Thanks

    LASIK worked for me!

    Hawke

  5. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

  6. Suz

    Suz Guest

  7. Rkoreis

    Rkoreis Guest

    Check out www.svedoptics.com.

    I had them add prescription lenses to a pair of Bolles. They work great. The lenses are attached to
    the nose piece, so you don't have the big space between lenses like with the prescription inserts.
    I've had mine for several years and have no complaints.

    Bob Koreis Tacoma WA

    "MHF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone recommend a solution for some good cycling sunglasses for those of use who need
    > prescription eyewear.
    >
    > I know Louis Garneau has an Rx insert for their TRi-pack and that's
    probably
    > the way to go.
    >
    > Has anyone used the Louis G stuff or seen or used another system.
    >
    > Thanks

  8. Realdean

    Realdean Guest

    I just spent several months searching for the right riding glass set-up since my regular glasses
    have a transition lense and my vision is moderately poor.I all but gave up on the Smith Moabs and
    other type glasses that employ a lense insert behind the sunglass. They look goofy, fog, and often
    time it is reported the rx insert touches the eyelash which is annoying. Most wrap glasses prevented
    me (and probably you) from having my particular prescription inserted into them especially if the
    lense was on the smaller side. So here was the final solution: Lense Frame: Bolle
    Boomslang.....despite the French boycott, I had to do what I had to
    do. These frames give a good wrap with a large diameter lense. The frame material is light and
    durable. The frame has side vents to let the air pass through with no fogging. Important was the
    fact that the gap for the nose is wider and there are ruuber pads the prevent slippage, infact
    slippage is non existent with these frames. Material of lense: Polycarbonate . Tint: Brown with
    polarization and a mirrored coating. EVERYTHING LOOKS CRISP and the color works for both high
    and low light conditions Final cost: $380 but thats mostly because of the transition lense.

  9. > Actually, for prescription it's http://www.rudyrx.com

    Yeah, I bought a pair of Rudy Project wraparound glasses with prescription lenses and just love
    them. I had to get the optometrist to update my prescription, fax it to rudyrx.com and I got them in
    a couple days. You just have to be sure that prescription is tuned in exactly and, it seems to me,
    you're set. The whole deal set me back just at $200.

    Hope that helps!

    -Kristin

  10. Time Cop

    Time Cop New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    I have been wearing prescription Oakleys (M-Frames) since last year and they are by far the best prescription sunglasses I've worn in 23 years of cycling.

    You know the old adage... you pay for what you get? That's certainly the case. Mine set me back $400.

  11. [email protected] (Dr. Steven Walker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > You're not very bright. You mispelled "prescription" in the subject line.

    Jackass.

    He obviously spelled it correctly in the body of his posting. Lay off.

    -a

  12. [email protected] (Dave Carr) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I work in the industry and I would recommend the following.
    >
    > - Rudy Project (www.rudyrx.com)
    > - Bolle (http://www.bolle.com/services/rx_services.shtml)
    > - Nike (distributed through opticians only. For info see
    > http://www.marchon.com/MarchonWeb2002/2002HTML%27s/nike2002.html)
    > - Spy Optics (also thru your local retailer, www.spyeyes.com)
    >
    > All of the above offer lens-in-frame which is a better choice than clip-ons for optics and vision.
    > A clip-on has surface reflections which reduce contrast, and it's harder to get your Rx correct.
    >
    > Also with lens-in-frame Rx with the above suppliers your optics will be optimized for the geomtery
    > of the frame. With most competing Rx products, they don't take into account the way the frame
    > wraps around your head, and the result is poorer vision correction. It's better to use for the
    > "factory direct" programs from the above suppliers as opposed to buying a frame and taking it to
    > your local optician for Rx'ing.
    >
    > Choose a clip only if you absolutely require interchangeable lenses (for different lens colors, or
    > to remove the Rx if you wear contacts sometimes).
    >
    > Cheers Dave

    http://www.sportsvisionbend.com/

    I went through these guys to get Oakleys for my wife. They were able to put her heavy scrip in a
    nice set of Fate glasses. Her correction was too much for the wrap style glasses, so they were able
    to make it work in the flat lense frames.

    -a