Riding In A Skirt

srock

Jul 14, 2015
I love wearing skirts in the summertime, even when I'm biking. I also find them more cool, comfortable and modest than bike shorts. If the skirt is long, I usually tuck some of it into the waistband so it doesn't get caught in the chain. I haven't had any garment malfunctions yet lol! Who else enjoys riding in a skirt?

Over here, the weather is the first consideration so casual wear is preferred. I sometimes see lady bikers in skirts but admittedly that's a rarity. The most common attire here is the biking shorts - that stretchable shorts that is shiny and with a length that reaches up to the knee. And if you have nice shoes and matching socks, I guess that would do you good in your biking. And for the skirt? I still haven't tried biking in a skirt because I really think that it is not an appropriate attire for biking. No offense.

I agree with Corzhens. It looks a bit unusual seeing a female biker in shorts. I mean what happens if there was an accident and... yea...

I don't know about women, but men definitely enjoy looking at them psst.. ;) Well, loose fitting clothes are always good while exercising. That's all I know. I would like to read more opinions though.

I am confused as to what terrible thing would happen if a female biker had an accident (?) in shorts.

Skirts can get caught and unlike shorts can cause exposure underwear. I am a commuter to I am normally wearing, well, what I normally wear, which is a business pant suit during the week and jeans on the weekend. If I was going a log way I would probably wear leggings and a long T-shirt.

Basically the same as the guys in this part of the world.

The more I read this sub-forum the more grateful I am to live in a lawful, respectful and gender equal community where dressing practically is considered normal and unremarkable. I could dress girly if I wanted but there is no an once of pressure to do so and not judgy attitudes.

Reactions: niightwind
I do it all the time. I have figured out which styles work and which get filthy from flapping around and such. the only problem I have hatd is a few longer skirts that are too full can get the hem stuck in the break. It's pretty easy to pull it out without damaging anything, but it leaves a black mark that requires oxyclean to get out of the fabric, which is really annoying.

I can easily see how a woman could ride in a skirt with ease and without suffering from any real issues. Anyone that alludes to some unfortunate accident happening to women specifically while riding in a skirt is just being stupid. Skirts might be a little less safe than riding shorts or something made from thicker and more closed off material, but the tradeoff is that you're more comfortable and probably a little cooler, too!

I don't really wear a skirt when I ride my bike for recreational purposes. But I have often ridden my bike to work in a skirt, and even in a dress. It's not unusual here. When I go on long trips I like to wear loose fitting trousers that I usually tighten up above my knees, as obviously I don't like them getting caught in the chain. I can't stand tight fitting lycra pants. They make me sweat and uncomfortable. But then, I am not a professional rider who needs to wear them for athletic endeavors.

I prefer riding my bike in shorts, riding in a skirt or dress annoys me because my moves are limited.
Also it's not comfortable in my opinion because the wind can blow you're skirt/dress up and people will be able to see you're pants, lol.

I think a skirt is fine just as long as you choose the one with the right hem length for safety, also something that is decent enough not to attract unwanted attention you see. Why not wear a peplum instead those skirts with shorts beneath them ?

I don't know if I would feel comfortable in a skirt while riding. I am glad to hear you did not have any skirts yet caught in the chain. I can only imagine this would give you a wardrobe malfunction. I would think they would be comfortable and free flowing allowing more coolness than shorts.

I hate wearing skirts in the first place because I have pudgy, gross looking legs, so nah - I never ride my bike in a skirt. I can't imagine it being that comfortable... and even if it was, I'd be too worried about the breeze flipping it up while I'm riding and giving everyone a show, lol. No thank you! A skort might be better, because then there's no worries of it swooshing into the air and showing everything off, but even then it just seems like extra fabric material to potentially get in the way of riding and maybe even restrict movement, so I don't see the point. If I was gonna go with a shorter option than pants I'd go with either capris or just regular old shorts. :)

I have never ridden in a skirt, and I can honestly say that I don't think I ever will for two reasons. Firstly, no matter how much you tuck it in, there is always the risk that it will escape and get stuck in your chain, which is something that could be incredibly dangerous for you. Secondly, unless you're wearing shorts understand, you risk showing your underwear - which is something that I would really rather avoid whenever possible! And if you are wearing another layer underneath, then you might as well just wear that one and then not bother with the skirt at all. So no, I wouldn't wear skirts when riding a bike, as it doesn't feel like appropriate sportswear as far as I'm concerned.

I've done it before, but I don't do it frequently. I work at a church, so I'll sometimes ride with liner shorts under a skirt on the short two miles to church. If it were any longer of a ride, I think I'd just use a pannier and carry my work clothes with me. I think it looks a little silly to ride in a skirt on my road bike, but I don't care! I like to think I'm making a statement-"You don't have to wear lycra to ride a road bike!" I don't wear skirts very often, but I'm not opposed to it when the circumstances are right.

I haven't done this as I'm not really a skirt person. I prefer shorts, pants or leggings. But I think there's nothing wrong with wearing skirts as long as you wear the proper length or use a cycling shorts underneath. And well, I've seen a lot of Korean movies where the girl was wearing her school skirt and she rides a bike. So I think it is not that uncommon to wear skirts while biking.

I really like biking in a skirt, even in a smaller one, if its a short skirt I usually wear biking shorts or cut off leggings under it. But if it's a longer one I simply put a knot on the fabric or use a hair clip to get the two layers together.

Like this (penny in your pants :))

https://vimeo.com/98808131

I never cycle in a skirt, for several reasons it just doesn't work for me. It all depends what you're comfortable in of course, and it's not unusual to see girls riding around downtown in cute little skirts or dresses. I'm going to ignore mountain biking because I just can't see that working.

Maybe I've never attempted to cycle with the right length of skirt, or I'm just not quite coordinated enough, but I always end up either feeling like I'm flashing my underwear constantly or it's too long and the hem gets tangled in the chain, which has the lovely side effect of yanking the skirt halfway down my butt :(

If I were to attempt to wear one now I would probably go for a mid-length skirt with bike shorts underneath, but to be honest when I'm commuting I'm already trying to be aware of enough stuff without having to worry about showing off my underwear to anyone.

I remember once my boyfriend and I were driving downtown to see a concert and traffic was slowed to a crawl. There was a young woman in a short skirt on a bike who kept catching up to us and every time she pedaled she gave the world a very, very noticeable crotch shot. I'm already awkward when riding in traffic, I don't need to be accidentally showing the world my business on top of that haha.

Would not do it. I live in shorts and tank tops during the summer and jeans in the winter. Wearing a skirt to ride would feel foreign to me. I had a job where I had to wear a skirt or dress and I commuted to work. When I arrived, I changed out of my shorts or jeans and put on the skirt or dress. And vice versa for the ride home after work.

OK, I also sometimes ride in a skirt. I simply have my shorts on underneath. As for the skirt interfering with bike gear, if you stick to about knee length, you should be mostly OK. Biggest problem I have found is that it can change the seat height needed.