Riding in and around Chicago?

Matthew Reed

Guest
I recently moved to Chicago from the Mountain West and I am severely depressed about my outdoor
options. I am trying to stay positive, but I need help. Anyone who can tell me where I can ride up a
hill or down a twisty road will get a lot of appreciation from me. Also, is there better single
track than the horse paths west of town? While I am at it, is there anywhere near here to backpack?
Any wilderness areas etc? How far do I have to go to get some quality outdoor time?

"Matthew Reed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<eBfsa.6222$%[email protected]>...
> I recently moved to Chicago from the Mountain West and I am severely depressed about my outdoor
> options. I am trying to stay positive, but I need help. Anyone who can tell me where I can ride up
> a hill or down a twisty road will get a lot of appreciation from me. Also, is there better single
> track than the horse paths west of town? While I am at it, is there anywhere near here to
> backpack? Any wilderness areas etc? How far do I have to go to get some quality outdoor time?

Heh.. Nothing like out where you're from. I'm in a northern suburb, and the steepest (paved) hill
I've encountered is at Sheridan and Tower roads in Winnetka. (Maybe 20 miles north of downtown? Not
sure.) There are often a lot of riders along that stretch of Sheridan (from Evanston up through
Highland Park). The best mountain biking is in Kettle Moraine (in Wisconsin) or Palos Hills (SW of
the city, IIRC). If you go north into northern Illinois/Wisconsin, you can go to Devil's lake state
park for MTBing and climbing, backpacking too I suppose though it'll seem dull. Look around for a
state park map, I'll bet you could find one on the internet somewhere. Quality outdoor time,
however, is right out the door; different, perhaps, but outdoors nonetheless. Matt

The Chicago Bicycle Federation (CBF) publishes a great map of the area. Several counties are
highlighted with color-coded routes and streets that are geared (pun) especially for the cyclist.

It was assembled with the input from many area cycling clubs which adopted their local area (of the
map) and suggested relatively safe roads. In addition, paved and crushed limestone trails are also
included. This map is about $7 and should be found at most area bicycle stores, or
http://www.chibikefed.org

If you get out to the 'burbs, check out the Illinois Prairie Path, which is a 61-mile crushed
limestone system. It connects to other DuPage and Kane County trails, including the excellent Fox
River Trail. http://www.ipp.org These are not "horse trails" as you suggest. We get over a thousand
users per day on the IPP.

Hills. Hmmmmmmm. Not much of them around Illinois. Perhaps Palos Hills area. Some there. A series of
rollers in Kane County west of St. Charles. Check out the vicinity of Campton Hills Road and Town
Hall Road. That's where we go. Nothing mountainous, but will get the red blood cells flowing if you
route properly.

Can't help you much with the backpacking. Perhaps the state park around Starved Rock? Not difficult,
but pretty area (forest, river, waterfalls).

Single track you say? Just north in lower central Wisconsin, is a place called Kettle-Morraine.
Better stores will have maps of that. There is a parking fee (about $7 last time I was there), but
well worth the 50-75 minute drive. Bring friends to share the fee. There's a north and a south
section, with different difficulty levels found on a proper color-coded map. Search in Google, and
you'll find the official site for that. Really neat country bike/general/soda store there just
outside the park (I hope its still there!).

- Dave W.

>"Matthew Reed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<eBfsa.6222$%[email protected]>... I recently moved to Chicago from the
>Mountain West and I am severely depressed about my outdoor options. I am trying to stay positive,
>but I need help. Anyone who can tell me where I can ride up a hill or down a twisty road will get a
>lot of appreciation from me. Also, is there better single track than the horse paths west of town?
>While I am at it, is there anywhere near here to backpack? Any wilderness areas etc? How far do I
>have to go to get some quality outdoor time?

I've ridden around a lot of parts of Chicago. The steepest long climb I've come across is Finley
Rd. in Downers Grove, IL near the I-88 tollway. I think that was the only time I've actually
needed a granny.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=&city=downers+grove&state=IL&-
zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map

There is also a paved bike path that goes north of Crystal Lake which features some very steep short
climbs. When I moved from Maryland in 1989, I also noticed that people seemed to less inclined to
fitness. For example, the outdoor swimming season was much shorter. The lakefront bike path is real
good and you can race people regularly and since its on the lake there are few stops especially on
the south side. Winter icebiking has no ice problems (only salt), so its no problem to ride through
the whole winter if you're so inclined. Twisty road? Ha Ha. You'll have to get out of the city. The
Fox River Trail is pretty good. I am a road cyclist. The off-road options are obviously limited if
you're actually in the city. You could ask people on the email list...

Bike-Chicago Email List: http://home.mindspring.com/~bvonmoss/bikechicago.html

On 1 May 2003 20:33:28 -0700, [email protected] (Matt J) wrote:

>"Matthew Reed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<eBfsa.6222$%[email protected]>...
>> I recently moved to Chicago from the Mountain West and I am severely depressed about my outdoor
>> options. I am trying to stay positive, but I need help. Anyone who can tell me where I can ride
>> up a hill or down a twisty road will get a lot of appreciation from me. Also, is there better
>> single track than the horse paths west of town? While I am at it, is there anywhere near here to
>> backpack? Any wilderness areas etc? How far do I have to go to get some quality outdoor time?
>
>Heh.. Nothing like out where you're from. I'm in a northern suburb, and the steepest (paved) hill
>I've encountered is at Sheridan and Tower roads in Winnetka. (Maybe 20 miles north of downtown? Not
>sure.) There are often a lot of riders along that stretch of Sheridan (from Evanston up through
>Highland Park). The best mountain biking is in Kettle Moraine (in Wisconsin) or Palos Hills (SW of
>the city, IIRC). If you go north into northern Illinois/Wisconsin, you can go to Devil's lake state
>park for MTBing and climbing, backpacking too I suppose though it'll seem dull. Look around for a
>state park map, I'll bet you could find one on the internet somewhere. Quality outdoor time,
>however, is right out the door; different, perhaps, but outdoors nonetheless. Matt

The answers to those questions are generally either no or too far. You should have asked yourself
these things before you agreed to give up so much for a higher-paying job. You could get a Sea Kayak
and have plenty of space to paddle on the lake. Or how about an Aqua-Cycle? Spend some time at the
Museum of Science and Industry and take your mind off the mountains.

Steve McDonald

On Thu, 01 May 2003 20:38:34 GMT, "Matthew Reed" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I recently moved to Chicago from the Mountain West and I am severely depressed about my outdoor
>options. I am trying to stay positive, but I need help. Anyone who can tell me where I can ride up
>a hill or down a twisty road will get a lot of appreciation from me. Also, is there better single
>track than the horse paths west of town? While I am at it, is there anywhere near here to backpack?
>Any wilderness areas etc? How far do I have to go to get some quality outdoor time?

We go to Colorado. Already have our reservations in Frisco for this summer.

As another poster in this thread mentioned, Campton Hills Road and Town Hall Road west of St.
Charles, and Johnson's Mound (a couple of miles south of there) provide poor substitutes; but that's
where we train for our Rocky Mountain trips. There's also the Kankakee Bluffs, south of Minooka.

The closest you'll find real hills is in Wisconsin, but don't expect anything to rival the Mountain
West. If you want to work hard head out today in a generally northerly direction. The wind is the
midwest's equivalent of hills. :-(

John Everett - Aurora, Illinois

Steve, I would have never left the West for money, the US treasury has yet to print enough. I did it
for a woman. It is temporary, I have to be here for two more years, then I am making a vapor trail
back to Colorado. The sea Kayak thing sounds interesting, any advice on how to get started? I tried
the museums out and found the Art Institute to be pretty amazing.

Matt [email protected] "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The answers to those questions are generally either no or too far. You should have asked
> yourself these things before you agreed to give up so much for a higher-paying job. You could
> get a Sea Kayak and have plenty of space to paddle on the lake. Or how about an Aqua-Cycle?
> Spend some time at the Museum of Science and Industry and take your mind off the mountains.
>
> Steve McDonald

John, If you have the chance while you are in Frisco, go for Monarch Crest trail. It is freakin
great. You get to ride hard packed fast single track, rock technical stuff, scree runs, water
crossings, grassy meadows and thick forrest all in one day. A lot of the ride is over 13,000 feet so
the views are unbelievable. I am heading back to ride it in August, and can not wait.

I have noticed that wind here does do a nice job of hill simulation.

Matt "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 01 May 2003 20:38:34 GMT, "Matthew Reed" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I recently moved to Chicago from the Mountain West and I am severely depressed about my outdoor
> >options. I am trying to stay positive, but I need help. Anyone who can tell me where I can ride
> >up a hill or down a twisty road will get a lot of appreciation from me. Also, is there
better
> >single track than the horse paths west of town? While I am at it, is
there
> >anywhere near here to backpack? Any wilderness areas etc? How far do I
have
> >to go to get some quality outdoor time?
>
> We go to Colorado. Already have our reservations in Frisco for this summer.
>
> As another poster in this thread mentioned, Campton Hills Road and Town Hall Road west of St.
> Charles, and Johnson's Mound (a couple of miles south of there) provide poor substitutes; but
> that's where we train for our Rocky Mountain trips. There's also the Kankakee Bluffs, south of
> Minooka.
>
> The closest you'll find real hills is in Wisconsin, but don't expect anything to rival the
> Mountain West. If you want to work hard head out today in a generally northerly direction. The
> wind is the midwest's equivalent of hills. :-(
>
> John Everett - Aurora, Illinois
>

> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Dave, How smooth are the limestone paths? Would a road bike work, or maybe a road bike with a little
larger tires? Thanks for the tips. Matt. "Dave W." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
better
> > single track than the horse paths west of town? While I am at it, is
there
> > anywhere near here to backpack? Any wilderness areas etc? How far do I
have
> > to go to get some quality outdoor time?

"Dave W." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Chicago Bicycle Federation (CBF) publishes a great map of the area. Several counties are
> highlighted with color-coded routes and streets that are geared (pun) especially for the cyclist.
>
> It was assembled with the input from many area cycling clubs which adopted their local area (of
> the map) and suggested relatively safe roads. In addition, paved and crushed limestone trails are
> also included. This map is about $7 and should be found at most area bicycle stores, or

Good suggestion.

> If you get out to the 'burbs, check out the Illinois Prairie Path, which is a 61-mile crushed
> limestone system. It connects to other DuPage and Kane County trails, including the excellent Fox
> River Trail. http://www.ipp.org These are not "horse trails" as you suggest. We get over a
> thousand users per day on the IPP.

Not at all what the OP wants (as in the OP) and, yes, they are horse trails in a sense, and that's
just what he meant. The last time I rode the NW section from Wheaton it was as bad as riding
continuous rumble strips from all the pocks that horses left in the soft limestone surface.

> Hills. Hmmmmmmm. Not much of them around Illinois. Perhaps Palos Hills area. Some there. A series
> of rollers in Kane County west of St. Charles. Check out the vicinity of Campton Hills Road and
> Town Hall Road. That's where we go. Nothing mountainous, but will get the red blood cells flowing
> if you route properly.

For hills, it's NW Illinois/SW Wisconsin or bust.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

"UrbanCyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've ridden around a lot of parts of Chicago. The steepest long climb I've come across is Finley
> Rd. in Downers Grove, IL near the I-88 tollway. I think that was the only time I've actually
> needed a granny.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=&city=
downers+grove&state=IL&zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map

You need a granny for that climb? I do it in the big ring on a good day.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

"Matt J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Matthew Reed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<eBfsa.6222$%[email protected]>...
> > I recently moved to Chicago from the Mountain West and I am severely depressed about my outdoor
> > options. I am trying to stay positive, but I need help. Anyone who can tell me where I can ride
> > up a hill or down a twisty road will get a lot of appreciation from me. Also, is there
better
> > single track than the horse paths west of town? While I am at it, is
there
> > anywhere near here to backpack? Any wilderness areas etc? How far do I
have
> > to go to get some quality outdoor time?
>
> Heh.. Nothing like out where you're from. I'm in a northern suburb, and the steepest (paved) hill
> I've encountered is at Sheridan and Tower roads in Winnetka. (Maybe 20 miles north of downtown?
> Not sure.)

Ah, but there's a trick to this route. Every time you pass a park, you go down the hill/ravine to
the lake, then climb back up. Short, but steep.

There's a group of riders, mostly from the Evanston Bicycle Club, who do a
"show and go" on Saturdays at 7am usually on this route, if anyone would
like some company. It leaves from Starbucks at Plaza del Lago (Sheridan Rd
and 10th, Wilmette). More information at http://www.evanstonbikeclub.org/

Matthew Reed <[email protected]> wrote:
> I recently moved to Chicago from the Mountain West and I am severely depressed about my outdoor
> options. I am trying to stay positive, but I need help. Anyone who can tell me where I can ride up
> a hill or down a twisty road will get a lot of appreciation from me. Also, is there better single
> track than the horse paths west of town? While I am at it, is there anywhere near here to
> backpack? Any wilderness areas etc? How far do I have to go to get some quality outdoor time?

Hills? What are those? :eek:)

Seriously, though, there are some hilly areas in the Frankfort/Mokena/New Lenox area, in the Hickory
Creek forest preserves. There are paved paths that have some (for the area) good hilly sections;
these connect to the Old Plank Road Trail, plus a trail along US 30 in Frankfort, and a trail along
LaPorte Road in Mokena.

Also, there are bluffs along the Des Plaines River valley, especially from the Palos area down
to Joliet.

The Fox River valley has some nice bike paths, with a few hilly sections. It's possible to ride from
Oswego to the Wisconsin border using this trail system.

Along the Illinois River, the bluffs continue, and there are nice hiking areas at Starved Rock State
Park near Utica, and also at Mathiessen State Park nearby. More hiking areas are available at
Kankakee River State Park, along with a nice bike path, mostly paved.

East of Ottawa, south of the river, there's a road biker's dream descent, on Gentleman-Trumbo Road,
heading east. This is part of the route used on the Bike Psychos Century, and it's also where I've
reached my personal speed record (44 MPH).

Other options are to head over to the dunelands of southwest Michigan/northern Indiana, or to go to
northwest Illinois/southwest Wisconsin.

Western Illinois, between the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers, has a lot of nice rolling hills.

Still, compared to real mountains, there's nothing more than a pimple around here. :eek:)
--
Russ Price * [email protected] * kill the wabbit to email

"Rock journalism is people who can't write, writing for people who can't read about people who can't
play." - Frank Zappa