riding in baghdad

armoredheart

Aug 29, 2005
Hi..new guy...mike is my name. but im deployed in iraq and i have my shitty fuji out here with me a cycle ops trainer..anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to improve my training out here..i cant ride around baghdad either..im stuck to my room. i ride 25-45 miles a day..depending on missions and time

Get someone to send you a stationary trainer ... and get a Bradley!!

A TAM would be nice ...

he didnt say what side he was fighting on..
he might be one of them terrorists.

eitherway i think hes a ***** not cycling around baghdad, any excuse to get out of doing those training rides.

complience said:

eitherway i think hes a ***** not cycling around baghdad, any excuse to get out of doing those training rides.
:D

I fixed it for ya!

complience said:

combat medic in the us army.
and thats funny about riding around in baghdad. you really have no idea what its like here..

armoredheart said:
combat medic in the us army.
and thats funny about riding around in baghdad. you really have no idea what its like here..
I think it was meant as a joke. :)

Stay safe.

-Matt

dude, your my hero. Seriously.

Here's a tip. Put the rollers on some plywood and raise the platform with a few cinder blocks. Simulate a steep climbing position. Then add a little resistance and do intervals at a simulated 15 degrees.

Oh, and then do all of that in a sweaty Bhagdad apartment in 120 degree heat in hostile territory and you have a workout!!!

Better yet, rig the rollers to an old alternator and power the block.

Either way, just come home in one piece hua?

How about creating a spinning class. Ask your unit to issue several spinning bikes and you become the spinning instructor . Gather some of your buddies and ride to music. You can create intervals , climbs , you name it! Even do endurance rides for over an hour. this will keep you motivated!

I took an old training bike with me when I was over. I did have an airfield I could ride around, although the same flat five mile stretch did get old after awhile. As boring as it can be, just keep plugging away. After all, there isn't much else to do in your off time. At least you will maintain most of your fitness. Stay safe!

biodiesel said:
dude, your my hero. Seriously.

Better yet, rig the rollers to an old alternator and power the block.
BRILLIANT!
Get some Iraqis in on this and they could start their own power company!

complience said:

No way is he a ***** - suppose on of them insurgents kidnaps him while biking and beheads him? Yay, that's what they've been doing. They do anything to a single American caught alone.

He's already a hero for serving in Iraq. I even quit thinking joining the Air Force because of the thought of being stationed in Iraq.

Aren't you supposed to be out there killing people instead of riding your bike on your indoor trainer?

Sheesh, war just ain't what it used to be.

velofan said:
Aren't you supposed to be out there killing people instead of riding your bike on your indoor trainer?

Sheesh, war just ain't what it used to be.
ok. you gave me a sarcastic response..so you are getting one back.
but very dry.
first off..im a combat medic you ****. it isnt my job to kill people. you have seen way to many movies. war is just walking around the whole entire time killing people..there is ALOT of downtime in war.
i go out every day. every day. and drive around with my squad in baghdad.

dic
JTE83 said:
No way is he a ***** - suppose on of them insurgents kidnaps him while biking and beheads him? Yay, that's what they've been doing. They do anything to a single American caught alone.

He's already a hero for serving in Iraq. I even quit thinking joining the Air Force because of the thought of being stationed in Iraq.
im 23..im not a hero..i cant imagine being a hero..so im not. im just doing my job. and i do it in a different country

armoredheart said:
ok. you gave me a sarcastic response..so you are getting one back.
but very dry.
first off..im a combat medic you ****. it isnt my job to kill people. you have seen way to many movies. war is just walking around the whole entire time killing people..there is ALOT of downtime in war.
i go out every day. every day. and drive around with my squad in baghdad.
He forgot the j/k (joke) remark

"im not a hero..i cant imagine being a hero..so im not. im just doing my job.."

B.H., I'm a Parachute Rigger, Navy type. Nobody who is a true hero thinks of themselves as a hero, even when the time comes to be one. All of you in-country are our hero's...doing a job nobody else can or wants to do Lots of folks stateside praying for you guys. Thanks for your service and hope all of you come home soon and in one piece.

US Navy Parachute Riggers...the LAST to let you down!

Best of luck to you man. I did my time in Nam. I think you'll just have to wait till you get home to enjoy your pursuits.