riding in Catalunya area of Spain

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chuck Waterfiel, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got a week in April where I can get off to Barcelona with my bike. I'd like to stay at a hotel
    somewhere where I can do nice day trip rides, averaging 150km per day. Does anyone have any
    suggestions? Mountain riding would be great.

Chuck Waterfield

Tags:

2. Steve

Steve Guest

"Chuck Waterfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a week in April where I can get off to Barcelona with my bike.
    I'd
    > like to stay at a hotel somewhere where I can do nice day trip rides, averaging 150km per day.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions? Mountain
    riding
    > would be great.

Girona is where Lance and family make their summer home (well....maybe not the family this year) and
    where the Posties do a good bit of training. It's as good a choice as any - 1hr. north/east of
    Barcelona, 25km from the coast, a bit more to the Pyrenees. It's a biggish sort of town, lots of
    roads in and out, easy to find loops. The routes over to the Costa Brava are fairly hilly, as is the
    coastal route. It's a bit further to get up into the real mountains, but just about everywhere is
    good riding.

Figueres is further up towards France, nicer/smaller, it's got the Salvador Dali museum and a ton of
    restaraunts. Also between the coast and the big hills.

Most of the really big climbs are more NW towards Andorra, with a good many little resort hotels
    en-route on Hwy. N260 and N162, so it depends on what you want most.

Note that there are a lot of small little villages to stay in - La Molina, Seo, Sort, all closer to
    the bigger passes, but eating choices gets more limiting.

It's also a good bit warmer on the coast and I cannot say what the snow situation would be on the
    higher passes - something to consider in April

Steve B.

3. On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:41:04 -0500, Steve wrote:

> Girona

Good suggestion. I think the cycling around Tarragona might be interesting as well (down the coast
    some, towards Valencia).

> Most of the really big climbs are more NW towards Andorra, with a good many little resort hotels
    > en-route on Hwy. N260 and N162, so it depends on what you want most.
    >
    > Note that there are a lot of small little villages to stay in - La Molina, Seo, Sort, all closer
    > to the bigger passes, but eating choices gets more limiting.

And the climbs there seemed to me to be relentless. I climbed for hours -- in a car -- at about 6-8%
    continuously.
    >
    > It's also a good bit warmer on the coast and I cannot say what the snow situation would be on the
    > higher passes - something to consider in
    April

I would worry. In driving over to France to see the Tour in July, 2001, from Andorra, where we were
    staying, we encountered snow.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

4. Thanks to both of you. This gives me a great headstart on planning things!

Chuck Waterfield

"David L. Johnson >" <David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:41:04 -0500, Steve wrote:
    >
    >
    > > Girona
    >
    >
    > Good suggestion. I think the cycling around Tarragona might be interesting as well (down the coast
    > some, towards Valencia).
    >
    >
    > > Most of the really big climbs are more NW towards Andorra, with a good many little resort hotels
    > > en-route on Hwy. N260 and N162, so it depends on what you want most.
    > >
    > > Note that there are a lot of small little villages to stay in - La Molina, Seo, Sort, all closer
    > > to the bigger passes, but eating choices gets more limiting.
    >
    > And the climbs there seemed to me to be relentless. I climbed for hours -- in a car -- at about
    > 6-8% continuously.
    > >
    > > It's also a good bit warmer on the coast and I cannot say what the snow situation would be on
    > > the higher passes - something to consider in
    > April
    >
    > I would worry. In driving over to France to see the Tour in July, 2001, from Andorra, where we
    > were staying, we encountered snow.
    >
    > --
    >
    > David L. Johnson
    >
    > __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    > George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.