riding in Catalunya area of Spain

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chuck Waterfiel, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. I've got a week in April where I can get off to Barcelona with my bike. I'd like to stay at a hotel
    somewhere where I can do nice day trip rides, averaging 150km per day. Does anyone have any
    suggestions? Mountain riding would be great.

    Chuck Waterfield

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "Chuck Waterfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a week in April where I can get off to Barcelona with my bike.
    I'd
    > like to stay at a hotel somewhere where I can do nice day trip rides, averaging 150km per day.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions? Mountain
    riding
    > would be great.

    Girona is where Lance and family make their summer home (well....maybe not the family this year) and
    where the Posties do a good bit of training. It's as good a choice as any - 1hr. north/east of
    Barcelona, 25km from the coast, a bit more to the Pyrenees. It's a biggish sort of town, lots of
    roads in and out, easy to find loops. The routes over to the Costa Brava are fairly hilly, as is the
    coastal route. It's a bit further to get up into the real mountains, but just about everywhere is
    good riding.

    Figueres is further up towards France, nicer/smaller, it's got the Salvador Dali museum and a ton of
    restaraunts. Also between the coast and the big hills.

    Most of the really big climbs are more NW towards Andorra, with a good many little resort hotels
    en-route on Hwy. N260 and N162, so it depends on what you want most.

    Note that there are a lot of small little villages to stay in - La Molina, Seo, Sort, all closer to
    the bigger passes, but eating choices gets more limiting.

    It's also a good bit warmer on the coast and I cannot say what the snow situation would be on the
    higher passes - something to consider in April

    Steve B.

  3. On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:41:04 -0500, Steve wrote:

    > Girona

    Good suggestion. I think the cycling around Tarragona might be interesting as well (down the coast
    some, towards Valencia).

    > Most of the really big climbs are more NW towards Andorra, with a good many little resort hotels
    > en-route on Hwy. N260 and N162, so it depends on what you want most.
    >
    > Note that there are a lot of small little villages to stay in - La Molina, Seo, Sort, all closer
    > to the bigger passes, but eating choices gets more limiting.

    And the climbs there seemed to me to be relentless. I climbed for hours -- in a car -- at about 6-8%
    continuously.

    > It's also a good bit warmer on the coast and I cannot say what the snow situation would be on the
    > higher passes - something to consider in
    April

    I would worry. In driving over to France to see the Tour in July, 2001, from Andorra, where we were
    staying, we encountered snow.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

  4. Thanks to both of you. This gives me a great headstart on planning things!

    Chuck Waterfield

    news:[email protected]...