Riding In Eastern Canada/New Foundland?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by NY Rides, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. NY Rides

    NY Rides Guest

    My wife and I are still searching for our next bike-friendly vacation
    destination. Last year, we spent some time in Toronto and Ottawa, bit great
    biking cities, in my opinion.

    This year, we've got a free timeshare to use and we don't know what to do
    with it. We're from New York and have billions of air miles to burn.
    However, we don't really want to travel overseas given the current world
    situation.

    I've heard a bit about New Foundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, etc, and
    there are definitely some timeshare options up there. What we'd like is a
    place that's fairly flat (my wife is not a serious bicyclist, but still
    likes to ride), a place with safe bikeways/bikelanes, and a place with lots
    of outdoors cafes (that have bicycle parking, of course.) Like most people,
    we like riding along the water, whether it's an ocean or a large duck pond.
    We also like to be among "regular people," that is people who don't mind
    tourists and people who aren't visiting a certain place to show that they
    can afford to. Get my drift?

    So is this region worth considering? Our other thoughts are Alaska, or
    perhaps somewhere in California. Thanks for your input.

    Tom M (New York)

    Tags:

  2. Roy Zipris

    Roy Zipris Guest

    Prince Edward Island? Too rural for sidewalk cafes, though, but
    otherwise a wonderful place to ride. I did a week-long bike tour with
    my grandson ~4 years ago. Beautiful rolling countryside, with a bike
    path, the Confederation Trail, that traverses the island. The terrain
    is not too difficult for a non-serious cyclist. Regards, Roy Zipris

  3. Over the years I have ridden most of Atlantic Canada and New England
    plus the usual France and Italy. I've done a few exotics, Corsica,
    Sardinia, and Croatia.

    If your wife is not a Strong rider I would forget Newfoundlander and
    Labrador. They are beautiful but not flat. Nova Scotia is flat but in
    my opinion not very interesting.

    If your wife like bike paths and nice cafes, I would suggest Montreal.
    Both in the city and around Chambly. If you stay on the Longeiul side
    you can take you bike on the ferry into Montreal and ride those paths.
    They are very nice or you can ride out to Chambly on the paths.

    A few things about Montreal:

    1. They have the biggest bicycle events in the world, people love to
    cycle

    2. The best been in North America, Unibrue

    3. Lots of outdoor cafes and excellent food

    4. Montreal my be the only international city in North America, it is a
    close as you can get to Europe in North America

    5. If you make any attempt to speak French people are friendly.
    Remember, it is a big city and don't expect the folks in the subway to
    be friendlier than they are in NYC.

    6. They have a great set of bike paths that run from Lake Champlain to
    Gaspe with lots of paths in and around Montreal

    Enjoy the ride ... Roland

    Dover, NH

  4. Steve B.

    Steve B. Guest

    Echoing some of Rolands comments:

    <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > If your wife is not a Strong rider I would forget Newfoundlander and
    > Labrador. They are beautiful but not flat. Nova Scotia is flat but in
    > my opinion not very interesting.

    Newfoundland is also a long trip to get to. From LI, a full day to the
    ferry in Bar Harbor or Portland, Maine. A 3 hr. (Bar Harbor to Yarmouth on
    the Cat, or a 12 hr. Portland to Yarmouth overnight) ferry ride. A day's
    travel up the length of Nova Scotia. A ferry ride to Newfie, which is
    either short (6 hrs.) to Port aux Basques on the SW coast, or 14 hrs. to
    Argentia. Then a beautiful landscape with a few roads. Figure 2-1/2 days
    of travel to GET there. It's also not flat once you're there. You'll come
    home with a lot of photo's of moose and trees (Grin).

    Prince Edward Island is also very pretty, very flat, very friendly and has
    good riding, though you may get bored. Maybe 2-3 days to see it all on a
    bike. Go there if you like lobsters.

    The SW coast of Nova Scotia is very pretty as well, not very hilly, lot's of
    roads out to light houses, with terrific views. Good riding down here from
    Yarmouth east to Halifax. All roads though, sometimes crowded with barely
    mobile homes.

    So maybe a trip to Bar Harbor, ride the bike paths at Acadia Nat'l Park,
    then a ferry to Yarmouth, NS, ride some of the shore, then over to PEI, then
    up the Saint Lawrence to Montreal ?.

    What happened to Italy ?.

    SB

  5. jtdickie

    jtdickie Guest

    My wife and I liked Prince Edward Island, and we like the Quebec area. A
    nice ride from Mt. Morency to Quebec.

    Jim
    "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My wife and I are still searching for our next bike-friendly vacation
    > destination. Last year, we spent some time in Toronto and Ottawa, bit
    > great biking cities, in my opinion.
    >
    > This year, we've got a free timeshare to use and we don't know what to do
    > with it. We're from New York and have billions of air miles to burn.
    > However, we don't really want to travel overseas given the current world
    > situation.
    >
    > I've heard a bit about New Foundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, etc, and
    > there are definitely some timeshare options up there. What we'd like is a
    > place that's fairly flat (my wife is not a serious bicyclist, but still
    > likes to ride), a place with safe bikeways/bikelanes, and a place with
    > lots of outdoors cafes (that have bicycle parking, of course.) Like most
    > people, we like riding along the water, whether it's an ocean or a large
    > duck pond. We also like to be among "regular people," that is people who
    > don't mind tourists and people who aren't visiting a certain place to show
    > that they can afford to. Get my drift?
    >
    > So is this region worth considering? Our other thoughts are Alaska, or
    > perhaps somewhere in California. Thanks for your input.
    >
    > Tom M (New York)

  6. NY Rides

    NY Rides Guest

    The same thing that happened to Amsterdam. We've got this free time share
    in Key West, Florida that we're looking to trade-in for a location somewhere
    else in the world. Unfortunately, you can only go to a place where a
    time-share owner is willing to trade during the week you want to go. We
    couldn't get a place in the Netherlands, couldn't get one in Italy, and now
    I just found out that Eastern Canada isn't going to work out, either.

    We've done Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa and loved them all. It looks like
    we may just settle for the Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket area this
    time around. We haven't been there yet and can never get a hotel room
    during the season. Perhaps we'll have more luck with a time share.

    Either way, we need a good bike-friendly vacation, as all we do is work and
    eat these days! So any ideas, other than the obvious bike trails, for this
    region?

    "Steve B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Echoing some of Rolands comments:
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >> If your wife is not a Strong rider I would forget Newfoundlander and
    >> Labrador. They are beautiful but not flat. Nova Scotia is flat but in
    >> my opinion not very interesting.

    > Newfoundland is also a long trip to get to. From LI, a full day to the
    > ferry in Bar Harbor or Portland, Maine. A 3 hr. (Bar Harbor to Yarmouth
    > on the Cat, or a 12 hr. Portland to Yarmouth overnight) ferry ride. A
    > day's travel up the length of Nova Scotia. A ferry ride to Newfie, which
    > is either short (6 hrs.) to Port aux Basques on the SW coast, or 14 hrs.
    > to Argentia. Then a beautiful landscape with a few roads. Figure 2-1/2
    > days of travel to GET there. It's also not flat once you're there.
    > You'll come home with a lot of photo's of moose and trees (Grin).
    >
    > Prince Edward Island is also very pretty, very flat, very friendly and has
    > good riding, though you may get bored. Maybe 2-3 days to see it all on a
    > bike. Go there if you like lobsters.
    >
    > The SW coast of Nova Scotia is very pretty as well, not very hilly, lot's
    > of roads out to light houses, with terrific views. Good riding down here
    > from Yarmouth east to Halifax. All roads though, sometimes crowded with
    > barely mobile homes.
    >
    > So maybe a trip to Bar Harbor, ride the bike paths at Acadia Nat'l Park,
    > then a ferry to Yarmouth, NS, ride some of the shore, then over to PEI,
    > then up the Saint Lawrence to Montreal ?.
    >
    > What happened to Italy ?.
    >
    > SB

  7. Cyclotique

    Cyclotique Guest

    NY Rides <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My wife and I are still searching for our next bike-friendly vacation
    > destination. Last year, we spent some time in Toronto and Ottawa, bit great
    > biking cities, in my opinion.
    >
    > This year, we've got a free timeshare to use and we don't know what to do
    > with it. We're from New York and have billions of air miles to burn.
    > However, we don't really want to travel overseas given the current world
    > situation.
    >
    > I've heard a bit about New Foundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, etc, and
    > there are definitely some timeshare options up there. What we'd like is a
    > place that's fairly flat (my wife is not a serious bicyclist, but still
    > likes to ride), a place with safe bikeways/bikelanes, and a place with lots
    > of outdoors cafes (that have bicycle parking, of course.) Like most people,
    > we like riding along the water, whether it's an ocean or a large duck pond.
    > We also like to be among "regular people," that is people who don't mind
    > tourists and people who aren't visiting a certain place to show that they
    > can afford to. Get my drift?
    >
    > So is this region worth considering? Our other thoughts are Alaska, or
    > perhaps somewhere in California. Thanks for your input.
    >
    > Tom M (New York)

    If you do'nt mind the hills then Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail are top
    notch. Lat year it was full of regular folks, plus a few crazy folks on
    bikes (like myself). Great stuff.

    --
    Cyclo

  8. BTW, the ferry from Portland, ME to Yarmouth, NS is no more. When I
    called to check they said there were no plans at this time to start
    service again.

  9. On 16 Mar 2006, [email protected] wrote:

    > BTW, the ferry from Portland, ME to Yarmouth, NS is no more. When I
    > called to check they said there were no plans at this time to start
    > service again.

    I last checked about this a year ago. Apparently the ferry dock
    in Portland was declared unsafe and needed expensive repairs.
    I guess they thought it wasn't worth repairing the dock.

    HOWEVER.... I just checked again and it seems that the CAT
    ferry service (Bar Harbor, ME to Yarmouth) will be expanding to
    go to Portland 3 days a week! ( I don't know where they got the dock!)
    But I've had past troubles with ferry schedules (not operating
    according to published schedules!), so better check ahead to make sure
    there REALLY is a boat leaving when they say there is.

    Their claim is on this page :

    http://www.catferry.com/special_offers_packages/index.php

    (HMM, I might take the CAT for a trip to New Hampshire-Vermont
    this August)

    --

    David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
    email: [email protected]

  10. If you are going to Newfoundland or Cape Breton from Maine by car or
    bicycle there isn't much advantage to the Cat.

    The Cat is nice if you want to go by bicycle to Yarmouth from Bar
    Harbor then ride to Digby. Then bicycle back through New Brunswick and
    Maine with a visit to Campobello.

    But if you going to Cape Breton (including the ferry terminal to
    Newfoundland), it doesn't really save many mile and you miss the chance
    to go to Prince Edward Island.

    The scheduling of the Cat has been a little erratic in the past. I got
    stuck in Yarmoth for a few days after an incident with a fishing boat.
    I think those problems have been worked out but someone from Nova
    Scotia can probably clear that up.

    Roland
    Dover, NH