Riding in Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Kendall, May 18, 2003.

  1. Kendall

    Kendall Guest

    We (the family) are going to be at Glacier National Park the late may early July and I'm wondering
    if I should take my travel bike to get some riding
    in. What's the road riding like? How are the roads and the drivers? I'd like to do some long climbs
    if possible close to the lodge at the southeast lodge. Can one ride the road to the sun or is
    the traffic too bad?

    TIA,

    Ken

    Tags:

  2. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    "Kendall" <ckensto(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > We (the family) are going to be at Glacier National Park the late may
    early
    > July and I'm wondering if I should take my travel bike to get some riding
    > in. What's the road riding like? How are the roads and the drivers?
    I'd
    > like to do some long climbs if possible close to the lodge at the
    southeast
    > lodge. Can one ride the road to the sun or is the traffic too bad?

    Bicycling is tricky with all the RVs but doable. You must stop and let them pass when 4 or more are
    bunched up behind you in the park.

    The ride over the famed Going-To-The-Sun Highway between Apgar on the western side of Glacier to
    Saint Mary on the eastern side of the Park is
    56.5 miles and is rated as moderate to difficult. Awesome views!

    Bicycle restrictions are in effect from June 15th until Labor Day. For northbound (uphill) cyclists
    ONLY on the western side of Logan Pass, the section of the highway from Logan Creek to Logan Pass is
    prohibited between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. (That means you can be going downhill on this section of road
    between those hours, but cannot be climbing. You'll probably have no trouble keeping up with traffic
    while going downhill). Between Sprague Creek Campground and Apgar Campground, all bicycle travel is
    prohibited between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. IN BOTH DIRECTIONS.

    The eastern side of the Sun Road is open all day between Saint Mary and Logan Pass.

    If you are caught on the road during the prohibited hours, the park service will make you dismount
    and wait until the road is opened up to bicycles again. This can make for a loooong day if your
    timing is wrong. They sometimes transport you and your bicycle back to the starting point.

    Start early! It takes about 45 minutes to ride from Sprague Creek to Logan Creek and about three
    hours from Logan Creek to Logan Pass.

    Approximate mileage log .0 Apgar
    57. Sprague Creek Campground
    58. Lake McDonald
    59.5 Logan Creek
    60. Tunnel (short)
    61.5 Logan Pass (visitor center, don't miss)
    62.5 Tunnel
    63. Sunrift Gorge
    64.5 Rising Sun (campground and store)
    65.2 Leave Glacier National Park
    66.5 Saint Mary

    No bicycles on trails anywhere in the park, except a few places in Waterton.

  3. this makes great sense. a park, for enjoying the outdoors. but weirdthings like riding a bike
    forbidden for fat people in RVs who whould be forced to get out and walk if anyone's to be forced.

  4. Kendall

    Kendall Guest

    I haven't been able to find a profile of the "going to the sun highway". Does andyone know if one
    exists on line?

    Ken

    "Gerry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Kendall" <ckensto(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > We (the family) are going to be at Glacier National Park the late may
    > early
    > > July and I'm wondering if I should take my travel bike to get some
    riding
    > > in. What's the road riding like? How are the roads and the drivers?
    > I'd
    > > like to do some long climbs if possible close to the lodge at the
    > southeast
    > > lodge. Can one ride the road to the sun or is the traffic too bad?
    >
    > Bicycling is tricky with all the RVs but doable. You must stop and let
    them
    > pass when 4 or more are bunched up behind you in the park.
    >
    > The ride over the famed Going-To-The-Sun Highway between Apgar on the western side of Glacier to
    > Saint Mary on the eastern side of the Park is
    > 56.5 miles and is rated as moderate to difficult. Awesome views!
    >
    > Bicycle restrictions are in effect from June 15th until Labor Day. For northbound (uphill)
    > cyclists ONLY on the western side of Logan Pass, the section of the highway from Logan Creek to
    > Logan Pass is prohibited between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. (That means
    you
    > can be going downhill on this section of road between those hours, but cannot be climbing. You'll
    > probably have no trouble keeping up with traffic while going downhill). Between Sprague Creek
    > Campground and Apgar Campground, all bicycle travel
    is
    > prohibited between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. IN BOTH DIRECTIONS.
    >
    > The eastern side of the Sun Road is open all day between Saint Mary and Logan Pass.
    >
    > If you are caught on the road during the prohibited hours, the park
    service
    > will make you dismount and wait until the road is opened up to bicycles again. This can make for a
    > loooong day if your timing is wrong. They sometimes transport you and your bicycle back to the
    > starting point.
    >
    > Start early! It takes about 45 minutes to ride from Sprague Creek to Logan Creek and about three
    > hours from Logan Creek to Logan Pass.
    >
    > Approximate mileage log .0 Apgar
    > 8. Sprague Creek Campground
    > 9. Lake McDonald
    > 21.5 Logan Creek
    > 25. Tunnel (short)
    > 33.5 Logan Pass (visitor center, don't miss)
    > 34.5 Tunnel
    > 41. Sunrift Gorge
    > 45.5 Rising Sun (campground and store)
    > 56.2 Leave Glacier National Park
    > 56.5 Saint Mary
    >
    > No bicycles on trails anywhere in the park, except a few places in
    Waterton.

  5. Jeff Orum

    Jeff Orum Guest

    "Kendall" <ckensto(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I haven't been able to find a profile of the "going to the sun highway". Does andyone know if one
    > exists on line?
    >
    > Ken

    Take a look at http://home.att.net/~orum/ST2002.html, on Day 2 we rode over the Going to the Sun
    Highway and there is a profile there.