Riding in Glacier National Park

Kendall

Guest
We (the family) are going to be at Glacier National Park the late may early July and I'm wondering
if I should take my travel bike to get some riding
in. What's the road riding like? How are the roads and the drivers? I'd like to do some long climbs
if possible close to the lodge at the southeast lodge. Can one ride the road to the sun or is
the traffic too bad?

TIA,

Ken

"Kendall" <ckensto(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> We (the family) are going to be at Glacier National Park the late may
early
> July and I'm wondering if I should take my travel bike to get some riding
> in. What's the road riding like? How are the roads and the drivers?
I'd
> like to do some long climbs if possible close to the lodge at the
southeast
> lodge. Can one ride the road to the sun or is the traffic too bad?

Bicycling is tricky with all the RVs but doable. You must stop and let them pass when 4 or more are
bunched up behind you in the park.

The ride over the famed Going-To-The-Sun Highway between Apgar on the western side of Glacier to
Saint Mary on the eastern side of the Park is
56.5 miles and is rated as moderate to difficult. Awesome views!

Bicycle restrictions are in effect from June 15th until Labor Day. For northbound (uphill) cyclists
ONLY on the western side of Logan Pass, the section of the highway from Logan Creek to Logan Pass is
prohibited between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. (That means you can be going downhill on this section of road
between those hours, but cannot be climbing. You'll probably have no trouble keeping up with traffic
while going downhill). Between Sprague Creek Campground and Apgar Campground, all bicycle travel is
prohibited between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. IN BOTH DIRECTIONS.

The eastern side of the Sun Road is open all day between Saint Mary and Logan Pass.

If you are caught on the road during the prohibited hours, the park service will make you dismount
and wait until the road is opened up to bicycles again. This can make for a loooong day if your
timing is wrong. They sometimes transport you and your bicycle back to the starting point.

Start early! It takes about 45 minutes to ride from Sprague Creek to Logan Creek and about three
hours from Logan Creek to Logan Pass.

Approximate mileage log .0 Apgar
57. Sprague Creek Campground
58. Lake McDonald
59.5 Logan Creek
60. Tunnel (short)
61.5 Logan Pass (visitor center, don't miss)
62.5 Tunnel
63. Sunrift Gorge
64.5 Rising Sun (campground and store)
65.2 Leave Glacier National Park
66.5 Saint Mary

No bicycles on trails anywhere in the park, except a few places in Waterton.

this makes great sense. a park, for enjoying the outdoors. but weirdthings like riding a bike
forbidden for fat people in RVs who whould be forced to get out and walk if anyone's to be forced.

I haven't been able to find a profile of the "going to the sun highway". Does andyone know if one
exists on line?

Ken

news:[email protected]...