Riding in Hampton VA...not a picnic

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Velonut, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. Velonut

    Velonut Guest

    IRT riding in the Hampton/VA Beach -

    In 2000 I rode from FL to DC via that area. The minute we cycled from NC into VA we were met with
    hostility. In reprospect I must say that the Hampton/VA Beach area was the absolutely most hostile
    segment of the 1200 miles.

    On the other hand, once we were shuttled thru the tunnel and onVA's eastern shore, nothing could
    have been better. the people were great and the back roads an absolute delight. BTW, the tunnel
    folks could not have been more helpful. They run a shuttle service for cyclists thru the tunnel.
    Cost is $10. Quite the bargain when one considers the tens of miles required to cycle around
    that area.

    I really do not know why two parts of the same state could be so dramatically different. The
    Hampton/VA Beach area was the pits.

    Resignedly

    Dale Lally Pompano Beach FL Regards from the Velo Nut

    Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > IRT riding in the Hampton/VA Beach -
    >
    > In 2000 I rode from FL to DC via that area. The minute we cycled from NC into VA we were met with
    > hostility. In reprospect I must say that the Hampton/VA Beach area was the absolutely most hostile
    > segment of the 1200 miles.
    >
    > On the other hand, once we were shuttled thru the tunnel and onVA's eastern shore, nothing could
    > have been better. the people were great and the back roads an absolute delight. BTW, the tunnel
    > folks could not have been more helpful. They run a shuttle service for cyclists thru the tunnel.
    > Cost is $10. Quite the bargain when one considers the tens of miles required to cycle around
    > that area.
    >
    > I really do not know why two parts of the same state could be so dramatically different. The
    > Hampton/VA Beach area was the pits.

    Having lived there for 6 years, it's mainly because everyone there is originally from somewhere
    else, and they all hate it. It's too hot in the summer, too wet in the winter, and too much traffic
    all year 'round. Therefore, they take it out on any convenient victim.

  3. Cycling Joe

    Cycling Joe Guest

    --------------010207060205020905090001 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    I've watched people move to the south from other areas and it's really funny.

    The grouchy people really start to act up on the first humid 85 degree day, and this persists
    through the middle of September when it finally cools off. There are those that try to resist the
    heat and run their car and home AC's till they kill it, spending 100's of dollars in the process.
    Some move back to where they came from. Then there are the ones who just give in, and become
    "climatized". These people slow down, start drinking sweet tea, discover beach music, and generally
    do nothing when it's hot. This is about the same time they start speaking in southern tongues. It
    would make for quite a socialogical study.

    David Kerber wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >

    >>IRT riding in the Hampton/VA Beach -
    >>
    >>In 2000 I rode from FL to DC via that area. The minute we cycled from NC into VA we were met with
    >>hostility. In reprospect I must say that the Hampton/VA Beach area was the absolutely most hostile
    >>segment of the 1200 miles.
    >>
    >>On the other hand, once we were shuttled thru the tunnel and onVA's eastern shore, nothing could
    >>have been better. the people were great and the back roads an absolute delight. BTW, the tunnel
    >>folks could not have been more helpful. They run a shuttle service for cyclists thru the tunnel.
    >>Cost is $10. Quite the bargain when one considers the tens of miles required to cycle around
    >>that area.
    >>
    >>I really do not know why two parts of the same state could be so dramatically different. The
    >>Hampton/VA Beach area was the pits.
    >>

    >Having lived there for 6 years, it's mainly because everyone there is originally from somewhere
    >else, and they all hate it. It's too hot in the summer, too wet in the winter, and too much traffic
    >all year 'round. Therefore, they take it out on any convenient victim.

    --------------010207060205020905090001 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    </head> <body> I've watched people move to the south from other areas and it's really funny.
    persists through<br> the middle of September when it finally cools off. There are those that
    try to resist the heat and run their car and home AC's till they kill it, spending 100's of dollars
    in the process. Some move back to where they came from. Then there are the ones who just
    give in, and become "climatized". These people slow down, start drinking sweet tea, discover
    beach music, and generally do nothing when it's hot. This is about the same time they start speaking
    in southern tongues. It would make for quite a socialogical study. <br> <br> David Kerber
    wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre
    wrap="">In article <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email protected]
    a.aol.com"><[email protected]></a>, <a
    class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> says... </pre>

[...]

  4. Can you share your route information in that area? Also, is the bridge/tunnel shuttle service
    available on demand - or on a schedule or what? Thanks for your help. Ron

    "VeloNut" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > IRT riding in the Hampton/VA Beach -
    >
    > In 2000 I rode from FL to DC via that area. The minute we cycled from NC
    into
    > VA we were met with hostility. In reprospect I must say that the
    Hampton/VA
    > Beach area was the absolutely most hostile segment of the 1200 miles.
    >
    > On the other hand, once we were shuttled thru the tunnel and onVA's
    eastern
    > shore, nothing could have been better. the people were great and the back roads an absolute
    > delight. BTW, the tunnel folks could not have been more helpful. They run a shuttle service for
    > cyclists thru the tunnel. Cost
    is
    > $10. Quite the bargain when one considers the tens of miles required to
    cycle
    > around that area.
    >
    > I really do not know why two parts of the same state could be so
    dramatically
    > different. The Hampton/VA Beach area was the pits.
    >
    > Resignedly
    >
    > Dale Lally Pompano Beach FL Regards from the Velo Nut
    >
    > Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

  5. Velonut

    Velonut Guest

    IRT the route, we were generally following Ikenberry's route in Cycling the Atlantic Coast. However
    her route swings west of Va Beach. Once thru the tunnel, we continued north on SR 600 which
    parallels highway 13. We decided that 600 was the perfect road. We stayed on the roads parallel to
    US 13 and passed thru such towns as Persimmonpoint & Assawoman. We were on SR 679 when we passed
    into MD. At the point the road became SR 12.

    HTH

    We were very fortunately that someone mentioned that shuttle service in a newsgroups posting and
    were able to utulize it.

    It was a service not exactly on demand. they have their times for doing that - usually around 9 AM.
    We arranged for a 9:30 shuttle. The shuttle driver was extremely helpful.

    It is necessary to call tunnel administration. When we were there in 2000, the fone system was in a
    massive state of dissaray. We simply could not get thru on the fone. So I rode over there one
    evening and arranged for the shuttle service the next morning. Regards from the Velo Nut

    Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]