riding in Orlando

Michael Lasorsa

Guest
Going to Disney World in July and will be off my bike for over a week. Any road rides or clubs that
meet during the week? I'm thinking about bringing my bike if there's any riding. Please email
[email protected] any links or contacts in that area.

Thanks Michael

I'm not from Orlando and visit for about a week each year. Have not had any luck finding bike
friendly roads south of Orlando - the attractions area. If you can go a little north or northwest
there are two nice rail trails. One is the West Orange Bike Trail that runs from west of Winter
Garden about 18 miles to Apopka. At the western end (County Line Station?) which is about five miles
west of Winter Garden and just north of state hwy 50 there is a nice park with a complete bike shop
with a variety of rentals. The trail is paved and doesn't have many road crossings. The north end
goes through a low income area in Apopka but I've never had any problems. Lots of fast food in
Apopka on US441. See http://www.digitalcity.com/orlando/entertainment/venue.adp?vid=123983 Another
rail trail starts in Altamonte Springs about 10 north of Orlando off I-4. Exit on county 436 west,
go about two miles and there is a county park on the right (north) side right where the road does a
sweeping turn to right. Paved trail goes north to Sanford with few road, but very high auto traffic,
crossings. They are building a new bike & pedestrian bridge across I-4 near the AAA national HQ. If
you find any good Orlando riding elsewhere please let me know. Bob

"Michael LaSorsa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Going to Disney World in July and will be off my bike for over a week.
Any
> road rides or clubs that meet during the week? I'm thinking about
bringing
> my bike if there's any riding. Please email [email protected] any links or contacts in
> that area.
>
> Thanks Michael

I used to live in Orlando. Might try this URL: http://www.windermereroadies.com/ These guys are real
serioius hard-riding but nice. They do have some of their route maps posted- basically west and
North of Orlando.

"Bob & Mary Fletcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm not from Orlando and visit for about a week each year. Have not had any
> > my bike if there's any riding. Please email [email protected] any links or contacts in
> > that area.
> >
> > Thanks Michael

I live in Orlando, we do have some good roads to ride when you get away from the theme parks and
head out of town. I personally like to ride west Orange county and Lake county. Many of the rural
roads are popular with bicyclist so the locals are getting accustomed to seeing us, some are
actually learning how to safely and properly interact with us on the road. If you like riding with a
group the Florida freewheelers has rides every Sat. and Sun. you can get information as well as some
ride maps (good routing) at www.floridafreewheelers.com. If you like rail trails west of Orlando is
the VanFleet trail (bring water) that will take you through the Green swamp to the town of Polk
City. Further west towards Brooksville is the Withlacochee trail (bring water), it passes through
several towns with an on trail bike shop and like the VanFleet and West Orange trails is paved.

Here's a little trivia; along the Withlacochee trail you will see what appears to be big cement
Popsicle sticks with stripes sticking up. These are whistle stops, thick stripes indicate a long
whistle blow, thin a short toot. Also, there are still markers with numbers on them, this is the
mileage to the railroads headquarters in Richmond, Va..

Here's wishing you a good ride wherever it takes you.
--
See the countryside on a bicycle ride.