Riding in Perth

mdsl

Jan 5, 2007
Hi,

I am new to cycling and have just started riding to work (Mandurah to Rockingham). I noticed there seems to be a few WA members on the site who may be able to give some advice. Can someone recommend which is the best route to take? Currently I am going up Mandurah Rd to Secret Harbour then down Warnbro Sound Road to Rockingham. Does anyone else on the forum do this ride at all?

Cheers

mdsl

tanghy said:
does anyone which is the shortest & safest way to get from bibra lake to claremont?
Freeway bike path to the Narrows,
Mounts Bay Road to the Uni,
Hackett Drive to Princess Road,
Princess Road to Bay View Terrace,
Bay View Terrace to Claremont. :)

I've just received a HUGE job offer to work in East Perth. I currently live in Melbourne and am loving my 25km commute. Does anyone have any idea of where an affordable place in Perth ($500k for three bedrooms) would be that has access to good bike paths into work. I don't want to go further than 25k though.

Thanks

mphew1 said:
I've just received a HUGE job offer to work in East Perth. I currently live in Melbourne and am loving my 25km commute. Does anyone have any idea of where an affordable place in Perth ($500k for three bedrooms) would be that has access to good bike paths into work. I don't want to go further than 25k though.

Thanks
North of the river Duncraig and sarrounding areas may well be a good area. For a 3 bedder you should be able to go the 500k mark. Good paths into the city and east perth from there.

gclark8 said:
Freeway bike path to the Narrows,
Mounts Bay Road to the Uni,
Hackett Drive to Princess Road,
Princess Road to Bay View Terrace,
Bay View Terrace to Claremont. :)

is there a shorter path? this route will take too long.. :mad:

tanghy said:
is there a shorter path? this route will take too long.. :mad:
Yep, after the Uni, stay on Stirling Hwy until Bay View Tce but then you' are on the road which has two lanes of traffic each way which sounds like you do not want. I used to do that every commute to Freo and never had any dramas. Used to see lots of riders out in the mornings doing Stirling Hwy going both ways.

One advantage of the Hackett/Princess route is there is only one set of lights, Bay View Tce/Stirling Hwy.
The Stirling Hwy Route has 7 sets of lights. :eek:

gclark8 said:
One advantage of the Hackett/Princess route is there is only one set of lights, Bay View Tce/Stirling Hwy.
The Stirling Hwy Route has 7 sets of lights. :eek:
The time of the day (6-6:30am) that I used to ride that way was lucky if I ever got caught at any of those lights apart from the set at Thomas Rd/Stirling Hwy with me being on Thomas Road.:p Having said that I returned home a different way as time was not a factor returning home.

Hey George, if you've finished counting the lights, get your broom out and sweep that pathway from Bayswater to E. Perth for me. The amount of glass that is continually on that path from the ferals around there is a pain in the you know what.

Skull said:
Hey George, if you've finished counting the lights, get your broom out and sweep that pathway from Bayswater to E. Perth for me. The amount of glass that is continually on that path from the ferals around there is a pain in the you know what.
I have to do the one from Success Hill Station to Gfd Bridge, under the rail bridges, again. :mad: The ToB Council say its not theirs.

Have you reported the Bayswater/EP path to the three local councils that look after it? I guess I could take a walk along it with a broom later in the week. ;)

gclark8 said:
I have to do the one from Success Hill Station to Gfd Bridge, under the rail bridges, again. :mad: The ToB Council say its not theirs.

Have you reported the Bayswater/EP path to the three local councils that look after it? I guess I could take a walk along it with a broom later in the week. ;)
Have reported it on link on DPI site, who are supposed to report it to appropiate council, many times. The thing is, it happens so often that they are probably thinking its the same incident or I am just being a pain.

Where are the witches when you need them.