Riding in Providence, RI

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Td, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Td

    Td Guest

    Going to up in Providence RI for a week and was wondering about any local rides or places to go
    riding. Thanks for any help.

    Tags:

  2. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    If you can get to East Providence, get on the East Bay Bike Path to Bristol. Do a search for the
    path online for more info!

    --
    Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "TD" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > Going to up in Providence RI for a week and was wondering about any local rides or places to go
    > riding. Thanks for any help.

  3. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > Going to up in Providence RI for a week and was wondering about any local rides or places to go
    > riding. Thanks for any help.

    Check out the website of the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen: www.nbwclub.org. They run an organized ride
    every weekend, and point you to maps for the various RI bike trails.

    it's morning".

  4. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    I agree, www.nbwclub.org is your best source for upcoming group rides and also info on the local
    trails. One more piece of advice when biking in RI: watch out for the local drivers who are
    notorious for not signaling before turns!

    C.C.

    > Going to up in Providence RI for a week and was wondering about any local rides or places to go
    > riding. Thanks for any help.

  5. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    You'll find a map and other info at www.eastbaybikepath.com

    --
    Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "NYRides" <[email protected]>
    > If you can get to East Providence, get on the East Bay Bike Path to
    Bristol.
    > Do a search for the path online for more info!
    >
    > --
    > Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "TD" <[email protected]> wrote
    > in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Going to up in Providence RI for a week and was wondering about any
    local
    > > rides or places to go riding. Thanks for any help.

  6. C . Porter

    C . Porter Guest

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:14:03 -0500, "TD" <[email protected]> wrote:

    |Going to up in Providence RI for a week and was wondering about any local |rides or places to go
    riding. Thanks for any help.

    Best way to see Newport(the mansions, the whole bit) is by bike, IMHO.

  7. If the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen are still operating, I have not lived there for more then 20 years
    but I do believe they are alive and well, check in with them. They have one of the most experienced
    clubs around with some really scenic rides. When I lived in the area, one of my favorites was going
    down to Galilee and the fishing areas. The North country is also very pretty as I remember.

    "C. Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:14:03 -0500, "TD" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > |Going to up in Providence RI for a week and was wondering about any local |rides or places to go
    > riding. Thanks for any help.
    > |

    > Best way to see Newport(the mansions, the whole bit) is by bike, IMHO.

  8. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:14:03 -0500, "TD" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > |Going to up in Providence RI for a week and was wondering about any local |rides or places to go
    > riding. Thanks for any help.
    > |

    > Best way to see Newport(the mansions, the whole bit) is by bike, IMHO.

    I would agree, but it's not easy to get from Providence to Newport by bike. You could take the RIPTA
    bus and put your bike in the rack, though.

    it's morning".

  9. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > If the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen are still operating, I have not lived there for more then 20
    > years but I do believe they are alive and well, check in

    They are still alive and well, and running weekly rides all over the state.

    it's morning".

  10. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    > From: archer <[email protected]_hotmail.com>

    >> Best way to see Newport(the mansions, the whole bit) is by bike, IMHO.
    >
    > I would agree, but it's not easy to get from Providence to Newport by bike. You could take the
    > RIPTA bus and put your bike in the rack, though.

    It's easy! You can bike the East Bay Bike Path starting almost in downtown Providence (just across a
    short flat bridge, then you're on it) all the way to Bristol, then you bike across the truly
    beautiful Mt. Hope bay bridge, and you're on the island that includes Newport. Only about 15 miles
    south, and you can visit those mansions. Probably about a 60-mile round trip, just one full day with
    landscape and lunch.

    Get the free RI bike map at any LBS.

    C.C.

  11. Archer

    Archer Guest

    In article <BAAF1C19.49228%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > > From: archer <[email protected]_hotmail.com>
    >
    > >> Best way to see Newport(the mansions, the whole bit) is by bike, IMHO.
    > >
    > > I would agree, but it's not easy to get from Providence to Newport by bike. You could take the
    > > RIPTA bus and put your bike in the rack, though.
    > >
    > It's easy! You can bike the East Bay Bike Path starting almost in downtown Providence (just across
    > a short flat bridge, then you're on it) all the way to Bristol, then you bike across the truly
    > beautiful Mt. Hope bay bridge, and you're on the island that includes Newport. Only about 15 miles
    > south, and you can visit those mansions. Probably about a 60-mile round trip, just one full day
    > with landscape and lunch.

    Well, I wouldn't want to ride across the Mt. Hope Bridge, or down West Main road, on a bike with the
    traffic and the lack of any shoulder.

    it's morning".

  12. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    >>> I would agree, but it's not easy to get from Providence to Newport by bike. You could take the
    >>> RIPTA bus and put your bike in the rack, though.
    >>>
    >> It's easy! You can bike the East Bay Bike Path starting almost in downtown Providence (just
    >> across a short flat bridge, then you're on it) all the way to Bristol, then you bike across the
    >> truly beautiful Mt. Hope bay bridge, and you're on the island that includes Newport. Only about
    >> 15 miles south, and you can visit those mansions. Probably about a 60-mile round trip, just one
    >> full day with landscape and lunch.
    >
    > Well, I wouldn't want to ride across the Mt. Hope Bridge, or down West Main road, on a bike with
    > the traffic and the lack of any shoulder.

    If you avoid rush hour, the Mt. Hope bridge is no problem. At the highest point you can pull your
    bike off the roadway and onto one of the balconies, for a rest and a magnificent view. And once
    you've crossed, you'll go down Main Rd. only a short distance before you turn off and take parallel
    streets. For example, Burma Rd. on the west side is now all bike road.

    A few years ago, I took a NBW ride called the "Four Bridges" ride which started in Newport, crossed
    westward on the big Pell Bridge (with police escort), went north along the coast roads to downtown
    Providence, crossed the bridge to E. Prov., took the bike path to Bristol, crossed the Mt. Hope
    Bridge, and then we rode back to Newport. About 67 glorious miles.

    Just like biking everywhere, ride in groups of 2 or 3 with blinkers on the rear, wear bright
    clothing, avoid rush hours and you'll do OK. I ride alone but I also use a dayglo flag on a pole and
    a rear-view mirror. Discretion is the better part of valor.

    C.C.

  13. Archer

    Archer Guest

    In article <BAAF362E.49246%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > > Well, I wouldn't want to ride across the Mt. Hope Bridge, or down West Main road, on a bike with
    > > the traffic and the lack of any shoulder.
    >
    > If you avoid rush hour, the Mt. Hope bridge is no problem. At the highest point you can pull your
    > bike off the roadway and onto one of the balconies, for a rest and a magnificent view. And once
    > you've crossed, you'll go down Main Rd. only a short distance before you turn off and take
    > parallel streets. For example, Burma Rd. on the west side is now all bike road.

    Oh, yeah! I forgot about Burma Rd. I used to ride it when I was stationed at the Navy base.

    > A few years ago, I took a NBW ride called the "Four Bridges" ride which started in Newport,
    > crossed westward on the big Pell Bridge (with police escort), went north along the coast roads to
    > downtown Providence, crossed the bridge to E. Prov., took the bike path to Bristol, crossed the
    > Mt. Hope Bridge, and then we rode back to Newport. About 67 glorious miles.

    That would be a fun ride; do you know if they are going to do it again any time soon?

    > Just like biking everywhere, ride in groups of 2 or 3 with blinkers on the rear, wear bright
    > clothing, avoid rush hours and you'll do OK. I ride alone but I also use a dayglo flag on a pole
    > and a rear-view mirror. Discretion is the better part of valor.

    For sure!

    it's morning".

  14. Ed

    Ed Guest

    archer <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <BAAF362E.49246%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > > > Well, I wouldn't want to ride across the Mt. Hope Bridge, or down West Main road, on a bike
    > > > with the traffic and the lack of any shoulder.
    > >
    > > If you avoid rush hour, the Mt. Hope bridge is no problem. At the highest point you can pull
    > > your bike off the roadway and onto one of the balconies, for a rest and a magnificent view. And
    > > once you've crossed, you'll go down Main Rd. only a short distance before you turn off and take
    > > parallel streets. For example, Burma Rd. on the west side is now all bike road.
    >
    > Oh, yeah! I forgot about Burma Rd. I used to ride it when I was stationed at the Navy base.
    >

    > > A few years ago, I took a NBW ride called the "Four Bridges" ride which started in Newport,
    > > crossed westward on the big Pell Bridge (with police escort), went north along the coast roads
    > > to downtown Providence, crossed the bridge to E. Prov., took the bike path to Bristol, crossed
    > > the Mt. Hope Bridge, and then we rode back to Newport. About 67 glorious miles.
    >
    > That would be a fun ride; do you know if they are going to do it again any time soon?
    >
    > > Just like biking everywhere, ride in groups of 2 or 3 with blinkers on the rear, wear bright
    > > clothing, avoid rush hours and you'll do OK. I ride alone but I also use a dayglo flag on a pole
    > > and a rear-view mirror. Discretion is the better part of valor.
    >
    > For sure!

    I rode over the Mt. Hope Bridge, and someday I'll put my heart back in place. I went early A.M. with
    no traffic and took a whoe lane, I wasn't moving anywhere near the railings,the view was great

  15. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (ed) wrote:

    > archer <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > In article <BAAF362E.49246%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    snip

    I did this ³ride² many years ago on a Raleigh English 3 speed. It wa s just as terrifying then.

    Of course in those days, one had to take the ³Hammonton² or the ³Govenor Carr² ferry out of Newport.
    Cost all of a dime. Had to walk accross the old Jamestown Bridge to Saunderstown.

    Oh the memories!

    Spring was here...for a day.

    HAND