Riding in Richmond, VA

Robert Pawlak

Guest
Hi All,

My wife and I are thinking of moving to the Richmond area. We will soon start to look for a place to
live, and I want to select a location that has some decent rides nearby.

So, if you could live anywhere in the Richmond environs, and:
1. Have a decent commute to VCU (say less than 45 minutes)
2. Be in close proximity to some decent roads for riding

Where would it be? In an ideal world, I'd like to be near some little trafficed back roads, and have
a choice of several decent loops of 20-50 miles. I am not a fan of dedicated cycling trails, since I
like to ride fast...

Thanks, Bob Please send e-mail, since I don't read this group that often....

get in touch with the folks at RABA...Richmond Area Bicycling Association...good people. the
Richmond area is chock full of great rides...

btw...RABA has a website

Ashland, a nice college town about 20 minutes north of Richmond, besides being the Center of the
Universe, is great for cycling. The surrounding county (Hanover) has some of the nicest roads in
the area and are well used by Richmond area cyclists. I don't know where you are moving from, but a
45 minute commute here is pretty rare, unless you really want to live way out. I live about a mile
and a half from VCU and can access nice roads to the North and to the East in about 20-25 minutes
on my bike.

[email protected] (Robert Pawlak) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi All,
>
> My wife and I are thinking of moving to the Richmond area. We will soon start to look for a place
> to live, and I want to select a location that has some decent rides nearby.
>
> So, if you could live anywhere in the Richmond environs, and:
> 1. Have a decent commute to VCU (say less than 45 minutes)
> 2. Be in close proximity to some decent roads for riding
>
> Where would it be? In an ideal world, I'd like to be near some little trafficed back roads, and
> have a choice of several decent loops of 20-50 miles. I am not a fan of dedicated cycling trails,
> since I like to ride fast...
>
> Thanks, Bob Please send e-mail, since I don't read this group that often....

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that Hanover was so cycling friendly. I am not sure right now
where we will end up. But odds are that it will be caroline county (not too far from Hanover).

Bob

be sure to catch the Heart of Virginia century ride this summer...gives a great tour of
Hanover County...