Riding in Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Robert Pawlak, May 7, 2003.

  1. Hi All,

    My wife and I are thinking of moving to the Richmond area. We will soon start to look for a place to
    live, and I want to select a location that has some decent rides nearby.

    So, if you could live anywhere in the Richmond environs, and:
    1. Have a decent commute to VCU (say less than 45 minutes)
    2. Be in close proximity to some decent roads for riding

    Where would it be? In an ideal world, I'd like to be near some little trafficed back roads, and have
    a choice of several decent loops of 20-50 miles. I am not a fan of dedicated cycling trails, since I
    like to ride fast...

    Thanks, Bob Please send e-mail, since I don't read this group that often....

    Tags:

  2. Bianchi2

    Bianchi2 Guest

    get in touch with the folks at RABA...Richmond Area Bicycling Association...good people. the
    Richmond area is chock full of great rides...

    btw...RABA has a website

  3. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    Ashland, a nice college town about 20 minutes north of Richmond, besides being the Center of the
    Universe, is great for cycling. The surrounding county (Hanover) has some of the nicest roads in
    the area and are well used by Richmond area cyclists. I don't know where you are moving from, but a
    45 minute commute here is pretty rare, unless you really want to live way out. I live about a mile
    and a half from VCU and can access nice roads to the North and to the East in about 20-25 minutes
    on my bike.

    [email protected] (Robert Pawlak) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My wife and I are thinking of moving to the Richmond area. We will soon start to look for a place
    > to live, and I want to select a location that has some decent rides nearby.
    >
    > So, if you could live anywhere in the Richmond environs, and:
    > 1. Have a decent commute to VCU (say less than 45 minutes)
    > 2. Be in close proximity to some decent roads for riding
    >
    > Where would it be? In an ideal world, I'd like to be near some little trafficed back roads, and
    > have a choice of several decent loops of 20-50 miles. I am not a fan of dedicated cycling trails,
    > since I like to ride fast...
    >
    > Thanks, Bob Please send e-mail, since I don't read this group that often....

  4. Thanks for the info. I was not aware that Hanover was so cycling friendly. I am not sure right now
    where we will end up. But odds are that it will be caroline county (not too far from Hanover).

    Bob

  5. Bianchi2

    Bianchi2 Guest

    be sure to catch the Heart of Virginia century ride this summer...gives a great tour of
    Hanover County...