Riding in San Diego area

Gman

Guest
I will be in SD from 14-21 June to visit some friends. We'll actually be in Carlsbad, and I plan to
hit the trails in Mountainbike Bill's recent video posting, but I also would like to go a little
bigger on one of the days. "A little bigger" being a 4-8 hr epic ride covering a fairly large
distance/elevation gain in an area that has a significant trail system.

From some cursory research, these appear to be the places to look:
- Penasquitos, San Celemente => Nice rolling canyons
- Mission Trails Park in Santee => canyons, fireroads and singletrack.
- Cuyamaca and Mt. Laguna mtn ranges (Adventure Pass) => lots

Any suggestions on what might be best for a long ride? Elevation gain, technical riding and length
do not scare me. The closer to Carlsbad the better, but the best trail system/scenery is the
higher priority.

Thx, Gman

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I will be in SD from 14-21 June to visit some friends. We'll actually be in Carlsbad, and I plan
> to hit the trails in Mountainbike Bill's recent video posting, but I also would like to go a
> little bigger on one of the days. "A little bigger" being a 4-8 hr epic ride covering a fairly
> large distance/elevation gain in an area that has a significant trail system.

Best bets: Noble Canyon to the east. San Juan Trail to north. Santa Ana River Trail to the more
north :) Bill P. (MTB Bill) lives in the North County area; sure he'll be jumping in here any
time now...

> From some cursory research, these appear to be the places to look:
> - Penasquitos, San Celemente => Nice rolling canyons
> - Mission Trails Park in Santee => canyons, fireroads and singletrack.

These are very fun areas to ride, but not "epic". Also check out Daley Ranch in Escondido for a good
16-20 miler.

> - Cuyamaca and Mt. Laguna mtn ranges (Adventure Pass) => lots

That's where you'll find your best all-day huckleberry, IMO -- anywhere from 26 to 45 miles. (And
screw the Adventure Pass; it's a ripoff. IMNSHO!)

> Any suggestions on what might be best for a long ride? Elevation gain, technical riding and length
> do not scare me. The closer to Carlsbad the better, but the best trail system/scenery is the
> higher priority.

I'd say Noble. Bill and Michael (and Miles and maybe Greg?) should chime in soon with their
thoughts...

Bill "and then there's Chip (MIA???)" S.

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I will be in SD from 14-21 June to visit some friends. We'll actually be in Carlsbad, and I plan
> to hit the trails in Mountainbike Bill's recent video posting, but I also would like to go a
> little bigger on one of the days. "A little bigger" being a 4-8 hr epic ride covering a fairly
> large distance/elevation gain in an area that has a significant trail system.
>
> From some cursory research, these appear to be the places to look:
> - Penasquitos, San Celemente => Nice rolling canyons

As Sorni already said, neither of these rank in the "epic" category. Penasquitos is fun and local,
but not what I'd thirst for when visiting San Diego. San Clemente Canyon is pretty tame as well. I
have a video of Penasquitos canyon on my website at http://www.geocities.com/mfpaul/rides.html

> - Mission Trails Park in Santee => canyons, fireroads and singletrack.

This place can be fun but it's steep in both directions. You're either going straight up or straight
down so it's pretty taxing. Again, this place is fun but not worthy of "epic" status. I also have a
video of this ride on my site.

Daley Ranch in Escondido is good but to really hit the good stuff you need to go with somebody who
knows the park. Mostly because you can connect several loops in the park to make one long ride but
if you connect them in the wrong order or go the wrong direction the ride can suck.

> - Cuyamaca and Mt. Laguna mtn ranges (Adventure Pass) => lots

The cuyamaca grand loop will fit the bill as mini-epic and East Mesa Fireroad from the Cuyamaca's
over to Indian Creek to Noble can defiantely qualify as epic (speaking from experience on a day
hotter than he!!).

Noble is a must do if you're in town for a few days. There are a variety of ways to do this ride adn
you'll be amazed by the drastic changes in geology and geography on the trail. I also have a video
of this ride on my site.

If you can drive a bit (and it's probably actually closer from C'bad than it is to Noble Canyon or
the Cuyamaca's) I'd head up north to do the San Juan Trail. 26 plus miles of fantastic singletrack.
check my video of this ride too.

> Any suggestions on what might be best for a long ride? Elevation gain, technical riding and length
> do not scare me. The closer to Carlsbad the better, but the best trail system/scenery is the
> higher priority.

I'd offer to show you the trails but wife is pregnant and according to the doctor birth is
imminent (even though it's a few weeks early) so we're anticipating next week will be the time. I
can't commit to any rides but depending on what's happening that AM I can go if all is well. So,
if I'm available I'd be happy to lead you but I might not be able to actualy commit until sort of
the last minute.

Michael

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:02:31 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I will be in SD from 14-21 June to visit some friends. We'll actually be in Carlsbad, and I plan
>> to hit the trails in Mountainbike Bill's recent video posting, but I also would like to go a
>> little bigger on one of the days. "A little bigger" being a 4-8 hr epic ride covering a fairly
>> large distance/elevation gain in an area that has a significant trail system.
>
> Best bets: Noble Canyon to the east. San Juan Trail to north. Santa Ana River Trail to the more
> north :) Bill P. (MTB Bill) lives in the North County area; sure he'll be jumping in here any
> time now...

Thanks guys, both of you seem to have the same conclusions. Noble Canyon or the San Juan trail. San
Juan is closer in distance and certainly will have less traffic (don't have to go thru SD), so that
may be the deciding factor, although I am really intrigued by Noble. Who knows, it's possible I can
get both in, but I don't want to be rude to my host.

I figure I'll head out VERY early one of the weekdays (to beat the heat) and try that 19 mile SJ
out-n-back with the loop on top (as seen on this site).
http://www.singletrackmind.com/Mountain%20Biking%20Southern%20California%20Index%20Page.htm

Thanks for the info, hopefully I will have the opportunity to put it to use!

Gman

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:02:31 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> I will be in SD from 14-21 June to visit some friends. We'll actually be in Carlsbad, and I
> >> plan to hit the trails in Mountainbike Bill's recent video posting, but I also would like to go
> >> a little bigger on one of the days. "A little bigger" being a 4-8 hr epic ride covering a
> >> fairly large distance/elevation gain in an area that has a significant trail system.
> >
> > Best bets: Noble Canyon to the east. San Juan Trail to north. Santa
Ana
> > River Trail to the more north :) Bill P. (MTB Bill) lives in the North County area; sure he'll
> > be jumping in here any time now...
> >

> Thanks guys, both of you seem to have the same conclusions. Noble Canyon or the San Juan trail.
> San Juan is closer in distance and certainly will have less traffic (don't have to go thru SD), so
> that may be the deciding factor, although I am really intrigued by Noble. Who knows, it's possible
> I can get both in, but I don't want to be rude to my host.
>
> I figure I'll head out VERY early one of the weekdays (to beat the heat) and try that 19 mile SJ
> out-n-back with the loop on top (as seen on this site).

http://www.singletrackmind.com/Mountain%20Biking%20Southern%20California%20Index%20Page.htm

Good description and nice pics of SJT. (Miles and I would definitely NOT recommend taking the "Los
Pinos" way down, however! Extremely steep, and so washed out it's almost completely unrideable.)
(Note: that's a different Los Pinos than the one listed and that JD and GT did months ago.)

San Juan is a very smooth-but-demanding trail. Wonderful payoff for long hard climb is the sweet
fast descent!

Noble, on the other hand, has a bit of everything (especially if one includes the Lagunas up top),
and is MUCH more technical than SJT.

Be sure to let us (me, Michael, Miles, MTB Bill, etc.) know what your plans are; perhaps we
can hook up!

Bill "used light drizzle as excuse for laziness today" S.

Sorni thoughtfully penned:
>> Good description and nice pics of SJT. (Miles and I would definitely
> NOT recommend taking the "Los Pinos" way down, however! Extremely steep, and so washed out it's
> almost completely unrideable.) (Note: that's a different Los Pinos than the one listed and that JD
> and GT did months ago.)
>
> San Juan is a very smooth-but-demanding trail. Wonderful payoff for long hard climb is the sweet
> fast descent!
>
> Noble, on the other hand, has a bit of everything (especially if one includes the Lagunas up top),
> and is MUCH more technical than SJT.
>
> Be sure to let us (me, Michael, Miles, MTB Bill, etc.) know what your plans are; perhaps we can
> hook up!
>
> Bill "used light drizzle as excuse for laziness today" S.

not top posted? Did you get that fixed?

> Sorni thoughtfully penned:
> >> Good description and nice pics of SJT. (Miles and I would definitely
> > NOT recommend taking the "Los Pinos" way down, however! Extremely steep, and so washed out it's
> > almost completely unrideable.) (Note: that's a different Los Pinos than the one listed and that
> > JD and GT did months ago.)
> >
> > San Juan is a very smooth-but-demanding trail. Wonderful payoff for long hard climb is the sweet
> > fast descent!
> >
> > Noble, on the other hand, has a bit of everything (especially if one includes the Lagunas up
> > top), and is MUCH more technical than SJT.
> >
> > Be sure to let us (me, Michael, Miles, MTB Bill, etc.) know what your plans are; perhaps we can
> > hook up!
> >
> > Bill "used light drizzle as excuse for laziness today" S.
>
> not top posted? Did you get that fixed?

It's only my e-mail that makes it hard to tell quoted material from new text (UNLESS I top-post, or
"top REPLY" to be more accurate). The newsgroups' format actually works much easier/more clearly;
just have to position cursor below stuff (after trimming, of course :)

Bill "think it's a HTML thing, whatever the hell THAT is" S.

>> Good description and nice pics of SJT. (Miles and I would definitely NOT
> recommend taking the "Los Pinos" way down, however! Extremely steep, and
so
> washed out it's almost completely unrideable.) (Note: that's a different Los Pinos than the one
> listed and that JD and GT did months ago.)

Well of course it's a different Los Pinos. The one that J.D. and G.T. did is Mt. Pinos!

> Bill "used light drizzle as excuse for laziness today" S.

"Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> Good description and nice pics of SJT. (Miles and I would definitely
NOT
> > recommend taking the "Los Pinos" way down, however! Extremely steep,
and
> so
> > washed out it's almost completely unrideable.) (Note: that's a
different
> > Los Pinos than the one listed and that JD and GT did months ago.)
> >

> Well of course it's a different Los Pinos. The one that J.D. and G.T. did is Mt. Pinos!

Don't confuse me with facts, dammit!

Bill "go ride ANY Pinos and then you can talk" S.