Riding in Silver City NM

GAJ

New Member
Sep 24, 2003
A few of us from Alberta Canada are planning a trip to the Silver City area a couple of weeks prior to the Gila SR. No one has been to NM before, we've ridden in Tuscon, and are looking for some riding/training suggestions.

Thanks.

"GAJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> A few of us from Alberta Canada are planning a trip to the Silver City area a couple of weeks
> prior to the Gila SR. No one has been to NM before, we've ridden in Tuscon, and are looking for
> some riding/training suggestions.

Well there ain't that many roads, so one would think your choices are pretty much made for you - Go
north, or east, or west, or south. The are basically 4 roads out of town.

The terrain north of town is into the Nat'l Forest and is much hillier then south into the desert.
Essentially all routes south will make you come back uphill on the return. The stuff north and east
will be much hillier with some long steep rollers. West on 180 takes you down (eventually) to the
Gila River Basin. Most stuff is out and back for as far as you want to go, excepting the
15/35/162/180 loop which is part of the tour.

Rt 15 north to the cliff dwellings gets a bit more traffic as does 180 west and north, but depending
on time of year (April ?) nothing around therE gets really busy.

Some contacts to call for better info.

Gila Hike & Bike 103 East College Avenue, Silver City, NM 88061
(505) 388-3222

Twin Sisters Cycling and Fitness 303 North Bullard Street, Silver City, NM 88061
(506) 538-3388

SB