Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Riding in snow, it's cold.

Started by Kingsley · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,119 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
6 March 2008
Last activity
7 March 2008
Original author
Kingsley
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,119
Views / 30 days
15

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi-ho,

    Ok, so I've been offline for a while, 'cause I moved to Switzerland.

    Anyway, I rode to work yesterday in some unseasonally late snow,
    (actually I don't know if it's unseasonal or not, but hey, it's Spring).

    I was very excited at first, I've only been in "falling" snow once before
    when I was kid, and (in my limited experience) it seem to be snowing
    really heavily. Riding on the trike it was all piling up on my belly,
    but it was easily brushed off though. The big problem was that snow
    really stings when it gets in your eyes! Next time I'll wear the
    sunglasses with the clear lenses (so they *are* good for something), but
    I think by the time I got to work my face would have frozen in a
    permanent squint.

    The other problem was that about 2km out from work, the p*ncture f*iry
    paid me a visit. There was nothing for it but to push the trike the last
    little bit, I guess I could have fixed it right there on the bike-path,
    but I um, sort of, didn't bring a p*ncture repair kit, or tyre levers...
    or a pump. By the time I'd trudged to work, all the snow had stuck to me
    and piled up on my "knob-head" brand beanie, must have looked like some
    kind of yeti blown down from the hills. It was keenly aparent that *I*
    was the only one riding/walking to work today. Maybe I've broken some
    other cultural taboo, perhaps you're not supposed to walk in the snow to
    work.

    The sun came out a bit later, melted all the snow by lunchtime. I
    managed to get some tyre-levers and repair-kit from the shop across the
    street from work, but I had to beg the fishwife to bring me in a pump.

    Anyway, that's about it from my end.

    cheersbigears,
    -kt

    PS> we've updated our warm-showers entry, if anyone's interested.

  2. Hey

    In article <[email hidden]>, Kingsley

    Quoted message said:

    really heavily. Riding on the trike it was all piling up on my belly,

    what's the trike?

    I'm an Aussie in Finland, and with the slippery stuff on transition from snow
    to water n back to freezing again, I'm thinkin seriously of a bent...

    weather here suks too

    See Ya
    (when bandwidth gets better ;-)

    Chris Eastwood
    Photographer, Programmer
    Motorcyclist and dingbat

    please remove undies for reply

  3. Kingsley said:

    Hi-ho,

    Ok, so I've been offline for a while, 'cause I moved to Switzerland.

    Anyway, I rode to work yesterday in some unseasonally late snow,
    (actually I don't know if it's unseasonal or not, but hey, it's Spring).

    I was very excited at first, I've only been in "falling" snow once before
    when I was kid, and (in my limited experience) it seem to be snowing
    really heavily. Riding on the trike it was all piling up on my belly,
    but it was easily brushed off though. The big problem was that snow
    really stings when it gets in your eyes! Next time I'll wear the
    sunglasses with the clear lenses (so they *are* good for something), but
    I think by the time I got to work my face would have frozen in a
    permanent squint.

    The other problem was that about 2km out from work, the p*ncture f*iry
    paid me a visit. There was nothing for it but to push the trike the last
    little bit, I guess I could have fixed it right there on the bike-path,
    but I um, sort of, didn't bring a p*ncture repair kit, or tyre levers...
    or a pump. By the time I'd trudged to work, all the snow had stuck to me
    and piled up on my "knob-head" brand beanie, must have looked like some
    kind of yeti blown down from the hills. It was keenly aparent that *I*
    was the only one riding/walking to work today. Maybe I've broken some
    other cultural taboo, perhaps you're not supposed to walk in the snow to
    work.

    The sun came out a bit later, melted all the snow by lunchtime. I
    managed to get some tyre-levers and repair-kit from the shop across the
    street from work, but I had to beg the fishwife to bring me in a pump.

    Anyway, that's about it from my end.

    cheersbigears,
    -kt

    PS> we've updated our warm-showers entry, if anyone's interested.

    Sounds like you need a fatty ;-)

    http://bp0.blogger.com/_x3-e9iiQqHo/R7kRGGGx14I/AAAAAAAAA8o/yS2OOqev-5w/s1600-h/attachment.jpg

  4. Quoted message said:
    Kingsley said:

    Hi-ho,

    Ok, so I've been offline for a while, 'cause I moved to Switzerland.

    Anyway, I rode to work yesterday in some unseasonally late snow,
    (actually I don't know if it's unseasonal or not, but hey, it's Spring).

    I was very excited at first, I've only been in "falling" snow once before
    when I was kid, and (in my limited experience) it seem to be snowing
    really heavily. Riding on the trike it was all piling up on my belly,
    but it was easily brushed off though. The big problem was that snow
    really stings when it gets in your eyes! Next time I'll wear the
    sunglasses with the clear lenses (so they *are* good for something), but
    I think by the time I got to work my face would have frozen in a
    permanent squint.

    The other problem was that about 2km out from work, the p*ncture f*iry
    paid me a visit. There was nothing for it but to push the trike the last
    little bit, I guess I could have fixed it right there on the bike-path,
    but I um, sort of, didn't bring a p*ncture repair kit, or tyre levers...
    or a pump. By the time I'd trudged to work, all the snow had stuck to me
    and piled up on my "knob-head" brand beanie, must have looked like some
    kind of yeti blown down from the hills. It was keenly aparent that *I*
    was the only one riding/walking to work today. Maybe I've broken some
    other cultural taboo, perhaps you're not supposed to walk in the snow to
    work.

    The sun came out a bit later, melted all the snow by lunchtime. I
    managed to get some tyre-levers and repair-kit from the shop across the
    street from work, but I had to beg the fishwife to bring me in a pump.

    Anyway, that's about it from my end.

    cheersbigears,
    -kt

    PS> we've updated our warm-showers entry, if anyone's interested.

    Sounds like you need a fatty ;-)

    http://bp0.blogger.com/_x3-e9iiQqHo/R7kRGGGx14I/AAAAAAAAA8o/yS2OOqev-5w/s1600-h/attachment.jpg


    I had a very pleasant cycling tour in Switzerland a couple of years ago.
    Rode from Italy to Lac Leman. It was just after the floods but of course
    had everything more or less back to normal. wonderful cycling facilities
    both on road and cycle tracks and of course on trains.
    By cunning use of the trains you did not even notice the mountains.
    --
    Remove norubbish to reply

  5. obakesan said:

    Hey

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    really heavily. Riding on the trike it was all piling up on my belly,

    what's the trike?

    Greenspeed GT5.

    I thought I bought some kevlar-wound tyres before I left, I'll have to go
    check in the cellar.

    -kt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.