Riding in snow, it's cold.

Kingsley

Guest
Hi-ho,

Ok, so I've been offline for a while, 'cause I moved to Switzerland.

Anyway, I rode to work yesterday in some unseasonally late snow,
(actually I don't know if it's unseasonal or not, but hey, it's Spring).

I was very excited at first, I've only been in "falling" snow once before
when I was kid, and (in my limited experience) it seem to be snowing
really heavily. Riding on the trike it was all piling up on my belly,
but it was easily brushed off though. The big problem was that snow
really stings when it gets in your eyes! Next time I'll wear the
sunglasses with the clear lenses (so they *are* good for something), but
I think by the time I got to work my face would have frozen in a
permanent squint.

The other problem was that about 2km out from work, the p*ncture f*iry
paid me a visit. There was nothing for it but to push the trike the last
little bit, I guess I could have fixed it right there on the bike-path,
but I um, sort of, didn't bring a p*ncture repair kit, or tyre levers...
or a pump. By the time I'd trudged to work, all the snow had stuck to me
and piled up on my "knob-head" brand beanie, must have looked like some
kind of yeti blown down from the hills. It was keenly aparent that *I*
was the only one riding/walking to work today. Maybe I've broken some
other cultural taboo, perhaps you're not supposed to walk in the snow to
work.

The sun came out a bit later, melted all the snow by lunchtime. I
managed to get some tyre-levers and repair-kit from the shop across the
street from work, but I had to beg the fishwife to bring me in a pump.

Anyway, that's about it from my end.

cheersbigears,
-kt

PS> we've updated our warm-showers entry, if anyone's interested.

Hey

In article <[email protected]>, Kingsley
<[email protected]> wrote:

>really heavily. Riding on the trike it was all piling up on my belly,

what's the trike?

I'm an Aussie in Finland, and with the slippery stuff on transition from snow
to water n back to freezing again, I'm thinkin seriously of a bent...

weather here suks too

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply

On Mar 7, 4:48 am, Kingsley
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi-ho,
>
> Ok, so I've been offline for a while, 'cause I moved to Switzerland.
>
> Anyway, I rode to work yesterday in some unseasonally late snow,
> (actually I don't know if it's unseasonal or not, but hey, it's Spring).
>
> I was very excited at first, I've only been in "falling" snow once before
> when I was kid, and (in my limited experience) it seem to be snowing
> really heavily. Riding on the trike it was all piling up on my belly,
> but it was easily brushed off though. The big problem was that snow
> really stings when it gets in your eyes! Next time I'll wear the
> sunglasses with the clear lenses (so they *are* good for something), but
> I think by the time I got to work my face would have frozen in a
> permanent squint.
>
> The other problem was that about 2km out from work, the p*ncture f*iry
> paid me a visit. There was nothing for it but to push the trike the last
> little bit, I guess I could have fixed it right there on the bike-path,
> but I um, sort of, didn't bring a p*ncture repair kit, or tyre levers...
> or a pump. By the time I'd trudged to work, all the snow had stuck to me
> and piled up on my "knob-head" brand beanie, must have looked like some
> kind of yeti blown down from the hills. It was keenly aparent that *I*
> was the only one riding/walking to work today. Maybe I've broken some
> other cultural taboo, perhaps you're not supposed to walk in the snow to
> work.
>
> The sun came out a bit later, melted all the snow by lunchtime. I
> managed to get some tyre-levers and repair-kit from the shop across the
> street from work, but I had to beg the fishwife to bring me in a pump.
>
> Anyway, that's about it from my end.
>
> cheersbigears,
> -kt
>
> PS> we've updated our warm-showers entry, if anyone's interested.

Sounds like you need a fatty ;-)

http://bp0.blogger.com/_x3-e9iiQqHo/R7kRGGGx14I/AAAAAAAAA8o/yS2OOqev-5w/s1600-h/attachment.jpg

[email protected] wrote:

> On Mar 7, 4:48 am, Kingsley
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Hi-ho,
>>
>>Ok, so I've been offline for a while, 'cause I moved to Switzerland.
>>
>>Anyway, I rode to work yesterday in some unseasonally late snow,
>>(actually I don't know if it's unseasonal or not, but hey, it's Spring).
>>
>>I was very excited at first, I've only been in "falling" snow once before
>>when I was kid, and (in my limited experience) it seem to be snowing
>>really heavily. Riding on the trike it was all piling up on my belly,
>>but it was easily brushed off though. The big problem was that snow
>>really stings when it gets in your eyes! Next time I'll wear the
>>sunglasses with the clear lenses (so they *are* good for something), but
>>I think by the time I got to work my face would have frozen in a
>>permanent squint.
>>
>>The other problem was that about 2km out from work, the p*ncture f*iry
>>paid me a visit. There was nothing for it but to push the trike the last
>>little bit, I guess I could have fixed it right there on the bike-path,
>>but I um, sort of, didn't bring a p*ncture repair kit, or tyre levers...
>>or a pump. By the time I'd trudged to work, all the snow had stuck to me
>>and piled up on my "knob-head" brand beanie, must have looked like some
>>kind of yeti blown down from the hills. It was keenly aparent that *I*
>>was the only one riding/walking to work today. Maybe I've broken some
>>other cultural taboo, perhaps you're not supposed to walk in the snow to
>>work.
>>
>>The sun came out a bit later, melted all the snow by lunchtime. I
>>managed to get some tyre-levers and repair-kit from the shop across the
>>street from work, but I had to beg the fishwife to bring me in a pump.
>>
>>Anyway, that's about it from my end.
>>
>>cheersbigears,
>>-kt
>>
>>PS> we've updated our warm-showers entry, if anyone's interested.

> Sounds like you need a fatty ;-)
>
> http://bp0.blogger.com/_x3-e9iiQqHo/R7kRGGGx14I/AAAAAAAAA8o/yS2OOqev-5w/s1600-h/attachment.jpg

I had a very pleasant cycling tour in Switzerland a couple of years ago.
Rode from Italy to Lac Leman. It was just after the floods but of course
had everything more or less back to normal. wonderful cycling facilities
both on road and cycle tracks and of course on trains.
By cunning use of the trains you did not even notice the mountains.
--
Remove norubbish to reply

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:48:10 +0000, obakesan wrote:

> Hey

>>really heavily. Riding on the trike it was all piling up on my belly,

> what's the trike?

Greenspeed GT5.

I thought I bought some kevlar-wound tyres before I left, I'll have to go
check in the cellar.

-kt