riding in snow

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Al Kubeluis, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    hi bikers,

    what type of snow conditions do you ride in?

    avoid?

    al

    Tags:

  2. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Al Kubeluis wrote:
    > hi bikers,
    >
    > what type of snow conditions do you ride in?
    >
    > avoid?
    >
    > al

    Yes, avoid.

  3. Al Kubeluis <[email protected]> wrote let it be known in
    news:[email protected]:

    > hi bikers,
    >
    > what type of snow conditions do you ride in?
    >
    > avoid?
    >
    > al

    We get all kinds here in Vermont. I ride all winter. The only
    things I consider unrideable are deep unpacked powder (anything
    over 6") and glare ice (I don't have studs).

    The BEST snow conditions are trails that have been packed by
    snowmobiles. They can be unbelievably fast, but it is very
    important to learn to stay in the middle. :)

    The worst (other than the deep powder mentioned above) is snow
    that has been packed, broken up then refrozen. It can make for
    some very technical and slow riding.

    --
    Curt Bousquet

    Road & Mtn biking in Southern VT and Western Mass.

    My 2005 bike log:
    http://www.scanline.com/bikelog/2005.html

  4. I avoid heavy, wet snow. I've never had anything sap my energy faster
    then that type of snow riding. Riding is great (traction wise) when
    the snow is hard packed and you have the right tire combination. It is
    also great with just a inch or two of freshly fallen snow.

  5. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I avoid heavy, wet snow. I've never had anything sap my energy faster
    > then that type of snow riding. Riding is great (traction wise) when
    > the snow is hard packed and you have the right tire combination. It is
    > also great with just a inch or two of freshly fallen snow.

    Curt, Scottie,

    Thanks for info.

    I just got back from a very nice 5 mile ride in 3" fresh snow. Although
    I bike quite a bit, I just started mountain biking and really love it. A
    regular bike does not cut it in snow.Crunching along in the snow was fun.

    And yes, ice hidden under snow is bad. I was running on snow years ago
    and went flying and crashing when I stepped onto ice covered snow.

    I have Velociraptor 47/52 (47-559) 35-60 psi tires on my Giant Yukon set
    to 45 psi.What pressures have you found to be effective in snow?

    Al

  6. It's funny you mentioned the Velociraptors, because that's what I use.
    I usually run 40-45psi also.

  7. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > hi bikers,
    >
    > what type of snow conditions do you ride in?
    >
    > avoid?
    >
    > al

    Ones where there's hardened steel spikes in the snow, attached at the other
    end to my tyres - HTH! ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - Home made ice-tyres work pretty well yaknow.

  8. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It's funny you mentioned the Velociraptors, because that's what I use.
    > I usually run 40-45psi also.

    What a coinkidink

  9. Curt Bousquet <[email protected]> wrote let it be
    known in news:[email protected]:

    > Al Kubeluis <[email protected]> wrote let it be known
    > in news:[email protected]:

    >> what type of snow conditions do you ride in?

    > We get all kinds here in Vermont. I ride all winter. The
    > only things I consider unrideable are deep unpacked powder
    > (anything over 6") and glare ice (I don't have studs).

    BTW: Here is a pic. of what we consider 'great' winter riding
    conditions up here. I think it was about 10 degrees F that day:

    <http://www.bikes-unlimited.com/bike/2004/Misc/slides/Img_
    0433.jpg>

  10. bri719

    bri719 Guest

    Al Kubeluis wrote:

    > hi bikers,
    >
    > what type of snow conditions do you ride in?

    a few inches of dry snow = cool

    wet slush ... yuk, no thanks.

    --

    * enjoying the karma *
    remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

  11. Well most of the time its white and wet. But at 5am
    today it was white,dry,and flakey. No yellow snow here.

  12. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Al Kubeluis wrote:
    > hi bikers,
    >
    > what type of snow conditions do you ride in?
    >
    > avoid?
    >
    > al

    I'd ride in/on snow that's either not deep enough to ski or to
    hardpacked to make skiing fun. Otherwise I'd just ski.

    Seven feet of powder is generally too much to ride in.

    Matt

  13. RexelLP10

    RexelLP10 Guest

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > hi bikers,
    >
    > what type of snow conditions do you ride in?
    >
    > avoid?
    >
    > al

    Al....I hate you already.