riding in snow

Al Kubeluis

Guest
hi bikers,

what type of snow conditions do you ride in?

avoid?

al

Al Kubeluis wrote:
> hi bikers,
>
> what type of snow conditions do you ride in?
>
> avoid?
>
> al

Yes, avoid.

Al Kubeluis <[email protected]> wrote let it be known in
news:[email protected]:

> hi bikers,
>
> what type of snow conditions do you ride in?
>
> avoid?
>
> al

We get all kinds here in Vermont. I ride all winter. The only
things I consider unrideable are deep unpacked powder (anything
over 6") and glare ice (I don't have studs).

The BEST snow conditions are trails that have been packed by
snowmobiles. They can be unbelievably fast, but it is very
important to learn to stay in the middle. :)

The worst (other than the deep powder mentioned above) is snow
that has been packed, broken up then refrozen. It can make for
some very technical and slow riding.

--
Curt Bousquet

Road & Mtn biking in Southern VT and Western Mass.

My 2005 bike log:
http://www.scanline.com/bikelog/2005.html

I avoid heavy, wet snow. I've never had anything sap my energy faster
then that type of snow riding. Riding is great (traction wise) when
the snow is hard packed and you have the right tire combination. It is
also great with just a inch or two of freshly fallen snow.

[email protected] wrote:
> I avoid heavy, wet snow. I've never had anything sap my energy faster
> then that type of snow riding. Riding is great (traction wise) when
> the snow is hard packed and you have the right tire combination. It is
> also great with just a inch or two of freshly fallen snow.

Curt, Scottie,

Thanks for info.

I just got back from a very nice 5 mile ride in 3" fresh snow. Although
I bike quite a bit, I just started mountain biking and really love it. A
regular bike does not cut it in snow.Crunching along in the snow was fun.

And yes, ice hidden under snow is bad. I was running on snow years ago
and went flying and crashing when I stepped onto ice covered snow.

I have Velociraptor 47/52 (47-559) 35-60 psi tires on my Giant Yukon set
to 45 psi.What pressures have you found to be effective in snow?

Al

"Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi bikers,
>
> what type of snow conditions do you ride in?
>
> avoid?
>
> al

Ones where there's hardened steel spikes in the snow, attached at the other
end to my tyres - HTH! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Home made ice-tyres work pretty well yaknow.

Curt Bousquet <[email protected]> wrote let it be
known in news:[email protected]:

> Al Kubeluis <[email protected]> wrote let it be known
> in news:[email protected]:

>> what type of snow conditions do you ride in?

> We get all kinds here in Vermont. I ride all winter. The
> only things I consider unrideable are deep unpacked powder
> (anything over 6") and glare ice (I don't have studs).

BTW: Here is a pic. of what we consider 'great' winter riding
conditions up here. I think it was about 10 degrees F that day:

<http://www.bikes-unlimited.com/bike/2004/Misc/slides/Img_
0433.jpg>

Al Kubeluis wrote:

> hi bikers,
>
> what type of snow conditions do you ride in?

a few inches of dry snow = cool

wet slush ... yuk, no thanks.

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Al Kubeluis wrote:
> hi bikers,
>
> what type of snow conditions do you ride in?
>
> avoid?
>
> al

I'd ride in/on snow that's either not deep enough to ski or to
hardpacked to make skiing fun. Otherwise I'd just ski.

Seven feet of powder is generally too much to ride in.

Matt