Riding In Tandem With A Child

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
In the suburbs here, getting popular is the riding with a child particularly during weekdays when the parent is bringing his child to school. I have not read of statistics yet but I'm sure bikers with children at the back have been involved in accidents. And not only fathers are doing that, I had some some female riders, presumably the mother, with not just one but 2 children in tow - one in the back and one in front.

I've also seen a few cyclists riding with a child like this, and while to me it doesn't look safe and its not something I'd do, I'd imagine that a parent wouldn't deliberately endanger their child?

I'd be interested also in knowing what if any statistics there is on this, and also the legality of it aswell.

The only statistics available are for motorcycle accidents but non for bikers because most accidents involving bikes are not reported anymore since often they are minor in nature. But there is one that I had seen in a tv news report where the bike was hit by a small truck and the child was pressed between the small truck and another vehicle. The adult driving the bike was thrown off a few meters and sadly the child perished in that accident.

And I think that's part of the problem and why people don't associate riding a bike with being dangerous.

Many countries don't record bicycle accidents or even fatalities, as they are few and far between. That doesn't mean to say they don't happen though, and people should be aware of what dangers are out there.

My dad used to have me on his bike while riding. It was a nice bonding with my dad during my growing up.
I have seen that quite often in my home town and it is very nice. I am sure if someone is being careful about how he or she rides a bike, no matter if they are having a child with them, or cycling next to them, will be any problem. Just be safe and make sure you teach your kid all about safety before you let them cycle with you or just have them with you.

mayasupernova said:
My dad used to have me on his bike while riding. It was a nice bonding with my dad during my growing up.
I have seen that quite often in my home town and it is very nice. I am sure if someone is being careful about how he or she rides a bike, no matter if they are having a child with them, or cycling next to them, will be any problem. Just be safe and make sure you teach your kid all about safety before you let them cycle with you or just have them with you.
You may be talking of the olden days when traffic was always light. I have some friends who were brought by the parents to school on a bike. And I see nothing wrong with that. But I'm talking about the olden times and not at this time when the traffic is unbearably heavy most of the time and the vehicles are too many with reckless drivers to boot. Accidents are just waiting to happen whether you are on a motorcycle or on a bike. My husband is collecting photos of 2-wheels on the road particularly those riding in tandem.

I'm inclined to agree and a few years ago, or even cycling out of town now, there isn't much of a safety issue but in cities when there's a lot of traffic around, it's simply not worth taking that risk in my opinion.

Even in the suburbs it is still risky to take your kids with you riding a bike without the proper gear. In the past it looks quite fun and romantic riding in tandem but today we can not afford to be careless. It should be safety first

This can be risky when riding through the more busier streets, but on a nice bike path, I don't see why it would be a problem. I rode a tandem bike with my girlfriend once. That was... An experience. I don't think we caused any danger though. Well aside for ourselves.

I really think the parents should ensure the kids' safety by getting them the proper gears. Maybe the bike is the only way to get their kids to school so I wouldn't forbid them. Just ensure safety procedures are upheld

I'm not sure I entirely understand what you mean by riding in tandem. Like an actual tandem bike with two seats, or a regular bike with the kid hanging onto their parents? Either way sounds risky to me in a place with heavy traffic, but I sympathize with parents who have no other way to get their kids to school...it's a tough situation.

I think the safest option is probably those child seats that can be securely fastened to the bike, and which come with straps and safety belts, or the little enclosed trailers that hook onto the back.

You can only ride with a child that you are sure he/she will not be playing while at the back. It will be dangerous if they keep playing while you are riding. If you see that you are risking then better avoid the practice.

I also see this incident a lot, where kids are riding with their mom or dad on bikes. They are just there either on the front sitting on the metal or on the back sitting as well or standing up. I think it's okay for short distances because most of these parents are just bringing their kids to nearby schools. But when you do this in busier roads, it's actually risky. Unfortunately, we do not have those shops that sell seats with belts for bikes. I've actually seen those in YouTube and wanted to use one but we can't find it here.

One time I saw child twins riding with a tandem bike, very amusing. It could be a really stimulating experience for the visually impaired children or adults to ride with sighted people leading them. I never witnessed and accident, because is quite expected that an adult should ride more carefully in tandem with children.

Cycling can be risky enough, especially in a town or city so riding with children would double the risk.

Before a certain age, I'd probably recommend not riding with children apart from in rural areas, not until they at least get their own sense of road safety anyway.

There was this incident last week when a cop accosted a biker who had 2 kids with him. One kid was riding in front of the rider and the other at the back seat. The cop reprimanded the man, presumably the father, who said that he has no money for jeepney fare so he uses the bike to bring his children to school. And even if there is a law against riding in tandem with children, how can you argue with that? The financial issue is a good alibi that is difficult to dispute.

In my country it's very common to bring your kids to school on a bike and nearly all the high school kids go to school by bike. Then again it's a small country and we have bike lanes and laws. But in order to get there this needs to be promoted on many levels. It's a cheap, healthy and environment friendly way of traveling. It's quite safe as well, most accidents happen because the cyclist ignores a red light or makes a risky move.

It looks like a lot of fun, but it does look dangerous. I've fallen too many times to feel comfortable having a child riding with me. It would have to be in a park on a trail where I know I'm not going to face any potential obstacles.