Riding in Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
> Anyone for a monster 2000km ride in Thailand next year. Email me for details. [email protected]
>
>
>
> --
> ianf
>
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com
>
from http://search.bangkokpost.co.th/bkkpost/2003/feb2003/bp20030214/news/14Fe b2003_news23.html

"Thailand has the highest rate of road fatalities in the world at 40 deaths for every 100,000
people, or 2.9 people dying an hour, a researcher said yesterday."

That's about 25,000 traffic deaths per year.

"Another six million people were injured in traffic accidents and 100,000 crippled for life last
year, according to the National Health Institute."

Be careful and Good Luck.

(Now I'd better not be racist and start worying about them driving here in Australia.)

--
Mark Lee

>
> "Thailand has the highest rate of road fatalities in the world at 40 deaths for every 100,000
> people, or 2.9 people dying an hour, a researcher said yesterday."
>
> That's about 25,000 traffic deaths per year.
>
> "Another six million people were injured in traffic accidents and 100,000 crippled for life last
> year, according to the National Health Institute."
>
> Be careful and Good Luck.
>
> (Now I'd better not be racist and start worying about them driving here in Australia.)
>
> --
> Mark Lee

That wouldnt be a dig at Jose would it?

Server:

> from http://search.bangkokpost.co.th/bkkpost/2003/feb2003/bp20030214/news/14Fe b2003_news23.html
>
> "Thailand has the highest rate of road fatalities in the world at 40 deaths for every 100,000
> people, or 2.9 people dying an hour, a researcher said yesterday."
>
> That's about 25,000 traffic deaths per year.
>
> "Another six million people were injured in traffic accidents and 100,000 crippled for life last
> year, according to the National Health Institute."
>
> Be careful and Good Luck.
>
> (Now I'd better not be racist and start worying about them driving here in Australia.)
>

No, you just need to use your brain and ask the obvious questions: how are the fatalities incurred,
who gets killed and what are the circumstances. Statistics taken out of context like you've done and
paranoia extrapolated from that is plain stupid.

From the article:
"Dr Paibul said the government could start with tougher action for drink-driving, motorcyclists who
fail to wear crash helmets, and motorists who drive without seatbelts.

Research had shown that if 95% of motorcyclists wore crash helmets, fatalities from motorbikes would
fall 38%, while car deaths would fall 45% if motorists wore their seatbelts."

In other words, many motorcycle riders and car drivers kill themselves in Thailand, not other
people. But a telling statement which you conveniently ignored:

"The government's failure to maintain roads and highways was to blame for many accidents.

Dr Somsak hoped that one day Thai people would be able to sue the government."

In other words, poor road conditions cause many of the accidents.

So you are right. You had better not be racist and start worrying about them driving here in
Australia.

Jose told me:
>
> No, you just need to use your brain and ask the obvious questions: how are the fatalities
> incurred, who gets killed and what are the circumstances. Statistics taken out of context like
> you've done and paranoia extrapolated from that is plain stupid.
>
> From the article:
> *****
> "Dr Paibul said the government could start with tougher action for drink-driving, motorcyclists
> who fail to wear crash helmets, and motorists who drive without seatbelts.
>
> Research had shown that if 95% of motorcyclists wore crash helmets, fatalities from motorbikes
> would fall 38%, while car deaths would fall 45% if motorists wore their seatbelts."
> *****
>
> In other words, many motorcycle riders and car drivers kill themselves in Thailand, not other
> people. But a telling statement which you conveniently ignored:
>
> *****
> "The government's failure to maintain roads and highways was to blame for many accidents.
>
> Dr Somsak hoped that one day Thai people would be able to sue the government."
> *****
>
> In other words, poor road conditions cause many of the accidents.

Okay, so drunk, beltless drivers and helmetless motorcyclists are careering around crappy roads. The
roads did it. Naughty roads!

Methinks some decades of driver education, along with roadworks are required to make Thai roads a
safer place (for me).

I have no objection to you cycling there, of course. Keep the insults flying, brave warrior of
the internet.
--
Mark Lee

In article <BBD7F22C.C23%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> As far as from my experience, motorized drivers there respects cyclists more compared to here..
> And if I'm not mistaken, you will be automatically be at fault if you hit ped or cyclist... Very
> safe to cycle...
>
> I live 10km from thai border, in malaysia.
>
Thanks, Mat Interesting to hear motorists respect cyclists more. Here in Australia, many motorists
do not respect cyclists at all. But I did just read some figures putting cycle fatalities in
collisions with trucks and buses at 50% higher in Thailand than Australia - I couldn't work out if
that was 50% more of those that are hit or 50% more per 100.000 population. It didn't seem a large
difference, anyhoo (for those who were missed). I'm sure Jose will research it and start namecalling
soon enough. ;^) Mark Lee

> In article <BBD7F22C.C23%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>> As far as from my experience, motorized drivers there respects cyclists more compared to here..
>> And if I'm not mistaken, you will be automatically be at fault if you hit ped or cyclist... Very
>> safe to cycle...
>>
>> I live 10km from thai border, in malaysia.

Correction, about 2 months ago I was in malaysia, but now I am now in sydney Email me if you are
planning to do malaysia

> Thanks, Mat Interesting to hear motorists respect cyclists more. Here in Australia, many motorists
> do not respect cyclists at all. But I did just read some figures putting cycle fatalities in
> collisions with trucks and buses at 50% higher in Thailand than Australia - I couldn't work out if
> that was 50% more of those that are hit or 50% more per 100.000 population. It didn't seem a large
> difference, anyhoo (for those who were missed). I'm sure Jose will research it and start
> namecalling soon enough. ;^) Mark Lee

The truth is, if I wanted to cycle in thai, road safety is the least I would worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.