Riding in the cold

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David Sommervil, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Hello all: I really don't know what all the fuss has been about lately focused on the weather.
    Winter is cold. We all know that, so just deal with
    it. No big deal.

    For instance, on Sat, I went to the George Washington Bridge to ride with the gang. I figured the
    ride up through Brooklyn would be a nice warm up. I also took time to properly prepare for the ride.
    Given all the talk of cayenne pepper to "spice up" cold weather rides, I decided to go one further.
    First, I stripped down and lubed up with olive oil.

    Given the fear of Vaseline eating away my lycra while riding, I thought a natural oil would be
    safer (and tastier). While I realize southwestern cuisine provides much heat in its intrinsic
    spices, I decided to for go the haberno chilies and go more Mediterranean. I was looking for more
    of a mellow warming, so I rubbed down with garlic and rosemary - good for both blood pressure and
    the skin as well.

    Next, I was faced with a choice of the latest technical wear or a plastic bag as my base layer. Then
    it hit me, why not go with aluminum foil! It should reflect my internal heat back in! Just to be on
    the safe side, I put a trash bag over the foil. Cold weather be damned, I was heating up just
    getting dressed!

    With all this layering and basting fluid, all I needed was shorts and knee warmers. Fortunately,
    I picked up my new Kissena wool socks from Brian the week before, so my toes were toasty too!
    (You to can have your own Kissena socks made by Defeet. They come in regular Aireators and
    Wooleatoers. Sized M & L. $7 & $8 respectively. Supplies are limited, so act fast. This has been
    an unpaid message.)

    To cover my head, I decided to go natural - that's right ice berg lettuce. It is thin, can be
    layered and was surprisingly warm. Additionally, it provides a nice snack as you ride along. If you
    get too warm, no problem, just peel off a layer and chew, no waste or litter. Of course I covered
    everything in my Kissena thermal jacket and was ready to roll.

    Then I don't know what happened. When I got to the bridge, no on was there! Were you guys on the NY
    or NJ side? I know I was running a little late, what with three flats along the bike path, but I
    only stopped to change one since everytime I got off the bike for the repair, packs of wild dogs
    started coming after me. I didn't know dogs like garlic so much!

    Anyhow, I still had a good ride. And the doctors said I should regain the use of my fingers again.
    As far as the toes go, who needs all ten anyway.

    One last thing, I don't recommend slipping one of those heat packs down the front of your shorts.
    The chafing can get a little harsh, if you know what I mean. (Found out the hard way.)

    See you all out there next weekend!

    Davis Hammerville

    By the way, the drippings collect nicely in the foil layer and you can use them as a nice marinate
    for steak when you get home. Mmmm...

    ------
    Got this note from Davis Hammerville today. Seems he is also preparing right for the upcoming 2003
    season as a Pro on a local Div III team.
    --
    David Sommerville http://davidsommerville.com

    Tags:

  2. Dave Hansen

    Dave Hansen Guest

    "David Sommerville" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all: I really don't know what all the fuss has been about lately focused on the weather.
    > Winter is cold. We all know that, so just deal with
    > it. No big deal.

    Here in SoCal it was a brisk 70 deg along the coast Dave

  3. "David Sommerville" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all: I really don't know what all the fuss has been about lately focused on the weather.
    > Winter is cold. We all know that, so just deal with
    > it. No big deal.

    I understand us europeans have a lot to learn from y'all.

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre

  4. Garry Allen

    Garry Allen Guest

    warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<190120031133455038%[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dave Hansen
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "David Sommerville" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hello all: I really don't know what all the fuss has been about lately focused on the weather.
    > > > Winter is cold. We all know that, so just deal with
    > > > it. No big deal.
    > >
    > > Here in SoCal it was a brisk 70 deg along the coast Dave
    >
    > Lets hope the weather improves soon so you can get in some rides.
    >
    > -WG

    Here in Sydney it was a warm 39 on the coast and 44 inland on Saturday. Very pleasant weather. In
    Adelaide today it was supposed to be 39 - good preparation for doing the Old Willunga Hill in the
    Tour Downunder Garry Allen

  5. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:190120031133455038%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dave Hansen
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "David Sommerville" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hello all: I really don't know what all the fuss has been about lately focused on the weather.
    > > > Winter is cold. We all know that, so just deal with
    > > > it. No big deal.
    > >
    > > Here in SoCal it was a brisk 70 deg along the coast Dave
    >
    > Lets hope the weather improves soon so you can get in some rides.
    >
    > -WG

    AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Screw you guys. It was below freakin zero here today and yesterday.
    I road in the basement on the trainer and then went out on the snowmobile...NO WARREN I didn't go to
    Dunkin Donuts. As a matter of fact I don't think it was much above 50 in the damn basement!

    Danny Callen ...Frosty the freakin' dough-man

  6. Garry Allen wrote:

    > Here in Sydney it was a warm 39 on the coast and 44 inland on Saturday. Very pleasant weather.
    > In Adelaide today it was supposed to be 39 - good preparation for doing the Old Willunga Hill in
    > the Tour

    Perfect 22C in Dunedin, light breeze perfect for swimming in the outdoor pool, getting rid of the
    bike tan lines and generally cruising. And no bush fires.

    Actually the way the 2003 season works out, most triathletes and not a few road racers are doing
    base work now, same as you guys in the frozen North. It's just a lot more pleasant putting in the
    long distances in the summer. STF

  7. "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Screw you guys. It was below freakin
    zero
    > here today and yesterday. I road in the basement on the trainer and then went out on the
    > snowmobile...NO WARREN I didn't go to Dunkin Donuts. As a matter of fact I don't think it was much
    > above 50 in the damn basement!
    >
    > Danny Callen ...Frosty the freakin' dough-man

    You eat donuts and claim to be Fred-negative?

  8. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <%[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Screw you guys. It was below freakin zero here today and
    > > yesterday.

    I miss the "change of seasons".

    > >I road in the basement on the trainer and then went out on the snowmobile...NO WARREN I didn't go
    > >to Dunkin Donuts. As a matter of fact I don't think it was much above 50 in the damn basement!
    > >
    > > Danny Callen ...Frosty the freakin' dough-man

    That's a funny sig!

    > You eat donuts and claim to be Fred-negative?

    Inside joke, and you're not worth the time to explain it.

    -WG

  9. I went on a 3000 foot climb and the problem was it was three times as hard as normal. I didn't
    expect that much snow on the road, but when I got near the top I had to carry my mountain bike
    through 2 feet of snow for three miles.

    Really scary!

    For a while I was wondering if I could even muster enough strength to get through the ordeal. I was
    exhausted and drained from the struggle. I has Accelerade in one of my water bottle and drank that.
    Anyway I still got severe cramps after I got out of the snow, and again about a mile from my house.
    I was dehydrated and bordering on hypothermia. My toes and fingers were frozen. That was really
    scary and I was worried about if I would ever get out of there. Time was a factor as I barely made
    it home by dark.

    Crap, I will never do that road again in Winter. I didn't know that there was that much snow on that
    road after the recent storms. It's a fire road that nobody uses and my tracks were the only ones.
    Also there was a giant 2000 pound rock that fell down that blocked the road that I went around.
    There were at least 4 trees in the road that fell down that I had to go around, under or through.

    Good to be home in the hot tub and some warm blankets afterwards!

    Bruce-
> [...]
    > started coming after me. I didn't know dogs like garlic so much!
    >
    > Anyhow, I still had a good ride. And the doctors said I should regain the use of my fingers again.
    > As far as the toes go, who needs all ten anyway.
    >
    > One last thing, I don't recommend slipping one of those heat packs down the front of your shorts.
    > The chafing can get a little harsh, if you know what I mean. (Found out the hard way.)
    >
    > See you all out there next weekend!
    >
    > Davis Hammerville
    >
    > By the way, the drippings collect nicely in the foil layer and you can use them as a nice marinate
    > for steak when you get home. Mmmm...

    > ------
    > Got this note from Davis Hammerville today. Seems he is also preparing
    right
    > for the upcoming 2003 season as a Pro on a local Div III team.

  10. That's not the first time I have been in trouble in my mountain adventures. One time a friend and I
    came face to face with a mountain lion while riding our MB's. We had a stand off and a stare contest
    to see who was going to give it up. I had cytomax in my water bottle and figured if I could squirt
    it in the cats eyes the salt would burn the cats eyes and cause it to run away. It was pretty scary,
    I have to tell you. This happened on Chowchilla Mtn. road at 6000 ft. The cat finally backed down
    and cut a path sideways up the mountain. Just a few weeks ago I had a mountain lion run out in front
    of my car near Yosemite, but this time I had a car, so the the cat was more worried then me. It cut
    a path sideways through the river bed. I have only seen two lions in 30 years. I have had black
    bears run out in front of my bike twice. Almost hit deers many times that have run out in front of
    my bike. It's a gamble with the critters. As least I usually know where cars are coming from!

    BTW, I been wanting to get a cell phone for my solo backwoods rides. 911, hopefully if it's not
    blocked by the mountains. Old analog cell phones work better in the mountains then the new
    digital phones.

    B-
    ------------------------------------
> [...]
    > > > again. As far as the toes go, who
    > needs
    > > > all ten anyway.
    > > >
    > > > One last thing, I don't recommend slipping one of those heat packs down the front of your
    > > > shorts. The chafing can get a little harsh, if you know what I mean. (Found out the hard way.)
    > > >
    > > > See you all out there next weekend!
    > > >
    > > > Davis Hammerville
    > > >
    > > > By the way, the drippings collect nicely in the foil layer and you can use them as a nice
    > > > marinate for steak when you get home.
    > Mmmm...

    > ------
    > > --
    > > > ------
    > > > Got this note from Davis Hammerville today. Seems he is also
    > preparing
    > > right
    > > > for the upcoming 2003 season as a Pro on a local Div III team.

  11. Remember this guy? One of my favorite rides is where mountain lions are spotted frequently. So
    everytime I go up the trail with my MB, It is always in the back of my mind if I will have another
    encounter with one of the big cats. Big cats have been more active in Yosemite in recent years,
    even wandering into picnic areas to lunch on pets. Just so happens that where one of my favorite
    rides starts, there has been several cats spotted many times by the river and at the end of the
    same ride, there is a danger posted sign, that a cat is residence to the area, spotted numerous
    times and to take caution. So everytime I throw my bike down and crash for a minute on a log, I got
    that cat in my mind!

    http://www.mysteries-megasite.com/temp/cougar.jpg

    http://www.mysteries-megasite.com/temp/cougar-2.jpg

    B-
    -----------------------------
> [...]
    > > > again. As far as the toes go, who
    > needs
    > > > all ten anyway.
    > > >
    > > > One last thing, I don't recommend slipping one of those heat packs down the front of your
    > > > shorts. The chafing can get a little harsh, if you know what I mean. (Found out the hard way.)
    > > >
    > > > See you all out there next weekend!
    > > >
    > > > Davis Hammerville
    > > >
    > > > By the way, the drippings collect nicely in the foil layer and you can use them as a nice
    > > > marinate for steak when you get home.
    > Mmmm...

    > ------
    > > --
    > > > ------
    > > > Got this note from Davis Hammerville today. Seems he is also
    > preparing
    > > right
    > > > for the upcoming 2003 season as a Pro on a local Div III team.

  12. I don't know anything about lions, tigers and bears ;) but when I was working as a lumberjack way
    back then, I would often stumble across a Moose. Once neither of us saw each other until our paths
    crossed about 10 feet apart. Let me tell you these animals are big up close. We just stood there and
    stared at each other and all sorts of plans ran through my head, like starting up the chainsaw and
    revving it high. Finally after about a minute or two I started singing softly. Her ears clipped in
    my direction and I could see her listening. Slowly she shrugged her head and wandered off
    majestically without looking back. Ever since then when I run into wild animals I start singing and
    it seems to calm them down instead of startling them like normal. When confronted with lions I guess
    you could look upon it as a way to "sing for your supper" or his.

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre

  13. On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:16:22 +1300, Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Garry Allen wrote:
    >
    >> Here in Sydney it was a warm 39 on the coast and 44 inland on Saturday. Very pleasant weather.
    >> In Adelaide today it was supposed to be 39 - good preparation for doing the Old Willunga Hill in
    >> the Tour
    >
    >Perfect 22C in Dunedin, light breeze perfect for swimming in the outdoor pool, getting rid of the
    >bike tan lines and generally cruising. And no bush fires.

    Raining in Glasgow...

    .....and in Rome the Pope continues to be a Catholic.

    Cheers! Stephen

  14. "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:200120030640035265%[email protected]...
    > In article <%[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
    > <kgring[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Screw you guys. It was below freakin zero here today and
    > > > yesterday.
    >
    > I miss the "change of seasons".
    >
    > > >I road in the basement on the trainer and then went out on the snowmobile...NO WARREN I didn't
    > > >go to Dunkin Donuts.
    As a
    > > > matter of fact I don't think it was much above 50 in the damn
    basement!

    > > > Danny Callen ...Frosty the freakin' dough-man
    >
    > That's a funny sig!
    >
    > > You eat donuts and claim to be Fred-negative?
    >
    > Inside joke, and you're not worth the time to explain it.

    I understand - obese donut consuming Old Guys surely must have a shortage of time between runs to
    Krispy Kreme and the ensuing Food Coma naps/sugar overdose induced lethargy.

    Some day I will join the ranks of the delusional old guy wannabees - I've got it penciled in for my
    85th birthday. I look forward to that day.

    sincerely yours,

    Kurgan Gringioni (future Obese "racer")

  15. Krispy Kreme gives away free donuts hot off the baking rollers at around 11am I think. I had a few
    of those. Those are good, you could easily shove several of those down without blinking.

    Bruce-
    ---------------------------------
    news:X5%[email protected]...

    > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:200120030640035265%[email protected]...
    > > In article <%[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > I miss the "change of seasons".

    > As a
    > basement!

    > > That's a funny sig!
    > >
    > > > You eat donuts and claim to be Fred-negative?
    > >
    > > Inside joke, and you're not worth the time to explain it.
    >

    > I understand - obese donut consuming Old Guys surely must have a shortage
    of
    > time between runs to Krispy Kreme and the ensuing Food Coma naps/sugar overdose induced lethargy.
    >

    > Some day I will join the ranks of the delusional old guy wannabees - I've got it penciled in for
    > my 85th birthday. I look forward to that day.
    >

    > sincerely yours,
    >

    > Kurgan Gringioni (future Obese "racer")

  16. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have often thought that if jumped by a lion on a ride, you wouldn't stand a chance. Not because
    > of course the lion is a killing machine but because you are so focused on the trail and the job
    > at hand, it would take you by surprise. Especially for me since I use a walkman with music, I
    > wouldn't hear a thing. Also when doing a big climb, you can become weak as a kitten, and not much
    > left to be stuggling with a lion. Being winded already, lion would get the jump on you that is
    > for sure!
    >
    > B-
    > -------------------------------------
    > "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Bruce Johnston wrote:
    > > >One of my favorite rides is where mountain lions are spotted frequently.
    > > Did a Summer ride up Magnolia, behind Boulder. That climb sucks. Anyway,
    > > just KNEW a couger was following me up the mountain, and I was so hypoxic
    > that
    > > I knew there was nothing I could do if it were to jump me. I kept seeing cougar food, like deer
    > > and grouse, and thinking, where there is couger
    > food,
    > > there must be cougars... Greg

    We have mountain lions around where I ride, lots of deer for food too. I often ride with my red
    tailight flashing because I doubt a mountain lion will consider that part of his normal prey. FWIW.

    -WG