Riding in the cold!!

kvl1027

Mar 28, 2005
I live in florida, and have lived here all of my life, and even though it does not get that cold here, or a least relative to those who live up north, it is cold enough to pose a problem for those not used to it.

I went riding this morning, and it was about 50º out. I have arm warmers, and I wore a beany cap under my helmet to keep my ears warm, but it wasnt the cold feeling I had a problem with, it was breathing the cold air. It hurt my lungs so bad, I could only do about 8 miles, before it was too much to stand. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can solve this problem. I think I have seen some covers you can wear over your mouth, probably to keep your face warm, but do these help at all with warming the air before it goes in the lungs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sincerly,
Cold Floridian Rider!

As someone who regulary rides in 20-30 degree weather in the winter months up here in Pittsburgh, PA I can tell you that getting a cover for your pie hole ain't gonna do you any good. It's just something you're going to need to get used to. We've been riding in 40-50 degrees up here over the last month and we'll soon have only 20s and 30s to ride in. I don't know the specific physiological reasons, but it's definitely harder for your lungs to process colder air. It probably has something to do with cold air hitting your warm lungs and expanding quickly. It definitely works the lungs harder. The trick, for me at least, is to not go as hard. Ease into it a little and just give it time. You'll get used to it.

And for all our sakes, stop whing about having to ride in 50 degree weather. I'd kill for that right now. I was forced to spin on a trainer for an hour because flurries and ice blew in. 50 degrees. You guys are spoiled. Suck it up and embrace the pain Sally.

Hahahahaha..........yeah, 50 degree and he is all freaked out. In NYC, we are getting in the mid 30s to upper 20s. I see water frozen on the sidewalk and it reminds me my water bottles!!!! I think Winter is finally here and I have to face the reality of it after having ridden close to 700 miles in 4 and a half weeks under the Fall weather.

chrispopovic said:
As someone who regulary rides in 20-30 degree weather in the winter months up here in Pittsburgh, PA I can tell you that getting a cover for your pie hole ain't gonna do you any good. It's just something you're going to need to get used to. We've been riding in 40-50 degrees up here over the last month and we'll soon have only 20s and 30s to ride in. I don't know the specific physiological reasons, but it's definitely harder for your lungs to process colder air. It probably has something to do with cold air hitting your warm lungs and expanding quickly. It definitely works the lungs harder. The trick, for me at least, is to not go as hard. Ease into it a little and just give it time. You'll get used to it.

And for all our sakes, stop whing about having to ride in 50 degree weather. I'd kill for that right now. I was forced to spin on a trainer for an hour because flurries and ice blew in. 50 degrees. You guys are spoiled. Suck it up and embrace the pain Sally.

kvl1027 said:
I live in florida, and have lived here all of my life, and even though it does not get that cold here, or a least relative to those who live up north, it is cold enough to pose a problem for those not used to it.

I went riding this morning, and it was about 50º out. I have arm warmers, and I wore a beany cap under my helmet to keep my ears warm, but it wasnt the cold feeling I had a problem with, it was breathing the cold air. It hurt my lungs so bad, I could only do about 8 miles, before it was too much to stand. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can solve this problem. I think I have seen some covers you can wear over your mouth, probably to keep your face warm, but do these help at all with warming the air before it goes in the lungs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sincerly,
Cold Floridian Rider!
First of all! let me tell you that is one funny signature you have! the lord of the rings things was so funny I couldn't stop laughing for three minutes straight the first time I read it! Anyways... regarding the "cold" weather (50 aint cold, but anyways). I'm from colorado, here, the weather is crazy one day can be sunny and nice and just a few hours it can be windy, rainy or snowy. however, we do have months or sometime jus weeks where our high temp is in the mid 30's. I have the same problem that you do, the lungs burn and breathing becomes hard when I try to ride from denver to look out mountain (5280 ft to aprox. 8000). so what i do is conditioning with my trainer! instead of spinning inside, spin out side !!! I do it for a day or two, for an hour and thirty minutes to two hours. Remember to pace yourself and try to control your respiration to a moderate breathing. Don't try to do anything fansy just because some chick walked near the house, you'll only hurt yourself! It always works for me! but remember to always be careful, don't want you to end up in a hospital!

First off if you read my post again, you will see that I am not whining about the weather, but 50º is different for a native floridian, than someone who deals with it all the time, it wasnt that cold, it's just getting used to breathing the cold air. You should hear all the northerners ***** about how hot and humid it is here......lol.

Anyways thanks everyone for the help, anyone else with some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I figure I just have to get used to it for the two months that it is remotely cold down here.

1027:

Suckin cold air can be difficult and IT CAN present a danger in freezing and near freezing temps. A session of freezing air can cause a ninfty coughing fit when off the bike and inside. When riding in real winter ...-15 and below the broncial tubes and lung linings can be damaged with a blast of cold air. Balaclavas(sp) come in handy, as it slows the air allowing for a slight warming but more the reduction of the wind chill caused by velocity and wind.. When dealing with hardcore winter riding...-20 and below, skin will freeze in a matter of minutes.

For you however, try not to shovel the air down the throat so fast. Through the nose can help a bit. You'l adapt....if it continues try a bandana, and ride it like it's hot.
:D

I get a very runny nose in the cold. Yesterday it was foggy and pretty freezing so I wrapped up in dozens of pairs of socks and gloves. I'd still prefer being out on the road to just using an indoor trainer. Admittedly, cycling ad freezing isn't much fun but it's nice when you get it done and over with.

Traffic Jammer said:
1027:

Suckin cold air can be difficult and IT CAN present a danger in freezing and near freezing temps. A session of freezing air can cause a ninfty coughing fit when off the bike and inside. When riding in real winter ...-15 and below the broncial tubes and lung linings can be damaged with a blast of cold air. Balaclavas(sp) come in handy, as it slows the air allowing for a slight warming but more the reduction of the wind chill caused by velocity and wind.. When dealing with hardcore winter riding...-20 and below, skin will freeze in a matter of minutes.

For you however, try not to shovel the air down the throat so fast. Through the nose can help a bit. You'l adapt....if it continues try a bandana, and ride it like it's hot.
:D

I can't see needing more than one pair of socks where you are, throw the booties on and your good to go to -5 -10. Too many socks = no warm air in the shoe = cold feet.

Traffic Jammer said:
I can't see needing more than one pair of socks where you are, throw the booties on and your good to go to -5 -10. Too many socks = no warm air in the shoe = cold feet.
I dont wear more than one pair, that would just be uncomfortable, and I would say that it does not even get cold enough to wear booties down, except maybe for a few weeks. I just had a little trouble with breathing in the cold air, made it very hard to breathe, every breath felt shallow, I guess i just have to start riding in it, nd I will get used tyo it.

On a club ride today (42 degrees with 25mph winds), one of the guys had one of those face masks that covers the mouth and nose. Don't know who makes it. He said it helps with the cold air problem. I thought he sort of looked like he was going to rob a bank. I rode for ~5 yrs in MA and never rode with anything over my mouth and never had a problem, but maybe it just doesn't affect me in the same way. I was always worried about skin freezing with the combination of temp and wind, so I focused on not having much exposed skin, especially extremities. And, it's a pain to keep the water bottle from freezing.

lol freezing the bottle. Would happen as a messenger all the time. Ended up knowing pwho had water fountains. OR Vodka....lol kd'ing

"You should hear all the northerners ***** about how hot and humid it is here......lol."

i don't believe you!! heheh!

it was 33° as i headed out for a quick 12-mile ride after work. only a lack of daylight (and i have no lights on the bike) kept me from doing more miles.

i'll be in daytona for bike week (the 'other' kind of bike!) and i'll have to do a couple of early morning bicycle rides to check out this 50° thing. we will not see 50° for weeks or months, i'm afraid.

i've never worn a mask and unless the temperature is below 25° my balaclava is worn under the chin. the air exchage is taking place so rapidly, from outside air into the lung, and for such a long exposure time i doubt the masks do much to warm the intake temperature much.

like others have stated, i think it's just something (like...er...road grit and salt on the roads) that we get used to in the winter.

traffic jammer, i salute you! you are hard core! i rode in 13° with flurries in the air and that was cold enough for me. removing the gloves to change a flat sew-up can, like you said, cause frostbite in just a couple of minutes!

I need to get new gloves and pants for this winter. My stretchy pants are totally thrashed, mm maybe some woolies with a wind break on the front. Need to make my fenders too....

The problem you are talking about doesn't occur until it is below 35F when it is I use a neck gaiter and pull it over my face just below the eyes. This ussually causes my eyewear to fog so with a pair of sissors I cut a small hole for breathing out of or I take the eyewear off and go slower the warm air from my breath gives some protection against wind eye. I can't picture some one in Florida riding like that but if it makes you happy go ahead it's your play ground.

shut up & ride said:
I rather be an ass.. then a WHIMP !!! :eek::eek: cry baby
By the way, Congadulations on your up-coming gradution frrom High School. But be careful, I heard the real world can be a *****, especially when you lack the social skills to interact in a mature and professional environment.

Also, can I get my burger Medium rare, and value size the fries, thanks.

I have asthma, which is triggered by exercise in cold weather. Didn't know this for many years and just suffered with it. Much better if I take my Advair (preventive asthma med) regularly, and a balaclava does help for me. Also trying not to breathe too hard, backing off when it really hurts. A few exercises can help: breathe out slowly as far as you can, then let your lungs expand by themselves to breathe in. Try pursing your lips when you breathe out to make a small hole (I think this increases pressure inside your airways and helps them to open). Also, holding your breath for a bit can do the same.

Just a thought, but maybe undiagnosed asthma could be why the 50 degrees is more painful for you than for others.

Emily

I'm from central Canada, I'm with a triathlon club that trains all year. We run outside year 'round and many of us cycle to work daily (-30 today, too cold for the skinny tires I'm afraid). Breathing cold air won't hurt you, don't worry about it, we've all done it for years. I've trained for marathons in this stuff, your lungs don't mind the cold a bit. As for riding. O.R. has a good balaclava that has mesh over the mouth hole so you can breath and not fog up your glasses, good little piece of gear.