Riding in the Rain- what Eye protection?

jitteringjr

Sep 2, 2003
Its been raining so often here that I have to ride in the rain lately. I used to love running in the rain when I was running all the time, but on a road bike, the higher speeds causes an issue.

The only problem I have with riding in the rain is a vision one. If I wear eyewear, it gets fogged up and coated with drops and I can't see where I'm going. (Ever drive your car in the rain and not use the wipers?) If I skip the eye wear, the 25+ mph rain pelts me in the eyes and makes me squint so badly that I can't see without them either.

What is everyone’s trick to this issue?

jitteringjr said:
Its been raining so often here that I have to ride in the rain lately. I used to love running in the rain when I was running all the time, but on a road bike, the higher speeds causes an issue.

The only problem I have with riding in the rain is a vision one. If I wear eyewear, it gets fogged up and coated with drops and I can't see where I'm going. (Ever drive your car in the rain and not use the wipers?) If I skip the eye wear, the 25+ mph rain pelts me in the eyes and makes me squint so badly that I can't see without them either.

I've found that using the visor on my helmet allows riding without glasses in the summer rain. After fogging up last Saturday, I pulled my glasses off and rode for about an hour without a problem. I know it's not smart to ride without eye protection, but the visor seems to deflect wind and grit away from the eyes.

On sunny days, the visor keeps a lot of sun off the face. I'm fair-skinned, and it's great to finish a long ride without a burnt nose or hot burnt face.

I know they don't look racy, but would recommend trying the visor on your helmet.

jitteringjr said:

you can anti-mist your glasses...clear, yellow or Tek Red (Rudy) work best in rainy or low light conditions. they shouldn't fog too much if you are in motion anyway.

I've never had a problem looking thourgh the droplets though. They tend to reach a certain level then join up and roll off, or the wind blows them off.

By clear lenses and apply Rain-X. Always keep a small chamois in a ziplock bag to clean out dirt. Rain-X should bead the rain allowing it to run.

I use a pair of Liquid Spectrums with yellow lenses. They are made by Slick Eyewear. They hug my face and have enough of a bubble shape that the water sheets off of them very well. At under $30US I couldn't be happier with them. :cool:

ed073 said:
you can anti-mist your glasses...clear, yellow or Tek Red (Rudy) work best in rainy or low light conditions. they shouldn't fog too much if you are in motion anyway.

I've never had a problem looking thourgh the droplets though. They tend to reach a certain level then join up and roll off, or the wind blows them off.

True. There seems to be a "critical mass" for droplets, then they just blow off.

Oh yeah.....Rudys are THE BEST glasses. :)