Riding in the Smoke/Death Ride

WattsAMatta

Sep 20, 2007
With all of the wildfires burning in California, the air quality can be really awful. The Markleeville Death Ride is tomorrow (approx. 130 miles, 15,000 ft climbing), and I'm wondering what I should watch out for with respect to breathing issues. The local paper has issued an 'Air Quality Advisory' suggesting 'stay indoors, no strenuous activity, etc.' So I'm wondering how to proceed. Should I skip the ride this year, or just plan to take it slow. If I ride it, are there likely to be lingering issues with a bunch of smokey gunk in my lungs? During the ride, what symptoms should I watch out for?
Any input is appreciated,
-- Bryan

WattsAMatta said:
With all of the wildfires burning in California, the air quality can be really awful. The Markleeville Death Ride is tomorrow (approx. 130 miles, 15,000 ft climbing), and I'm wondering what I should watch out for with respect to breathing issues. The local paper has issued an 'Air Quality Advisory' suggesting 'stay indoors, no strenuous activity, etc.' So I'm wondering how to proceed. Should I skip the ride this year, or just plan to take it slow. If I ride it, are there likely to be lingering issues with a bunch of smokey gunk in my lungs? During the ride, what symptoms should I watch out for?
Any input is appreciated,
-- Bryan

I live quite a way from California, but just to give you the benefit of my experience here in Japan. I ride in remote areas up in the mountains and occasionally come across a farmer burning tree branches. Just riding through the smoke for a few seconds, leaves you coughing and spluttering if you don't hold your breath. Sorry Bryan, but smoke to the human lung is anathema. Unless of course you are a smoker, then you should be fine because your lungs are black as soot anyway. :D

Personally I would give the race a miss if it's in the smoke zone. Tyson

Thanks for the response. It turned out that the prevailing winds and whatever other influences were very kind, and the day of the Death Ride was remarkably clear. I did the ride, and although the views from the summits were rather hazey, the smoke turned out to be a non-issue as far as breathing goes.
-- B

WattsAMatta said:
Thanks for the response. It turned out that the prevailing winds and whatever other influences were very kind, and the day of the Death Ride was remarkably clear. I did the ride, and although the views from the summits were rather hazey, the smoke turned out to be a non-issue as far as breathing goes.
-- B

Oops, I was a bit late there - luckily. :eek:

WattsAMatta said:
-- B
They weren't that hazey.... I think you must have steamed up the inside of your Oakleys. ;)

What about that "sandblasting" hail at the end.... That was something else, and it had to have been the first time in years that there was a tail wind up Carson Pass!

swampy1970 said:
They weren't that hazey.... I think you must have steamed up the inside of your Oakleys. ;)

What about that "sandblasting" hail at the end.... That was something else, and it had to have been the first time in years that there was a tail wind up Carson Pass!

Yes, the hail was brilliant! It started while we we eating our ice cream at the rest stop at the top of Carson. After waiting out the hail, we rode down the hill in just a light rain. Good times... :)