Riding in the US over Christmas?

Minna Nevalainen

Guest
Hey everybody,

Not sure I am sticking to protocol, just got this link from a Swedish
contact of mine ... but hope you can help me ..

I am looking to possibly going away from home over Christmas with my bike,
and was wondering if there is anywhere in the US (I know, big country ...)
where the trails are good at this time of year? Any ideas/links for
accommodation would be most appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Minna

Minna Nevalainen wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> Not sure I am sticking to protocol, just got this link from a Swedish
> contact of mine ... but hope you can help me ..
>
> I am looking to possibly going away from home over Christmas with my bike,
> and was wondering if there is anywhere in the US (I know, big country ...)
> where the trails are good at this time of year? Any ideas/links for
> accommodation would be most appreciated as well.

Arizona.

http://www.petefagerlin.com/az04.htm

p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
> Minna Nevalainen wrote:
>> Hey everybody,
>>
>> Not sure I am sticking to protocol, just got this link from a Swedish
>> contact of mine ... but hope you can help me ..
>>
>> I am looking to possibly going away from home over Christmas with my
>> bike, and was wondering if there is anywhere in the US (I know, big
>> country ...) where the trails are good at this time of year? Any
>> ideas/links for accommodation would be most appreciated as well.

> Arizona.
>
> http://www.petefagerlin.com/az04.htm

I'll second that. A lot of good riding even at higher altitudes through out
the winter.

Gary

Awesome! Thanx! :) /Minna
"GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
> > Minna Nevalainen wrote:
> >> Hey everybody,
> >>
> >> Not sure I am sticking to protocol, just got this link from a Swedish
> >> contact of mine ... but hope you can help me ..
> >>
> >> I am looking to possibly going away from home over Christmas with my
> >> bike, and was wondering if there is anywhere in the US (I know, big
> >> country ...) where the trails are good at this time of year? Any
> >> ideas/links for accommodation would be most appreciated as well.

> > Arizona.
> >
> > http://www.petefagerlin.com/az04.htm

> I'll second that. A lot of good riding even at higher altitudes through

out
> the winter.
>
> Gary

"Minna Nevalainen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey everybody,
>
> Not sure I am sticking to protocol, just got this link from a Swedish
> contact of mine ... but hope you can help me ..
>
> I am looking to possibly going away from home over Christmas with my bike,
> and was wondering if there is anywhere in the US (I know, big country ...)
> where the trails are good at this time of year? Any ideas/links for
> accommodation would be most appreciated as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Minna

What he said.....Arizona.

Minna Nevalainen said...

> Hey everybody,
>
> Not sure I am sticking to protocol, just got this link from a Swedish
> contact of mine ... but hope you can help me ..
>
> I am looking to possibly going away from home over Christmas with my bike,
> and was wondering if there is anywhere in the US (I know, big country ...)
> where the trails are good at this time of year? Any ideas/links for
> accommodation would be most appreciated as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Minna

Anything south of about 37° latitude more likely than not will have good
riding weather, although cold snaps happen. Everyone says Arizona, but
don't forget California, and N. Carolina will be about 10°C, a great
temp for riding. I used to live in NC. Some of the best weather of the
year was in winter.

p e t e f a g e r l i n said:
Minna Nevalainen wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> Not sure I am sticking to protocol, just got this link from a Swedish
> contact of mine ... but hope you can help me ..
>
> I am looking to possibly going away from home over Christmas with my bike,
> and was wondering if there is anywhere in the US (I know, big country ...)
> where the trails are good at this time of year? Any ideas/links for
> accommodation would be most appreciated as well.

Arizona.

http://www.petefagerlin.com/az04.htm

im not 100% certain, but i believe Moab Utah is still good in the winter. if you are into the slickrock thing.

Moah ...... always wanted to go there. A must, but I might go there next
year instead, for the Fat Tyre Festival.

Anything south of 37 degrees latitude. *thanx* will check it out on the map.
Have to say Arizona views attract me. Never been around desert before
either, so might go for that after all, for the experience. Plus they have
day excursions to Grand Canyon as well from there, I believe ..

Lots and lots to see and do, I will have to stay forever! :)

Thanx again guys,
Minna
"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Minna Nevalainen said...
>
> > Hey everybody,
> >
> > Not sure I am sticking to protocol, just got this link from a Swedish
> > contact of mine ... but hope you can help me ..
> >
> > I am looking to possibly going away from home over Christmas with my

bike,
> > and was wondering if there is anywhere in the US (I know, big country

....)
> > where the trails are good at this time of year? Any ideas/links for
> > accommodation would be most appreciated as well.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Minna

> Anything south of about 37° latitude more likely than not will have good
> riding weather, although cold snaps happen. Everyone says Arizona, but
> don't forget California, and N. Carolina will be about 10°C, a great
> temp for riding. I used to live in NC. Some of the best weather of the
> year was in winter.

For you anywhere South of the Mason Dixson line or
Arizona to California. Anywhere other you can just stay and ride
there in Sweden.

I MTB 2004

Minna Nevalainen said...

> Moah ...... always wanted to go there. A must, but I might go there next
> year instead, for the Fat Tyre Festival.

Moab has an average daytime high of about 7°C on Christmas day, courtesy
of weather.com. Decent riding weather, but it may cool off a lot at
higher elevations. You could spend a few Euros on phone calls to bike
shops in the towns you plan to visit and get expert advice. It would be
easy to find them with Internet Yellow Pages.

> Anything south of 37 degrees latitude. *thanx* will check it out on the map.
> Have to say Arizona views attract me. Never been around desert before
> either, so might go for that after all, for the experience. Plus they have
> day excursions to Grand Canyon as well from there, I believe ..

I just wanted to point out that if you didn't originally plan to be near
Arizona, you will likely have good riding weather just about anywhere in
the southern half of the country.

SuperSlinky wrote:
> Minna Nevalainen said...
>

>>Moah ...... always wanted to go there. A must, but I might go there next
>>year instead, for the Fat Tyre Festival.

> Moab has an average daytime high of about 7°C on Christmas day, courtesy
> of weather.com. Decent riding weather, but it may cool off a lot at
> higher elevations. You could spend a few Euros on phone calls to bike
> shops in the towns you plan to visit and get expert advice. It would be
> easy to find them with Internet Yellow Pages.

I have ridden Slickrock several times between Xmas and New Years. It's
perfectly do-able, but there are risks.

The daytime temp is as high as 60F (15-ish C), but can be near freezing.
Snow cover is usually very light, but stays on the north-facing slopes.
This can become a problem because the snow will cover parts of the
marked trail. Sometimes long parts, which makes trail-finding difficult.
The last time I did it, I barely dodged a cold night in the desert and
busted my ass pushing my bike up and down unmarked slopes for a couple
hours, looking for the trail.

You don't want to head out cross-country in an area like that, because
you will very quickly become more lost.

Since Arizona is close, if that's your destination you can possibly flit
up to Moab depending on conditions. If the Winter has been dry and/or
warm, the Moab trails will be "open."

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

"Minna Nevalainen" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hey everybody,
>
> Not sure I am sticking to protocol, just got this link from a Swedish
> contact of mine ... but hope you can help me ..
>
> I am looking to possibly going away from home over Christmas with my
> bike, and was wondering if there is anywhere in the US (I know, big
> country ...) where the trails are good at this time of year? Any
> ideas/links for accommodation would be most appreciated as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Minna

Southern California. Best time of year to ride. I live here and I always
take the week between xmas and New Years off from work to RIDE. It's hot
as hell here in the summer, just starting to cool off now...

--
____________________________
TOMMY HOMICIDE

> Southern California. Best time of year to ride. I live here and I always
> take the week between xmas and New Years off from work to RIDE. It's hot
> as hell here in the summer, just starting to cool off now...

And I might add that the rides here are SUPERB.

--
____________________________
TOMMY HOMICIDE

Awesome! Lots of ideas to work on! Will definitely look at Southern
California as well, as Arizona and Utah implies changing planes, but I think
that there might be non-stop flights to the west coast ... which would be
the easiest as I will bring my bike with me (never leave home without it
...).

Definitely looking forward to some sun and warmer climate than Sweden,
Thanx all, again,
Minna

> Arizona and Utah implies changing planes, but I think
> that there might be non-stop flights to the west coast

There are direct flights from London to Phoenix, Salt Lake City and Denver.
We flew British Airways to Denver last year via London.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have ridden Slickrock several times between Xmas and New Years. It's
> perfectly do-able, but there are risks.

<snip the obvious risks>

You forgot sudden horizontal blizzards.

JD