Riding in the winter, in cold weather.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by lleberg, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    I live in Umeå - Sweden, that means we have sun 20 hours a day in the
    summer, and of course it's neat, but in the winter we have 4 hours of
    sunlight, or even less!

    Not stopping here, it's not only dark (the snow lights it up, but
    anyway), it's f*cking freezing!

    Around ner year eve it's the coldest days of the year, and the
    temperature crawls down to -35 degree C.
    0 degree F is about -17 C, and due to this, you have have to wear really
    really thick clothes.

    And there is a nother problem, it's slippery due to the snow!

    Now, I'm woundering, does anyone have experience of riding in the cold,
    what clothes should you wear, how does the unicycle work? Is there any
    studded tire for a unicycle? :)

    I bought my unicycle just some days ago, and i'm progressing good, made
    the first level an hour ago, and i don't want to be stuck inside or not
    to be able to ride at all in the winter.

    On the good side, i might break some unicycle-in-the-cold record!

    --
    lleberg
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  2. horsehair36

    horsehair36 Guest

    I'm new to uni also, but I do a lot of mountainbiking. In the winter we
    rid in the snow here in chicago,usa. They do sell studded tires for
    bikes. But I don't know what sizes they come in besides 26".
    If you go to google you my find ways to make your own. Ihave heard of
    people doing that. Good luck with it.

    --
    horsehair36
    horsehair36's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8310

  3. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    I think muniac.com talks about studded tires.
    The winter is a terrible time for unicycling, unless you MUni. MUniing
    in the snow is really, really spiffy, especially downhill, you can stop
    pedalling and slide for about ten feet at a time.

    --
    James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

  4. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

  5. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    lleberg wrote:

    > Around ner year eve it's the coldest days of the year, and the
    > temperature crawls down to -35 degree C.
    > 0 degree F is about -17 C, and due to this, you have have to wear
    > really really thick clothes.
    >
    > And there is a nother problem, it's slippery due to the snow!
    >
    > Now, I'm woundering, does anyone have experience of riding in the
    > cold, what clothes should you wear, how does the unicycle work? Is
    > there any studded tire for a unicycle? :)

    Whoa. You're gnarly (tough-as-nails) if you're riding in -35C!

    Instructions for unicycle tire chains:
    http://tinyurl.com/2mxg8

    --
    steveyo - new old guy

    steveyo

    Pray to God, but keep rowing for shore. - old Russian proverb

  6. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    I just found a great site that will answer basically all questions about
    studded tires(How to make them, what kind to buy, and brands etc...).
    Its a mega dope site.

    'Tires for ICEBIKING' (http://www.icebike.com/Equipment/tires.htm)

    --
    Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!

    [image: http://pics.xs.to/pics/04063/catko.jpg]
    I have the amazing power to talk to cats!=^.^=

  7. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    If you don't already know about it, you might try 'this link'
    (http://www.icebike.com/) for information about cycling in cold weather,
    they've got references to riding the Iditarod trail in Alaska, -very-
    northern North America. They've got reviews of studded tires, lights,
    clothing, and other things for riding in cold temperatures.

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  8. devicycle

    devicycle Guest

    From what I know dressing for biking - -

    It's all about having a fine balance between sweating to death once you
    begin to generate heat, and not wearing too little. Dressing in layers
    is the best advice, with a pack to carry extra layers in. The outside
    should be some sort of external shell, such as a windbreaker or
    waterproof/windproof goretex. Underneath is your decision depending
    upon the weather. You could need just a fleece, or need four
    sweatshirts. The idea is that those layers will insulate like a house's
    insulation, and the windbreaker is like the aluminum siding. To help
    wick sweat from your skin, look into some sort of non cotton wicking
    base layer as well. Otherwise, balaclava for the face, and some thick
    polypro cycling tights. (look at performance's triflex tights)

    Hope this helps!
    Devin

    --
    devicycle - The newest unitard
    devicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8296

  9. vanished

    vanished Guest

  10. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    vanished wrote:
    > *you think -35 is bad? try almost -50 here in stoon
    > and yes i'm gonna ride it in this year. Its only about -5 out here
    > right now....its like a furnace out there! *

    Well, I just started my uni career. ;)

    --
    lleberg - Level one, and counting.

    I call my unicycle the two-legged stallion, whats yours' name?
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  11. My nephew and I use Nokian 296 studded tires on our unicycles, and ride
    on our lake in South Dakota. It's lot's of fun and freaks out the ice
    fishermen. You see them re-checking the labels on their bottles.

    The tires work exceptionally well. As for clothing, I wear pretty much
    everything I own--in layers. I have big heavy Sorel snow boots that work
    fine. You are actually more at risk falling when you're NOT on your
    unicycle.

    David Maxfield

    --
    beelzebub of balance - Junior Member of the Universe

    "When caught between two evils I generally pick the one I've never tried
    before." Mae West

    David Maxfield
    Mitchell, SD
    beelzebub of balance's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1631

  12. jefferyluce

    jefferyluce Guest

  13. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    beelzebub of balance wrote:
    > *My nephew and I use Nokian 296 studded tires on our unicycles, and
    > ride on our lake in South Dakota. It's lot's of fun and freaks out the
    > ice fishermen. You see them re-checking the labels on their bottles.
    >
    > The tires work exceptionally well. As for clothing, I wear pretty much
    > everything I own--in layers. I have big heavy Sorel snow boots that
    > work fine. You are actually more at risk falling when you're NOT on
    > your unicycle.
    >
    > David Maxfield *

    I have been a snowboarder for a couple of years, clothes are not a big
    issue, have been riding in -32 with 15meters / s up the slope, allmost
    as if the grativation had stopped, you couldn't get anywhere where you
    wanted without crawling into the classic meatball :)

    What sizes does the nokian tires come in?

    Edit: I'll just check it out myself.

    --
    lleberg - Level one, and counting.

    I call my unicycle the two-legged stallion, whats yours' name?
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  14. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    jefferyluce wrote:
    > *there is a link http://tinyurl.com/2mxg8
    >
    > I made these this weekend pretty easy. I will post pics *

    Hmmm, these may make my Maguras hard to use.;)

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  15. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "lleberg" <[email protected]> writes:

    You want the fattest tire you can find for snow riding. I ride a
    Nokian Mount & Ground on ice, and even though it grips like there's no
    tomorrow I wish I'd picked a fatter tire. Ride carefully and wear
    armor on icy streets.

    I like wearing my alpine skiing helmet and goggles to keep my head
    warm.

    Ken

  16. Goatman!

    Goatman! Guest

  17. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    Brrr.

    If you ride at night in that weather, you have to be careful about your
    light batteries, as if you don't keep them warm, they last less long.

    I wish it got that cold here. We get <0 C sometimes, but not much below
    and snow almost never.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  18. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    Find a sheltered parking garage or gym or anywhere out of the direct
    snowfall and practice your moves. You can ride outside when conditions
    allow, but the main thing is time in the saddle.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - TurboMUnieers, Charter Member
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  19. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    And btw, hot to mount some lights on a uni?

    Is it just to attatch it beneth the saddle and keed the batteries inside
    the jacket, or is a headlamp the weapon' of choice?

    --
    lleberg - Level one, and counting.

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  20. id use a head lamp.its a lot easier and you dont have to mess with
    anything coming apart or falling off.

    it somtimes gets 35/40 degrees c. here,it did last winter and i rode in
    it.suprisingly,after i got riding alot,i kept having to take stuff off
    because i was to hot.I just wore a bunch of long sleave t-shirts and a
    sweatshirt.

    but your nose freezes shut easily,i guess you already knew that....

    --
    forrestunifreak - I still dont have an avatar?

    I dont suffer from insanity.
    I love every minute of it.