Riding in this smoke - Melbourne

MWP

Guest
Just wondering whether it's good for your lungs to breathe in the smoke
particulates.
Couldn't be worse than truck fumes.

MWP said:
Just wondering whether it's good for your lungs to breathe in the smoke
particulates.
Couldn't be worse than truck fumes.

smoking is bad for your health ;)

warrwych said:
smoking is bad for your health ;)

Yes, correct answer. I took the 'work from home" option today, as a simple walk down the shops this morning resulted in a shitty headache.

Article from The Age: Warning over smoky city smog

Melbourne's Environment Protection Authority has issued an alert on poor air quality amid a flood of calls from concerned Melburnians. EPA executive director of regional services Bruce Dawson told theage.com.au visibility was up to four times worse then normal in Melbourne.

"Air quality is pretty poor today and unfortunately while the fires are burning we can probably expect that to happen under the right weather conditions for the rest of the summer," he said. "The air quality has been significantly impacted by the smoke from the bushfires, with Melbourne currently recording poor to very poor air quality as are a number of regional centres.

"We're certainly experiencing high levels in the Latrobe Valley, Gippsland, Wangaratta and getting reports of visual observations from places such as Bendigo and as far afield as Mildura." Mr Dawson said people needed to take sensible precautions.

"When it gets to these levels people should avoid too much strenuous outdoor activity, particularly people who have a pre-existing respiratory conditions."

Triple zero has today been flooded with calls from people living in metropolitan Melbourne concerned about the level of smoke outside. Police have again reminded people that 000 is for emergency calls only, and they should only call to report actual fires or other incidents where urgent police or emergency service attendance is required.

As bushfires continue, police have encouraged people to call the Victorian Bushfire Information Line on 1800 240 667, rather than 000, if they are reporting excessive smoke.

I didn't have any problems this morning (just spooked by the blood-red sun), although I think it's worse now, so the ventolin inhaler will be in easy reach on the ride home...

The haze is also creating monster glare, as I noticed after forgetting the sunnies this morning...

On 2006-12-13, warrwych <[email protected]> wrote:

> MWP Wrote:
>> Just wondering whether it's good for your lungs to breathe in the smoke
>> particulates.
>> Couldn't be worse than truck fumes.

> smoking is bad for your health ;)

Yeah. I've been telling a couple of guys here at work it was time for
them to quit for a while now. Today, I just point out the window and
say, "See what you've done?" :)

MWP said:
Just wondering whether it's good for your lungs to breathe in the smoke
particulates.
Couldn't be worse than truck fumes.

I was thinking the same.. then I walked up to the shops for lunch and saw four people all sitting there choofing away on fa(hangonthatsanoffensivewordnow) er, cigarettes... :shakes head:

HCC crits tonight.. but its not looking good.. it might be an indoor session instead.

edit: the way to work was fine for me heading out the eastern, 1hr later the smoke dropped to ground level out here.

lama

gplama wrote:

> MWP Wrote:
> > Just wondering whether it's good for your lungs to breathe in the smoke
> > particulates.
> > Couldn't be worse than truck fumes.

> I was thinking the same.. then I walked up to the shops for lunch and
> saw four people all sitting there choofing away on
> fa(hangonthatsanoffensivewordnow) er, cigarettes... :shakes head:
>
> HCC crits tonight.. but its not looking good.. it might be an indoor
> session instead.

I'm not going to the crits, too smokey, after racing on Saturday and
still having a sore throat from coughing ... urghhh

Bleve said:
I'm not going to the crits, too smokey, after racing on Saturday and
still having a sore throat from coughing ... urghhh

yeah, im 95% sure I wont be there... unless that wind changes... Coburg have a mini-tour thing on Sat morning that I want to go and rip up, so that can be my race for the week :)

I didn't smell the smoke this morning, but there was plenty evidence.
Just walking around gives me a sore throat. I think I'll leave the bike
at the office and train it home.

gplama wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> >
> > I'm not going to the crits, too smokey, after racing on Saturday and
> > still having a sore throat from coughing ... urghhh

> yeah, im 95% sure I wont be there... unless that wind changes...
> Coburg have a mini-tour thing on Sat morning that I want to go and rip
> up, so that can be my race for the week :)

Did it end up running? I'm still soft, am riding the motorbike on the
days when it's too smoky (eg today ....)

Bleve said:
Did it end up running? I'm still soft, am riding the motorbike on the
days when it's too smoky (eg today ....)

Yep - one of the best A grade races there in a while too.. pity I wasn't racing! Newell, Braunsteins, Jono in a break of three lapped what was left of A grade.. Braunsteins took the sprint by 1/2 a bike to Newell with Jono not far behind.

gplama said:
Yep - one of the best A grade races there in a while too.. pity I wasn't racing! Newell, Braunsteins, Jono in a break of three lapped what was left of A grade.. Braunsteins took the sprint by 1/2 a bike to Newell with Jono not far behind.
a cool breeze started coming through about 6:30 so it wasnt too bad at the course. Not noticeable during the race.

also, Riding in the Smoke - Canberra.

Fortunately Tumut seems smaller than your fires.

MWP said:
Just wondering whether it's good for your lungs to breathe in the smoke
particulates.
Couldn't be worse than truck fumes.

no, it's not good for your lungs, although it depends on smoke particle size - the large particles will lodge in larger airways, the small ones get into small airways and alveoli. The airway particles can be cleared if you don't smoke and this doesn't go on too long but the alveolar ones are there to stay:-(

the smoke is an irritant though and can trigger asthma and it gives you a sore throat. just like living in the Third World really.