Riding in Utah

Tim Howes

Guest
Hi
I'm heading to Salt Lake City for all of March and April, working on a
hospital placement, but obviously the major motive lies in tham thar hills.

The question is... can I ski AND go biking at this time of year? I guess
there must be biking in Moab all year round, but what is there by way of
riding in the Salt Lake area?

Currently planning on packing skis and my Spesh Stumpy FSR, and extremely
excited by it all.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
Tim

Tim Howes wrote:
> Hi
> I'm heading to Salt Lake City for all of March and April, working on a
> hospital placement, but obviously the major motive lies in tham thar hills.
>
> The question is... can I ski AND go biking at this time of year? I guess
> there must be biking in Moab all year round, but what is there by way of
> riding in the Salt Lake area?
>
> Currently planning on packing skis and my Spesh Stumpy FSR, and extremely
> excited by it all.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated
> Cheers
> Tim

Depends on the weather. (Duh.)

March is usually cold and wet - unsettled. But last March we had an 80
degree heat wave that robbed us of our snowpack. April is better, with
at least as many nice days as cold/wet days.

Regardless, you won't be riding the mountains before June. Foothills,
yes. Antelope & Stansbury Islands, yes. There's some good riding to be
had unless you jones for heights. Come to think of it, the islands are
quite high by non-Rocky Mountain standards.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Tim Howes said:
Hi
I'm heading to Salt Lake City for all of March and April, working on a
hospital placement, but obviously the major motive lies in tham thar hills.

The question is... can I ski AND go biking at this time of year? I guess
there must be biking in Moab all year round, but what is there by way of
riding in the Salt Lake area?

Currently planning on packing skis and my Spesh Stumpy FSR, and extremely
excited by it all.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
Tim

If you find a hill without snow, it will most likely have a lot of mud.
To even get to the trails that i usually ride I would have to ride 10 miles uphill street (road is closed till may) just to reach the trailhead, which is buried under snow.
That's Utah county. Maybe you'll have better luck in Salt lake county.