Riding in Utah

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tim Howes, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. Tim Howes

    Tim Howes Guest

    Hi
    I'm heading to Salt Lake City for all of March and April, working on a
    hospital placement, but obviously the major motive lies in tham thar hills.

    The question is... can I ski AND go biking at this time of year? I guess
    there must be biking in Moab all year round, but what is there by way of
    riding in the Salt Lake area?

    Currently planning on packing skis and my Spesh Stumpy FSR, and extremely
    excited by it all.

    Any advice would be much appreciated
    Cheers
    Tim

    Tags:

  2. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Tim Howes wrote:
    > Hi
    > I'm heading to Salt Lake City for all of March and April, working on a
    > hospital placement, but obviously the major motive lies in tham thar hills.
    >
    > The question is... can I ski AND go biking at this time of year? I guess
    > there must be biking in Moab all year round, but what is there by way of
    > riding in the Salt Lake area?
    >
    > Currently planning on packing skis and my Spesh Stumpy FSR, and extremely
    > excited by it all.
    >
    > Any advice would be much appreciated
    > Cheers
    > Tim

    Depends on the weather. (Duh.)

    March is usually cold and wet - unsettled. But last March we had an 80
    degree heat wave that robbed us of our snowpack. April is better, with
    at least as many nice days as cold/wet days.

    Regardless, you won't be riding the mountains before June. Foothills,
    yes. Antelope & Stansbury Islands, yes. There's some good riding to be
    had unless you jones for heights. Come to think of it, the islands are
    quite high by non-Rocky Mountain standards.

    "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
    a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
    them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
    could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
    instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

  3. Mr_Kingkillaha

    Mr_Kingkillaha New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2004
    If you find a hill without snow, it will most likely have a lot of mud.
    To even get to the trails that i usually ride I would have to ride 10 miles uphill street (road is closed till may) just to reach the trailhead, which is buried under snow.
    That's Utah county. Maybe you'll have better luck in Salt lake county.