Riding in wet weather

G

G'day.

I was planning on an 85km ride today, but unfortunately it has started pissing down with rain.

I still want to get a good exercise though, what does everyone else do when it starts to rain?

Stay indoors? Brave the wet and hit the road? Go to the gym?

I was also planning to go to the Swartkops race track in Pta (about 25min. drive from Sandton) and now it wet wet wet. :'(

Suppose with this and winter around the corner it's time to invest in a indoor trainer. Can anyone recommend a good trainer without paying an arm and a leg?

G'day.I still want to get a good exercise though, what does everyone else do when it starts to rain?

Simply put, when it rains, this big hairy gorilla rides. In fact, I have been known to go riding on certain days only BECAUSE it was raining (like Good Friday of this year). I actually prefer it to sunny weather.

Prefer it to sunny weather??

I don't mind riding in light rain, but the other day we had over 60mm in the morning.. it was absolutely pouring. I would never go out in that sort of weather.

After coming off around a corner in the rain I'm a little cautious.

Prefer it to sunny weather??

I don't mind riding in light rain, but the other day we had over 60mm in the morning.. it was absolutely pouring. I would never go out in that sort of weather.

Yeah, I've done that sort of weather lots of times. Before the current drought it the Gold Coast, we used to get some serious tropical downpours. Of course, one does have to be careful on the corners (and especially roundabouts), but around here you have to do that anyway.

And having ridden in temps of 47 degrees C, I really don't mind downpours that much.

I've got this "deal" with myself. If i can start "dry" , I ride. I dont start if it's raining. Sometimes you can smell and see the rain, but thats OK, by the time it hit you, you dont care about the weather. The hardest part of any training is the start. Ask runners, they will tell you the hardest part is to put on the tekkies, once that's done they will do their running. Weather is a excuse for not going out training. But must admit, without "glow" clothing or lights on the bike, you're looking for trouble. Good luck and dont let a wet road keep you off your bike. I've got the Mag-Turbo spinner and it works like a bom. Heavy on tyres, lot of sweating but I moved that to the garage and kept the one door open. I put a telephone directory under the front wheel (lift about 80mm). If you dont do that, you will feel the pain in your lower back after 20 min.

Yes, the trainer can really be heavy on the tires. I use a Magturbo trainer too. Works well, and is relatively cheap. I got mine for around $80 USD. I use it around 3-4 times a week since I prefer riding indoors than in the streets. Weekends, I ride in a closed course and give the trainer a rest.

Ozzult. I'm in sunny South Africa but originally from the UK. And I don't ever, not ever, want to ride in cold wet rain (or snow) ever again! ;D Been there, done that! ;D

Hi guys, I had different red lights before and it always looks as if its not bright enough. About a week ago I bought this product from RYDER . It got 5 very, very sharp laser lights. 2 Options to set,flicker or stay red. A set of batteries last 200hours (included in the bax). Price R70 (about 6$). this is the best

I have the cateye version of the Ryder's. The bright lights are LED's (light emitting diodes) and they consume very little power, hence the long battery life. Good stuff indeed.