riding longer miles

cldpsu

Nov 2, 2003
i ilve in monaca pennsylvania... its very hilly here, rarely do you ride on flat ground for a significant amount of time. There are always short little climbs and descents or big ones... i haven't been cycling for long but i do about 15-25 miles whenever i go out... if i were to try to do 60 miles or something.. would i have to find another place to ride? or just take the same route just much slower? i think the reason i do so little miles is cuz there are a lot of climbs and im just not good enough to do 60 miles of climbs. Maybe you guys have the answer =)

There is no reason you can't do 60 mi. in hill country. Just take it easy for the first half or three fourths of the ride, depending on your fitness level, and build momentum to the finish. As you do longer and longer rides your body will learn and become accustomed to the riggors and stresses of them. Read up on nutrition, you will need to replace glycogen throughout the ride.

Good luck...

Originally posted by cldpsu
i ilve in monaca pennsylvania... its very hilly here, rarely do you ride on flat ground for a significant amount of time. There are always short little climbs and descents or big ones... i haven't been cycling for long but i do about 15-25 miles whenever i go out... if i were to try to do 60 miles or something.. would i have to find another place to ride? or just take the same route just much slower? i think the reason i do so little miles is cuz there are a lot of climbs and im just not good enough to do 60 miles of climbs. Maybe you guys have the answer =)
------------------------

You can do it.

Take he hills slow and build up. Like anything else, you will not get there overnight. You could maintain a specific ride over several days (or even a few weeks). Time yourself at certain landmarks, this will alow you to see the progress you'll make (and if you are out there regularly, you will see progress). You'll make it to the top of the hill in say five mins an by the tenth ride you see yourself cutting that ime down to 3:30 or 3:45. After you see your durations drop down as your speeds increase, then start to increase the overall length of the ride a bit. Then hold the length for several rides before increasing the length further.

Years ago, I used to get 30-35 hilly miles a day. I then started to race the Bloomsburg 50 in bloomsburg Pa, which was more hilly than my normal rides. It also had a very steep couple of miles up the main mountain, which most of the field got off and walked. I actually was stuck in third gear one year and grinded it to the top.

I now get the 30's in once or twice a week in a very flat area, it sucks, I miss my hills and sometimes go back to the old nieghborhood and let my legs sting for a few hours, it's beautiful,

Grind the gears baby, Hills are king, appreciate them while you can.

C'Rider:D

After a while, you're going to stop wondering whether you can do it. Instead, you will feel the urge. Then you'll know you're ready.

After a while, you will stop wondering whether you can do it. Instead, you will feel the urge to do it. Then you will know you're ready.

After a while, you will stop wondering whether you can do it. Instead, you will feel the urge to do it. Then you will know you're ready.

After a while, you will lose your uncertainty and feel the urge to ride. Then you will know you're ready for that 60 miler.

Originally posted by gntlmn

gntlmn, keep rackin' up the posts like that and you'll be a senior member in no time at all.

:D :D :D

sorry. I kept resubmitting because it wasn't posting. But now I see it was...oops!