Riding makes me sick

Dave Pace

Aug 3, 2012
Well I am of the older mind that if you are sick you work through it and you will feel better at the end of the day. Well I knew for the past few days I was starting to come down with a cold. Today I woke up and really felt bad, but I decided to push through it and go out on a 30 mile ride. Well as soon as I got done and got off the bike I felt chest congestion just start (BTW that is the first time that I really felt that since I quit smoking 6+ months ago. Just saying) and then the coughing started. Went upstairs and got my shower and then I have been asleep for the last 5 hours.

So I guess if you want the cold to really get going go for a nice ride. I hope that it will go away just as quick. Tues - Fri is suppose to be nice so I can ride to work.

On the positive side, I found out that I have to sit further back in the seat/saddle so that my tailbone does not hurt.

An easy ride in moderate weather followed by all the sleep your body wants--best cure I can think of.

Dave Pace said:
Well I am of the older mind that if you are sick you work through it and you will feel better at the end of the day. Well I knew for the past few days I was starting to come down with a cold. Today I woke up and really felt bad, but I decided to push through it and go out on a 30 mile ride. Well as soon as I got done and got off the bike I felt chest congestion just start (BTW that is the first time that I really felt that since I quit smoking 6+ months ago. Just saying) and then the coughing started. Went upstairs and got my shower and then I have been asleep for the last 5 hours.  So I guess if you want the cold to really get going go for a nice ride. I hope that it will go away just as quick. Tues - Fri is suppose to be nice so I can ride to work. 
If it is indeed a cold, you'll be stuck with it for the typical 5-7 days. If you're up to it, moderate or casual rides can boost your immune system. You might want to avoid high intensity rides, though, until the cold is gone, because high intensity exercise can weaken your immune system.

Colds...I ride thru them.

The flu or a fever, not so much. Coming down with something, I was always told to take a break. After you got it? Might as well train thru it.

Well looks like tomorrow Ill be back out on the bike. What ever this nasty little bug was it hits hard and runs away just as fast. If you get it here is what you can expect.

sneezing about 3 days prior to getting sick.
the night of getting sick you will feel the rawness in your throat.
Day of getting sick. You will feel off, and your throat will be raw, and your sinus will start going haywire. You will feel the Chest congestion and have to cough a few times if you do any kind of workout. By the end of the day you will just want to go home and sleep. nothing more or less.
next day you will just want to sleep, but the Hot cold flashes will happen like you are running a fever but you will not be,
day 3 you will feel light headed and dizzy. I really felt like I had a few shots of Whiskey in me as I was just feeling that kind of dizzy, and out of it. But at the end of the night I was feeling better and I also could not get to sleep right away as I had all kinds of Energy from the rest that I took the past couple of days.
Day 4. Feel a lot better. Had some sneezing and the nose is kind of runny but not to bad. Kind of drowsy but nothing that a cup of coffee cant fix.

1 thing I did not loose my appetite at all. In fact I actually felt hungrier all the time. So the wife got me V8 and I drank that all the times that I wanted to eat something.

tomorrow I ride to work. No rain in the forecast and the temps will be in the 50s so should be a good ride to work.

Just thought I should let you all know what is coming your way.

With a cold, one never knows if there may be a flu virus in your system.

I have always been told that it is really dangerous to ride under these conditions.

Originally Posted by WillemJM .

With a cold, one never knows if there may be a flu virus in your system.

I have always been told that it is really dangerous to ride under these conditions.
I was told both by Diffrent people. Of course my old high school Football coach and My boss would always tell me work through a cold and you will get better sooner. Then you have my mother. Ugg we all know how mothers can be.

I find that I will do what my body feels it can do. I hate listen to the doctors on stuff like what to and not to eat, and what to and not to do when you are sick. I have always felt that your body will tell you what you should or should not do. Or can or can not do.

I find the coughing part of the flu is the most difficult part in regards to cycling. I usually get a cough for about 2-3 weeks and if I go out even for a moderate ride, I end up having coughing fits and it just makes it impossible to ride. So I usually have to rest, which is such a pain as you lose so much fitness.

I find the coughing part of the flu is the most difficult part in regards to cycling. I usually get a cough for about 2-3 weeks and if I go out even for a moderate ride, I end up having coughing fits and it just makes it impossible to ride. So I usually have to rest, which is such a pain as you lose so much fitness.

Originally Posted by notanotherhill .

Interesting. I can handle the coughing. The Sneezing, even if I am not sick drives me up a wall though. I just can not stand it.

If it is just a sniff, I find that cycling can help clear the system however if it is anywhere near the lungs, best to rest.