riding, migraines and beta blockers

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by jamest, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. jamest

    jamest Guest

    Any other cyling migraineurs taking beta blockers? I tolerate them
    pretty well and can still go fast despite not getting my heartrate up
    to where it would otherwise be. After being on and off them over recent
    years, I do notice that I tend to get a migraine the day following a
    hard ride while I'm taking them. Anyone else have any experiences to
    share? I'm wondering if shifting the time I take a dose relative to my
    ride time might help things.

    Tags:

  2. "jamest" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Any other cyling migraineurs taking beta blockers? I tolerate them
    > pretty well and can still go fast despite not getting my heartrate up
    > to where it would otherwise be. After being on and off them over recent
    > years, I do notice that I tend to get a migraine the day following a
    > hard ride while I'm taking them. Anyone else have any experiences to
    > share? I'm wondering if shifting the time I take a dose relative to my
    > ride time might help things.

    James,

    This may be a dumb question, but are you sure your cycling migraines aren't
    allergy related? That's what mine turned out to be.

    -Philip

  3. jamest wrote:
    > Any other cyling migraineurs taking beta blockers? I tolerate them
    > pretty well and can still go fast despite not getting my heartrate up
    > to where it would otherwise be. After being on and off them over recent
    > years, I do notice that I tend to get a migraine the day following a
    > hard ride while I'm taking them. Anyone else have any experiences to
    > share?

    Yes on both points for beta blockers. I am now on ACE inhibitors and things
    go a bit better but I still occasionally get migraines after a hard ride.
    At least the new therapy has a lesser impact on biking (beta blockers really
    got me down).

    Ciao,
    --
    Roberto Divia` Love at first sight is one of the greatest
    Dep:pH Bat:53 Mailbox:C02110 labour-saving devices the world has ever seen

  5. jamest wrote:
    > Any other cyling migraineurs taking beta blockers? I tolerate them

    [...]
    > ride time might help things.

    I tend to get mirgaines every now and then after a hard race or a long
    training ride. I did consult a neurologist about that a while ago, but
    he didn't think that beta blockers would be a good idea because they
    tend to affect performance, as you know. I've learnt to avoid them by
    making sure that my blood sugar level is as constant and stable as
    possible. It doesn't always work and sometimes it's been a really
    horrible car ride back home after a race. If you have any great ideas on
    this, I sure would be grateful to hear about them.

  6. h squared

    h squared Guest

    Juho Huttunen wrote:

    > It doesn't always work and sometimes it's been a really
    > horrible car ride back home after a race. If you have any great ideas on
    > this, I sure would be grateful to hear about them.

    have you tried taking otc pain medication before a race, just in case
    you do get a migraine after? (i don't know if this would help at all,
    especially don't know how it would handle the "wonderful" migraine
    nausea, but it seems worth a try :)

    i get a migraine somewhere between twice a month to once every two
    months, depending on how "lucky" i am. they're pretty horrible, but at a
    low enough frequency that i'm not willing to take pills every day to
    prevent them yet.

    heather

  7. On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:07:10 -0800, h squared
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Juho Huttunen wrote:
    >

    >> It doesn't always work and sometimes it's been a really
    >> horrible car ride back home after a race. If you have any great ideas on
    >> this, I sure would be grateful to hear about them.

    >have you tried taking otc pain medication before a race, just in case
    >you do get a migraine after? (i don't know if this would help at all,
    >especially don't know how it would handle the "wonderful" migraine
    >nausea, but it seems worth a try :)
    >
    >i get a migraine somewhere between twice a month to once every two
    >months, depending on how "lucky" i am. they're pretty horrible, but at a
    >low enough frequency that i'm not willing to take pills every day to
    >prevent them yet.
    >
    >heather

    It could be stress. I relieve mine by walking around and screaming at
    mimes, "Speak up, goddammit!", then hitting them with my shillelagh.
    It doesn't really get rid of the headache, but all the free drinks at
    the bars help cover it up.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  8. Juho Huttunen wrote:

    > jamest wrote:
    >
    >> Any other cyling migraineurs taking beta blockers? I tolerate them

    > [...]
    >
    >> ride time might help things.

    > I tend to get mirgaines every now and then after a hard race or a long
    > training ride. I did consult a neurologist about that a while ago, but
    > he didn't think that beta blockers would be a good idea because they
    > tend to affect performance, as you know. I've learnt to avoid them by
    > making sure that my blood sugar level is as constant and stable as
    > possible. It doesn't always work and sometimes it's been a really
    > horrible car ride back home after a race. If you have any great ideas on
    > this, I sure would be grateful to hear about them.

    I used to get headaches after rides, esp. in the early season when my
    fitness was poor. I don't know that they strictly qualified as
    migraines, though they were usually one-sided and it felt like my
    eyeball was gonna roll outta my head.
    I concluded as you did, that it was a drop in blood sugar.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  9. Me

    Me Guest

    On 11/22/05 9:27 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Philip W. Moore, Jr."
    <philip_w[email protected]> wrote:

    > "jamest" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Any other cyling migraineurs taking beta blockers? I tolerate them
    >> pretty well and can still go fast despite not getting my heartrate up
    >> to where it would otherwise be. After being on and off them over recent
    >> years, I do notice that I tend to get a migraine the day following a
    >> hard ride while I'm taking them. Anyone else have any experiences to
    >> share? I'm wondering if shifting the time I take a dose relative to my
    >> ride time might help things.
    >>

    > James,
    >
    > This may be a dumb question, but are you sure your cycling migraines aren't
    > allergy related? That's what mine turned out to be.
    >
    > -Philip

    Philip,
    You ARE a migraine

  10. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <BFAA4099.16CA27%[email protected]>, Me <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 11/22/05 9:27 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "Philip W. Moore, Jr."
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > James,
    > >
    > > This may be a dumb question, but are you sure your cycling migraines aren't
    > > allergy related? That's what mine turned out to be.
    > >
    > > -Philip

    > Philip,
    > You ARE a migraine

    I guess that makes you genital herpes.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    The sheriff is near...

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  11. On 11/22/2005 09:49 PM, in article
    [email protected], "jamest"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Any other cyling migraineurs taking beta blockers? I tolerate them
    > pretty well and can still go fast despite not getting my heartrate up
    > to where it would otherwise be. After being on and off them over recent
    > years, I do notice that I tend to get a migraine the day following a
    > hard ride while I'm taking them. Anyone else have any experiences to
    > share? I'm wondering if shifting the time I take a dose relative to my
    > ride time might help things.

    I take Neurontin on a daily basis (300 mg AM, 600 mg PM), and Relpax when I
    start getting auras or feeling the throbbing behind my right eyeball.

    No noticeable negative effect to my already miserable performance on the
    bike.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    Juho Huttunen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > jamest wrote:
    > > Any other cyling migraineurs taking beta blockers? I tolerate them

    > [...]
    > > ride time might help things.

    > I tend to get mirgaines every now and then after a hard race or a long
    > training ride. I did consult a neurologist about that a while ago, but
    > he didn't think that beta blockers would be a good idea because they
    > tend to affect performance, as you know. I've learnt to avoid them by
    > making sure that my blood sugar level is as constant and stable as
    > possible. It doesn't always work and sometimes it's been a really
    > horrible car ride back home after a race. If you have any great ideas on
    > this, I sure would be grateful to hear about them.

    Not all head pain is migraine. A reliable diagnosis may be
    indicated. The proximate cause of migraine is dilation of
    blood vessel causing swelling of surrounding tissue
    including nerve endings causing production of and
    transmission to the brain of pain signals. The distal
    cause or causes remain a mystery. Serotonin and a
    particular serotonin receptor are theorized to be
    involved.

    --
    Michael Press

  13. jamest wrote:
    > Any other cyling migraineurs taking beta blockers? I tolerate them
    > pretty well and can still go fast despite not getting my heartrate up
    > to where it would otherwise be. After being on and off them over recent
    > years, I do notice that I tend to get a migraine the day following a
    > hard ride while I'm taking them. Anyone else have any experiences to
    > share? I'm wondering if shifting the time I take a dose relative to my
    > ride time might help things.

    Dumbass -

    Are you a Masters Fattie?

    I tried to get a friend of mine to prescribe me beta blockers to help
    with some public speaking anxiety and he wouldn't do it because my
    blood pressure was too low.

    It seems as if the only people who should use those things are couch
    potatoes.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  14. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    h squared wrote:
    > Juho Huttunen wrote:
    >

    >> It doesn't always work and sometimes it's been a really
    >> horrible car ride back home after a race. If you have any great ideas
    >> on this, I sure would be grateful to hear about them.

    > have you tried taking otc pain medication before a race, just in case
    > you do get a migraine after? (i don't know if this would help at all,
    > especially don't know how it would handle the "wonderful" migraine
    > nausea, but it seems worth a try :)
    >
    > i get a migraine somewhere between twice a month to once every two
    > months, depending on how "lucky" i am. they're pretty horrible, but at a
    > low enough frequency that i'm not willing to take pills every day to
    > prevent them yet.

    I was like you, occassional migranes but not enough to seek medication.
    I would get them a bit less frequently than you (except for one hellish
    week where I gave a grad school seminar in the grip of a migrane (second
    one in two days), and don't remember anything about it, but answered
    questions and led a discussion successfully) but despite looking for a
    trigger, I could never find one. Now that I live in Europe I don't get
    them. Once I go home for Xmas I expect to encounter the prewarning sign
    (I go blind except for peripheral vision for an hour before my head
    explodes) to lie down within the first few days, as a "welcome back" sign.

    I starting writing this message to give my two cents that no OTC
    medication, or codeine, would have a dent on my migraines after they had
    started, so I doubt that they would have an effect if taken before.

  15. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

    > I used to get headaches after rides, esp. in the early season when
    > my fitness was poor. I don't know that they strictly qualified as
    > migraines, though they were usually one-sided and it felt like my
    > eyeball was gonna roll outta my head.
    > I concluded as you did, that it was a drop in blood sugar.

    I've had those too. They always happen after a long, hard ride that
    stresses the fitness. I considered it was sugar, electrolyte and water
    imbalance. They don't qualify as migraines.

  16. Kyle Legate wrote:
    > Once I go home for Xmas I expect to encounter the prewarning sign
    > (I go blind except for peripheral vision for an hour before my head
    > explodes) to lie down within the first few days, as a "welcome back" sign.

    Does it happen on visits to either side of the family?

    --
    E. Dronkert

  17. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > Kyle Legate wrote:
    >
    >>Once I go home for Xmas I expect to encounter the prewarning sign
    >>(I go blind except for peripheral vision for an hour before my head
    >>explodes) to lie down within the first few days, as a "welcome back" sign.

    > Does it happen on visits to either side of the family?

    I'm the product of a broken home, so I only know one side of the family.

  18. h squared

    h squared Guest

    Kyle Legate wrote:
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    >

    >> I used to get headaches after rides, esp. in the early season when
    >> my fitness was poor. I don't know that they strictly qualified as
    >> migraines, though they were usually one-sided and it felt like my
    >> eyeball was gonna roll outta my head.
    >> I concluded as you did, that it was a drop in blood sugar.
    >>

    > I've had those too. They always happen after a long, hard ride that
    > stresses the fitness. I considered it was sugar, electrolyte and water
    > imbalance. They don't qualify as migraines.

    supposedly there are two types of migraines; classic and common. (pasted
    snip following):

    Migraines without Auras (Common Migraine)
    Definition of Migraine Without Auras. To be defined as a migraine
    without aura, a patient should have at least five attacks that have the
    following characteristics:

    A. Each untreated, or unsuccessfully treated, attack must last four to
    73 hours.

    B. It must have at least two of the following four qualities:

    * Pain on one side of the head.

    * Pulsing or throbbing pain.

    * The pain must be severe enough to impair or prevent daily activities.

    * The pain must be intensified by exertion, such as walking up stairs.

    C. During a headache at least one of the following symptoms also be present:

    * Nausea, vomiting or both.

    * Sensitivity to light and noise.

    Definition of Migraines with Auras. To be defined as a migraine with
    aura, the patients must have at least two attacks that have three out of
    four of the following events.

    * One or more fully reversible aura symptom suggests to the
    physician that they originate in the cerebral cortex or brain stem.

    * At least one aura symptom develops gradually over more than four
    minutes or two or more aura symptoms occur in succession.

    * No single aura symptom lasts more than an hour. (There may be
    successive aura symptoms, however, that extend that time, but each one
    should not last more than 60 minutes.)

    * The headache itself may begin before, at the same time, or at an
    interval of no more than an hour after the hour.

    more here:
    http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_headache_000097_1.htm

    common migraine heather

  19. h squared

    h squared Guest

    Kyle Legate wrote:

    > I starting writing this message to give my two cents that no OTC
    > medication, or codeine, would have a dent on my migraines after they had
    > started, so I doubt that they would have an effect if taken before.

    i think it may depend on the individual person and the severity of the
    migraine whether they work or not. it sounds like you are definitely in
    the "severe" category :( i'm afraid of developing rebound headaches, so
    i rarely experiment with otc pain relievers, but this site claims that
    some of them work for at least some migraineurs.
    http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articl...edies_treating_a_migraine_attack_000097_7.htm

    and to me codeine is a joke, i won't even accept a prescription for it.
    i have no idea if it works on pain, because i'm so busy vomiting or
    feeling sick to my stomach when i take it that i don't pay any attention
    to anything else, so in a way, i *guess* it's effective, yay...

    heather

  20. "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BFAA4099.16CA27%[email protected]
    > On 11/22/05 9:27 PM, in article

    > Philip,
    > You ARE a migraine

    Me,

    Thank you. As a lawyer, I've been called worse, albeit in person and not
    anonymously.

    -Philip