Riding my first Randonee, tire recommendations please?

PeterF

Sep 13, 2004
I have signed up for a 100k ride in Western Massachusetts called the D2R2 (Deerfield Dirt Road Randonee)in August. My plan is to use my cycle cross bike with the easiest gearing I can put together (34/26 or 29 will be my easiest gear). I own some 26mm road-training tire and I own some 30mm Michelin Sprint cross tires, which are have some knobs on the edges, but they are really dry road tires (I race cross on some fatter 35mm Ritchey Pros).

My question for those familiar with this race (or this type of race) is what would be a good tire clincher tire choice. I am not against buying something in between (I wouldn't mind some fat 27 or 28mm road tires for winter) but would the 30mm cross tires be a better choice. OR should I go with road tires, either my 26mm ones or something a little bigger?

The course description states:

Bicycles should be equipped with triple gearing and slightly wider tires (i.e. 25c-32c). Road conditions range from smooth clay to stony washout and puddles.

If it helps, I'm about 230 lbs. so I tend to prefer fatter (like me). Thanks.

We have a small college near by that has a five level parking garage.
It is not used on the weekends and makes a nice place to ride.
Enough flat to get some speed and some ramps to give the old
ticker a work out.

The first time I went there security checked me out and said it
was fine to ride there and they were just doing their job. I am
glad they keep an eye on it, it makes me feel a bit safer there.

There are speed bumps in the middle but with no cars I ride the
outer part to keep up my speed.

Look around, you may have something like it near you.

[COLOR= #0000ff]BHOFM, what a great idea! I would only do that if security guards were there, anyway; as a woman, being alone in a parking garage with people you don't know is one of the scarier things in life. But I was wondering what to do when it rains, which it does a lot here in the winter, and you may have just provided the answer.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff](I know some purists would probably say just ride in the rain; but as blind as I am, you don't want me out there on a bike if my glasses get wet and I can't see, lol.) [/COLOR]

The building is open on all sides and there is parking on the roof, top of the building as well. There is 24/7 security on
the campus and we live in an area where you really don't feel threatened.

I worked with the DEA for several years and have made some enemies along the way so I do carry a gun most of the
time. Kimber carries one as well. I was not a DEA officer, my career as a photographer was put to use in surveillance
work.

I think everyone should carry pepper spray or something equivalent.

Do some checking before riding in any enclosed building and alway
have your phone at hand.