Riding on a trainer twice a day

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by DreamBig, Jul 21, 2013.

1. DreamBig

DreamBig New Member

I used to ride outdoors all the time no matter what the weather's like. However, due to life and growing up and having a baby, I don't have as much time anymore. So, I'm forced to ride my trainer most of the time. I have the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine which I like a lot. So, what I'm going to be doing is do 30 minutes of Z3 work in the morning as soon as I wake up every day, and I'm also going to do 20 minutes of Z3-Z4 at night on days that I feel pretty good.
    Purpose of my riding is to staying fit, and do some crits and short road races from March-July. I used to ride cat 3, and I've taken few years off of the bike, so I'll start racing in cat 4 next season. Since, I'll be racing in cat 4 and cat 3, I figure with my training schedule, I should be able to hang on no problem in the race, but finishing strong maybe in an issue with lack of endurance.

So, I guess I just wanted some discussion with experiences of people who train mostly on trainer instead of on the road.

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

well the rule of thumb is to do the hard stuff before the other, the total of 50 minutes a day on the trainer is quite realistic given your other commitments and family, i guess you should go out on a group ride with people active in racing just to see where are you exactly after those years off the bike, provided that you didn't gain too much weight then you shouldn't be too far behind,

3. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I ride my trainers a lot. My workhorse trainer is a CompuTrainer ergometer, but I also have a Tacx Swing for race warmups and for NMP sessions. I can do everything on my trainers, including NMP efforts. In fact, I can do the same max 5s power on my Tacx Swing as I can do on the road. Trainers are extremely efficient. My typical session is an L4 effort with a 5min warmup followed by anything from 10min to 120min L4 efforts. In general, my high-intensity efforts as a percentage of total time on the bike are significantly higher on my trainer than on the road. But, I can program absolutely any effort on my CT, from TTs with a variable power pacing strategy to crits to VO2MAX and AWC efforts. I have also gone a long way toward making my trainer room tolerable for hours on end. I have a good fan, flat screen TV, good sound system, Apple TV, Netflix, and a table to put water, coffee, my remote controls, a laptop computer, etc. The only thing missing is an altitude trainer so I can do my training rides at 10K feet. That's next. The bottom line is that if you can tolerate the mental discipline challenge, you can do everything on trainers, and more efficiently than on the road.

4. DreamBig

DreamBig New Member

Sounds great. I'm going to do my second session!