Riding on an empty stomach

Ken C. M.

Guest
I have come to the certain conclusion that this is a bad thing. I have
done it a couple of times now, and have not had a very good experience
with it. This morning I had time. I got up made a cup of coffee,
checked email and such, and the weather wasn't perfect but not raining
and not to chilly. So I headed out for a /fast/ ride. I have a route
that is not too long, long enough where I can get a decent workout. Its
about 12 miles and I can usually average 15.5 mph or so. Today managed
16.0 mph but when I got home my stomach was not liking the ride, or more
correctly stated not like the ride on an empty stomach.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without

I much prefer to ride on an empty stomach and eat either during or after.
different strokes.

Ken C. M. wrote:
:: I have come to the certain conclusion that this is a bad thing. I
:: have done it a couple of times now, and have not had a very good
:: experience with it. This morning I had time. I got up made a cup of
:: coffee, checked email and such, and the weather wasn't perfect but
:: not raining and not to chilly. So I headed out for a /fast/ ride. I
:: have a route that is not too long, long enough where I can get a
:: decent workout. Its about 12 miles and I can usually average 15.5
:: mph or so. Today managed
:: 16.0 mph but when I got home my stomach was not liking the ride, or
:: more correctly stated not like the ride on an empty stomach.
::
:: Ken
:: --

Roger Zoul wrote:
> I much prefer to ride on an empty stomach and eat either during or after.
> different strokes.

I guess it really depends on the intensity of the ride, Roger, I can
ride at a slower pace ride the same route and average 14.5 to 15.0 on an
empty stomach and it won't bother me. But if I turn up the intensity
like I did this morning I experience a definite discomfort.

Ken
--

Ken C. M. wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: I much prefer to ride on an empty stomach and eat either during or
::: after. different strokes.
:::
::
:: I guess it really depends on the intensity of the ride, Roger, I can
:: ride at a slower pace ride the same route and average 14.5 to 15.0
:: on an empty stomach and it won't bother me. But if I turn up the
:: intensity like I did this morning I experience a definite discomfort.

I can ride easy after eating, but not hard. If I want to ride hard, I need
to make sure i'm fully glycogen loaded in the muscles, but I definitely
don't want a full belly. Of course, I don't need to feel as if I'm
straving, either. If I eat a good carby meal at dinner, I can ride hard
(after a warm up) the morning after.

I'm not really sure of what discomfort you're describing. Do you feel bad
in your stomach (as in hungry) after a hard ride?

Ken C. M. wrote:
> I have come to the certain conclusion that this is a bad thing. I have
> done it a couple of times now, and have not had a very good experience
> with it. This morning I had time. I got up made a cup of coffee,
> checked email and such, and the weather wasn't perfect but not raining
> and not to chilly. So I headed out for a /fast/ ride. I have a route
> that is not too long, long enough where I can get a decent workout. Its
> about 12 miles and I can usually average 15.5 mph or so. Today managed
> 16.0 mph but when I got home my stomach was not liking the ride, or more
> correctly stated not like the ride on an empty stomach.
>
> Ken
> --
> The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
> old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
> shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong

You bonked out. You stomach ran out of food to metabolize and your body
had to switch to stored fat to fuel your cycling. Sometimes your body
will continue to attempt to metabolize food you don't have which can
lead to a slight feeling of nausea. Some people bonk train on purpose,
I do sometimes, to burn more fat and improve endurance. The idea is to
head out on an empty stomach, cycling at 60% max for about an hour
(never more than 90mins, or so I've read). In theory your body will be
burning stored fat while you ride.

It's a training program that must be approached with caution as it can
have negative side effects, like your body will begin to burn muscle
mass if you ride for too long without food.

If you do want to bonk train always eat something as soon as you get
home, preferably something with protein.

If you don't, always grab a small bit before you go ride.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Ken C. M. wrote:
> :: Roger Zoul wrote:
> ::: I much prefer to ride on an empty stomach and eat either during or
> ::: after. different strokes.
> :::
> ::
> :: I guess it really depends on the intensity of the ride, Roger, I can
> :: ride at a slower pace ride the same route and average 14.5 to 15.0
> :: on an empty stomach and it won't bother me. But if I turn up the
> :: intensity like I did this morning I experience a definite discomfort.
>
> I can ride easy after eating, but not hard. If I want to ride hard, I need
> to make sure i'm fully glycogen loaded in the muscles, but I definitely
> don't want a full belly. Of course, I don't need to feel as if I'm
> straving, either. If I eat a good carby meal at dinner, I can ride hard
> (after a warm up) the morning after.
>
> I'm not really sure of what discomfort you're describing. Do you feel bad
> in your stomach (as in hungry) after a hard ride?

Well by riding on an empty stomach, I mean pretty much just that EMPTY,
expect for a cup of coffee I had while checking email. I wouldn't try a
real hard ride on a full stomach either, just a little something, like
my morning bagel probably, which I skipped, probably wouldn't have
bothered me much, but would have been enough where I wouldn't have
experienced the discomfort. And by discomfort I mean a sort of upset /
hungry feeling that quickly went away after eating my morning bagel
after the ride.

Ken
--

Marz wrote:
> Ken C. M. wrote:
>> I have come to the certain conclusion that this is a bad thing. I have
>> done it a couple of times now, and have not had a very good experience
>> with it. This morning I had time. I got up made a cup of coffee,
>> checked email and such, and the weather wasn't perfect but not raining
>> and not to chilly. So I headed out for a /fast/ ride. I have a route
>> that is not too long, long enough where I can get a decent workout. Its
>> about 12 miles and I can usually average 15.5 mph or so. Today managed
>> 16.0 mph but when I got home my stomach was not liking the ride, or more
>> correctly stated not like the ride on an empty stomach.
>>
>> Ken
>> --
>> The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
>> old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
>> shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong

> You bonked out. You stomach ran out of food to metabolize and your body
> had to switch to stored fat to fuel your cycling. Sometimes your body
> will continue to attempt to metabolize food you don't have which can
> lead to a slight feeling of nausea. Some people bonk train on purpose,
> I do sometimes, to burn more fat and improve endurance. The idea is to
> head out on an empty stomach, cycling at 60% max for about an hour
> (never more than 90mins, or so I've read). In theory your body will be
> burning stored fat while you ride.

Yeah that /slight feeling of nausea/ is sort of how I would describe it.
That and a hungry feeling combined. I have heard that term /bonked out/
before but never really understood what was meant by it.

> It's a training program that must be approached with caution as it can
> have negative side effects, like your body will begin to burn muscle
> mass if you ride for too long without food.

Which is why after a moderate to intense ride, usually have a whey
protein shake. I have heard that protein is very important to build and
maintaining muscle mass.

> If you do want to bonk train always eat something as soon as you get
> home, preferably something with protein.

See above.

Thats pretty interesting info. I clearly did not like the feeling. I
have experienced it before, and it's not a very good feeling.

Ken
--

Ken C. M. wrote:
:: Marz wrote:
::: Ken C. M. wrote:
:::: I have come to the certain conclusion that this is a bad thing. I
:::: have done it a couple of times now, and have not had a very good
:::: experience with it. This morning I had time. I got up made a cup
:::: of coffee, checked email and such, and the weather wasn't perfect
:::: but not raining and not to chilly. So I headed out for a /fast/
:::: ride. I have a route that is not too long, long enough where I can
:::: get a decent workout. Its about 12 miles and I can usually average
:::: 15.5 mph or so. Today managed
:::: 16.0 mph but when I got home my stomach was not liking the ride,
:::: or more correctly stated not like the ride on an empty stomach.
::::
:::: Ken
:::: --
[...]

Bonked out is what happens when you deplete glycogen stores from the muscles
and liver. It's not just that you're hungry or out of energy, because you
body has plenty of energy stored. Simply eating the wrong foods (like on a
low-carb diet) or starting in a glycogen-depeted state can lead to bonking
out quickly if you do the right kind of activity. Frankly, I don't think you
bonked out, as when you do you're so lacking in energy that it's even hard
to pedal.

::
::: It's a training program that must be approached with caution as it
::: can have negative side effects, like your body will begin to burn
::: muscle mass if you ride for too long without food.
:::
:: Which is why after a moderate to intense ride, usually have a whey
:: protein shake. I have heard that protein is very important to build
:: and maintaining muscle mass.

For recovery, a 4-to-1 ratio of carbs to protein is claimed to be good.

::
::: If you do want to bonk train always eat something as soon as you get
::: home, preferably something with protein.
:::
:: See above.
::
:: Thats pretty interesting info. I clearly did not like the feeling. I
:: have experienced it before, and it's not a very good feeling.

You can store about 2000 kcals of glycogen in your muscles, so it is
possible to ride a good long way and hard before bonking. However, it
really does depend on your daily diet and the type of activity you do. A
good carby meal the night before can prevent bonking provided you don't ride
too hard for too long. Intensity and duration both play a part in the
equation. Ride easy and you're tend not to use much glycogen (and you can
go longer without bonking). Ride hard and you use more (which brings on the
bonk quicker). Ride easy and you tend to use more fat for fuel. Ride hard
and you tend to use less fat for fuel. The body sort of has a sliding
scale - hard <--> glycogen, easy <--> fat, while engaged in exercise.

Eating something carby during your ride can help, too. That Gu stuff comes
to mind.

::
:: Ken
:: --

Roger Zoul wrote:
> [...]
> too hard for too long. Intensity and duration both play a part in the
> equation. Ride easy and you're tend not to use much glycogen (and you can
> go longer without bonking). Ride hard and you use more (which brings on the
> bonk quicker). Ride easy and you tend to use more fat for fuel. Ride hard
> and you tend to use less fat for fuel. The body sort of has a sliding
> scale - hard <--> glycogen, easy <--> fat, while engaged in exercise.
>
> Eating something carby during your ride can help, too. That Gu stuff comes
> to mind.
>

> ::
> :: Ken
> :: --
> :: The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it
> :: gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one
> :: without shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong

Well I guess without a medical exam by a medical professional, its hard
to say exactly what the feeling was, but in my experience, I don't ride
very well on an empty stomach, although thats not quite true, as 16mph
average on that route is one of my fastest recorded times for that ride.
But it was a nasty sort of feeling when I got home, and was definitely
glad when I had my protein shake and the morning bagel.

Ken
--

Ken C. M. wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: Ken C. M. wrote:
::::: Marz wrote:
:::::: Ken C. M. wrote:
::::::: I have come to the certain conclusion that this is a bad thing.
::::::: I have done it a couple of times now, and have not had a very
::::::: good experience with it. This morning I had time. I got up
::::::: made a cup of coffee, checked email and such, and the weather
::::::: wasn't perfect but not raining and not to chilly. So I headed
::::::: out for a /fast/ ride. I have a route that is not too long,
::::::: long enough where I can get a decent workout. Its about 12
::::::: miles and I can usually average
::::::: 15.5 mph or so. Today managed
::::::: 16.0 mph but when I got home my stomach was not liking the ride,
::::::: or more correctly stated not like the ride on an empty stomach.
:::::::
::::::: Ken
::::::: --
::::::: The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when
::::::: it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new
::::::: one without shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong
::::::
::::::
[...]
:::::
[...]
::::: --
::::: The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it
::::: gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one
::::: without shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong
:::
:::
::
:: Well I guess without a medical exam by a medical professional, its
:: hard to say exactly what the feeling was, but in my experience, I
:: don't ride very well on an empty stomach, although thats not quite
:: true, as 16mph average on that route is one of my fastest recorded
:: times for that ride. But it was a nasty sort of feeling when I got
:: home, and was definitely glad when I had my protein shake and the
:: morning bagel.
::

I would guess that perhaps you were drained in terms of your glycogen
stores, but you know your typical diet better than anyone. Fasting or
undereating for a few days or heavy exercise during the preceeding days
while not eating many carbs might have left you somewhat depleted. Who
knows for sure. Certainly, a carb hit prior to riding will give you more
go-juice!

I follow a low-carb diet during the week (I'm a type 2 diabetic) in winter
and always must have some carbs before, during, and after a ride (and my
rides almost always have some hard parts (hills & going fast on flats) and
some easy parts) to avoid the bonk. A piece of meat just won't work.

I find if I don't eat anything prior or during the ride, then I'm good for
about 30 miles before bonking. So if I'm not home before that point, I'll
bonk on the bike and getting home because a real struggle.

If your blood leaves your stomach to service the muscles why does that
matter? Get your electrolytes and H2O and your body will be happy. You may
be burning fuel you never burned before too. If you get overheated though
it compounds the heart's work so do everything safely in moderation. If I
eat an apple before I go I am not hungry for an hour cause my stomach does
not get a chance to complain. Your stomach does not get enough blood to do
any digesting.

SN

nash wrote:
> If your blood leaves your stomach to service the muscles why does that
> matter? Get your electrolytes and H2O and your body will be happy. You may
> be burning fuel you never burned before too. If you get overheated though
> it compounds the heart's work so do everything safely in moderation. If I
> eat an apple before I go I am not hungry for an hour cause my stomach does
> not get a chance to complain. Your stomach does not get enough blood to do
> any digesting.
>
> SN

I don't know why it happens. I am no doctor. Maybe it has something to
do with your stomach acids sloshing around with nothing in it. But like
I said I turned up the intensity, I can ride on an empty stomach at a
lower pace for much longer, 30 plus miles.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:29:18 -0500, "Ken C. M."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I don't know why it happens. I am no doctor. Maybe it has something to
>do with your stomach acids sloshing around with nothing in it. But like
>I said I turned up the intensity, I can ride on an empty stomach at a
>lower pace for much longer, 30 plus miles.

I've felt something like this first thing in the morning (doesn't
happen later in the day, in my case). It just feels like nausea. A
glass of orange juice works fine for me; my daughter felt the same
thing one morning, and half a yuppie candy bar (aka energy bar) let
her finish the ride.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Patrick Lamb wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:29:18 -0500, "Ken C. M."
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I don't know why it happens. I am no doctor. Maybe it has something to
>> do with your stomach acids sloshing around with nothing in it. But like
>> I said I turned up the intensity, I can ride on an empty stomach at a
>> lower pace for much longer, 30 plus miles.

> I've felt something like this first thing in the morning (doesn't
> happen later in the day, in my case). It just feels like nausea. A
> glass of orange juice works fine for me; my daughter felt the same
> thing one morning, and half a yuppie candy bar (aka energy bar) let
> her finish the ride.
>
> Pat
>
> Email address works as is.

Yeah, personally think it has to do something with stomach acids,
perhaps something in there to absorb or dilute them, doesn't have to be
much, just a little something.

Ken
--

Ken C. M. wrote:
> Patrick Lamb wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:29:18 -0500, "Ken C. M."
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I don't know why it happens. I am no doctor. Maybe it has something
>>> to do with your stomach acids sloshing around with nothing in it. But
>>> like I said I turned up the intensity, I can ride on an empty stomach
>>> at a lower pace for much longer, 30 plus miles.

>> I've felt something like this first thing in the morning (doesn't
>> happen later in the day, in my case). It just feels like nausea. A
>> glass of orange juice works fine for me; my daughter felt the same
>> thing one morning, and half a yuppie candy bar (aka energy bar) let
>> her finish the ride.
>>
>> Pat
>>
>> Email address works as is.

> Yeah, personally think it has to do something with stomach acids,
> perhaps something in there to absorb or dilute them, doesn't have to be
> much, just a little something.
>
> Ken

Like they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Why not
eat something first, or even your whole breakfast? If I try to ride on
an empty stomach I get a kind of mini-bonk after about 12-15 miles then
come home and eat more than usual. These morning rides are usually at a
somewhat leisurely 12-15 MPH just to kick start the metabolism.
Conclusion: Everybody is different.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka wrote:
> Ken C. M. wrote:
>> Patrick Lamb wrote:
>>>
>>> I've felt something like this first thing in the morning (doesn't
>>> happen later in the day, in my case). It just feels like nausea. A
>>> glass of orange juice works fine for me; my daughter felt the same
>>> thing one morning, and half a yuppie candy bar (aka energy bar) let
>>> her finish the ride.
>>>
>>> Pat
>>>
>>> Email address works as is.

>> Yeah, personally think it has to do something with stomach acids,
>> perhaps something in there to absorb or dilute them, doesn't have to
>> be much, just a little something.
>>
>> Ken

> Like they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Why not
> eat something first, or even your whole breakfast? If I try to ride on
> an empty stomach I get a kind of mini-bonk after about 12-15 miles then
> come home and eat more than usual. These morning rides are usually at a
> somewhat leisurely 12-15 MPH just to kick start the metabolism.
> Conclusion: Everybody is different.
> Bill Baka

Well I guess everyone reacts different, I don't do it like that very
often, as far as riding on an empty stomach, but that morning was a bit
different.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong

Try drinking a glass of juice (non citrus) instead of coffee. I ride all
the time on an empty stomach, with no problems. But a stomach with a cup of
coffee is bad for me... The coffee gets refunded real fast, so I don't do it
anymore.

"Ken C. M." wrote:

> I have come to the certain conclusion that this is a bad thing. I have
> done it a couple of times now, and have not had a very good experience
> with it. This morning I had time. I got up made a cup of coffee,
> checked email and such, and the weather wasn't perfect but not raining
> and not to chilly. So I headed out for a /fast/ ride. I have a route
> that is not too long, long enough where I can get a decent workout. Its
> about 12 miles and I can usually average 15.5 mph or so. Today managed
> 16.0 mph but when I got home my stomach was not liking the ride, or more
> correctly stated not like the ride on an empty stomach.
>
> Ken
> --
> The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
> old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
> shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

TomP wrote:
:: Try drinking a glass of juice (non citrus) instead of coffee. I
:: ride all the time on an empty stomach, with no problems. But a
:: stomach with a cup of coffee is bad for me... The coffee gets
:: refunded real fast, so I don't do it anymore.
::

OJ certainly provides more carbs if not eating a bagel!

:: "Ken C. M." wrote:
::
::: I have come to the certain conclusion that this is a bad thing. I
::: have done it a couple of times now, and have not had a very good
::: experience with it. This morning I had time. I got up made a cup
::: of coffee, checked email and such, and the weather wasn't perfect
::: but not raining and not to chilly. So I headed out for a /fast/
::: ride. I have a route that is not too long, long enough where I can
::: get a decent workout. Its about 12 miles and I can usually average
::: 15.5 mph or so. Today managed
::: 16.0 mph but when I got home my stomach was not liking the ride, or
::: more correctly stated not like the ride on an empty stomach.
:::
::: Ken
::: --
::: The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it
::: gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one
::: without shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong
::
:: --
:: Tp,
::