Riding On Electric Bike, Daily

9lines

May 7, 2015
Anyone here who uses an electric bike for commuting, daily? I want to buy an electric bike for commuting to work daily. Any advice and tips?

Are you planning to convert a bike or get a ready made one?

Just in case you already own one be careful where you mount the battery and know how to safely mount it on your bike. The battery is the most expensive and fragile component of an e bike so better be careful about it.

Manufactured electric bicycles are still somewhat expensive, but they're more than worth it if you can switch between using the electric motor and pedaling on your own. I've ridden one before, and it's quite fun to be able to use that electric system instead of your own strength to make the bike move. I wouldn't use one 24/7 for all of my cycling needs, but I'd use one every now and then for the pure convenience.

There is a Chinese store here that sells electric bikes. The cheapest is $400 and it comes with a spare battery. As per the blurb in the poster, you don't need to register it because it is not a motorcycle and, take note of this, you need no helmet because it is just a bicycle. Get that? Helmets for bikers are not compulsory here. As with the motorbike, since I the swelling on my leg prevents me to buy a new bike, I am contemplating on getting an electric bike.

Chinese E bikes are out there and yes they cost $400 usd. It is small, lightweight, and doesn't go very far on a full charge. I almost forgot, it moves really slow. So unless you have time on your hands and someplace to charge your batteries while at work, you might want to get something more substantial where long distances and round trips are obtainable on a single charge.

Reactions: Corzhens
joshposh said:
Chinese E bikes are out there and yes they cost $400 usd. It is small, lightweight, and doesn't go very far on a full charge. I almost forgot, it moves really slow. So unless you have time on your hands and someplace to charge your batteries while at work, you might want to get something more substantial where long distances and round trips are obtainable on a single charge.
You are right about the slow but not really very slow. It is what we call cruising speed. But if you want to go faster then 25 kph then you can with the use of the pedals. You can always augment the electric power with the power of your legs. That Chinese e-bikes are recommended for short trips only unless you can pedal yourself homeward. I cannot say about the full charge because I still have to research on that.

Corzhens said:
You are right about the slow but not really very slow. It is what we call cruising speed. But if you want to go faster then 25 kph then you can with the use of the pedals. You can always augment the electric power with the power of your legs. That Chinese e-bikes are recommended for short trips only unless you can pedal yourself homeward. I cannot say about the full charge because I still have to research on that.
That's whole point of getting a ebike so you don't have to pedal. Do you like to get out and push your car to save on gas? No, right?

Electric bicycles have limited popularity in my country. Only a local pizza joint seems to be using electric bicycles for their delivery service, guess the owner didn't want to spend big on purchasing motorcycles or scooters like his rivals have done. Otherwise, I don't come across too may electric bikes on the roads. Most cyclists prefer to use their own pedal power and stay in shape.