riding on footpaths

robalert

Jun 8, 2005
what is the deal with riding on footpaths?

i generally avoid it because it is illegal... and sometimes it is dangerous near driveways

BUT, i see plenty of people doing it and even cops in parramatta do it

when i do ride on footpaths, i slow right down...

has anyone been fined or warned for it?

i was riding in parra, on a very wide path, and a cop walked past, didn't say a thing... i was being very careful, riding under 10km/h and wearing business attire

i do admit that there are idiots on paths, but they also don't wear helmet and do other illegal stuff

i generally ride on path on busy roads where there is no safe shoulder and when climbing a hill riding very slowly....

I voted never.

Except for about 7 or 8 meters from my front gate to the next drop-kerb.

a) it's illegal - was given a stern warning by cops years ago
b) it's dangerous
c) slows me down

I try to use back streets or bike / shared paths.

I use about 3.5 kms of Victoria Rd (Parra Stadium to Park Rd, Rydalmere). Ride proudly down the centre of the left lane (be there 3 or 2 lanes). Have been doing this since my near wipe out last week. So far no probs. Only ONE motorist has ever even beeped at me. My theory is, look like you belong, and they'll think you belong (cling to the gutter, and you look like you don't deserve the road). I make sure I obey the rules (I even wait at red lights for left turns when others find it easy to slip around), and I have had three drivers and one motor-cyclist comment that it was good to see a cyclist obey the law. That is important, especially in the afternoon peak because I find myself with the same group of cars all the way from Rydalmere right throught to Parramatta.

Scotty

It's not illegal in QLD and near where I work at Woolloongabba I can cut out a heap of time by going up a footpath for around 600 metres. Also I live on a main road and I travel down that footpath till I get to the end of my street.

It's a nice change having pedestrians shouting abuse:p

ahhh

I used to live at Stones Corner (Greenslopes) and rode to work at Woolloongabba.

Didn't know that it was ok to use the path. Used Logan Rd.

Didn't find it a hassle. Traffic up there is a breeze :)

I ride from the northside and go over the story bridge on the western side. This puts me facing traffic so my options are to go down to the river and then ride around the bike path there or just shoot straight up an exceptionally wide footpath and save a couple of minutes.

As it's a commute I do what most would do and in fact there is a procession of cyclists up there.

I do a lot of commuting on a mountain bike so I go anywhere that is convienient at the time. I probably spend 10% or less of my time on the footpath, for my own safety most of the time.

If i was on a road bike then I would probably spend no time on the footpath.

Daniel

carma1 said:
Only when riding with my 5 year old son... :)
Ok, i admit, when I'm with my 5 yo girl we ride the path. But I didn't think that counted in Rob's question.

By myself = never

with my little girl = always

It's very slow.
It's dangerous, and not just to you - kids won't expect you and are unpredictable anyway, elderly people won't expect you, might not see you and won't be able to avoid you.
Drivers on cross streets won't see you.
If you had a crash, you would always be at fault and you would not be insured.
It allows those dumb shite fossil fuel burners to continue to think that that's where we belong (actually, I do drive occasionally, although never to work :D ).
It's hard on your bike, especially if you ride a roadie.