Riding on NC Outer Banks

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tom Walker, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    My girlfriend and I are heading down to Corolla on the Outer Banks of NC for a week of vacation with
    family during the first week of July.

    I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive time
    or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the dreaded road
    bike. I haven't found much so far.

    Any locals hanging out in here that can help me?

  2. "Tom Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My girlfriend and I are heading down to Corolla on the Outer Banks of NC for a week of vacation
    > with family during the first week of July.
    >
    > I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive
    > time or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the
    > dreaded road bike. I haven't found much so far.
    >
    > Any locals hanging out in here that can help me?

    I was down there a couple of years ago. Pretty flat area. But within your 90-minute limit there
    are probably places. I'd just take the road bike and ride around there. Actually, I'd probably
    take whatever beater bike I had and let the salt and sand have their way it that instead of my
    'good' bike.

  3. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Tom Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | My girlfriend and I are heading down to Corolla on the Outer Banks of NC for a week of vacation
    | with family during the first week of July.
    |
    | I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive
    | time or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the
    | dreaded road bike. I haven't found much so far.
    |
    | Any locals hanging out in here that can help me?

    Don't, I repeat DON'T take your any of your primary bikes there. The salt air and microsand (ground
    up sand that gets into EVERYTHING will do a number on your bike. It took me two days to clean up my
    MTB when I took it to Ocracoke (south of Corolla) in 2001. Your best bet is to rent a beach cruiser
    from the many places that do so down there. First time I went, I took two cruisers and two hybrids.
    I never even touched the hybrids that trip.

    BTW, don't pronounce Corolla like the Toyota car. They say Cah-RAH-Lah over there.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/16/2003

  4. "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > My girlfriend and I are heading down to Corolla on the Outer Banks of NC for a week of vacation
    > > with family during the first week of July.
    > >
    > > I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive
    > > time or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the
    > > dreaded road bike. I haven't found much so far.
    >
    > It's awful flat anywhere around there. Perhaps a substitute from mtn
    biking
    > would be a windsurfing or kiteboarding lesson? Just south of there
    (within
    > your 90 minute range) is Hatteras; a world class location for learning either sport. Even better
    > is a little rain won't stop you (it's been raining almost every day here in the mid-Atlantic). As
    > others have said, leave anything you don't mind corroded by the sand and salt at home.

    Also hang gliding, and a visit to the Wright Brothers Museum is in order. The Lost Colony, an
    historical, outdoor drama is pretty good.

    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.hatteras.ws/

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

  6. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "Tom Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My girlfriend and I are heading down to Corolla on the Outer Banks of NC for a week of vacation
    > with family during the first week of July.
    >
    > I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive
    > time or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the
    > dreaded road bike. I haven't found much so far.
    >
    > Any locals hanging out in here that can help me?

    I wen there last year (Avon) and searched long and hard for anything resembling a trail, no such
    luck. I hated the road riding too, one long ass, straight, flat road with nasty wind and heavy to
    moderate traffic. I tried a few rides and hated all of them, spent most of the vacation on the
    beach. Not a cycling destination IMO. Local shops rent for around $60-70 for a week IIRC.

    Chris

    ps At the Pea Island Wildlife refuge there is a service road that's about a mile or so that allowed
    bikes as of last year. I think that's the closest thing to a trail you'll find.

  7. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Tom Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My girlfriend and I are heading down to Corolla on the Outer Banks of NC for a week of vacation
    > with family during the first week of July.
    >
    > I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive
    > time or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the
    > dreaded road bike. I haven't found much so far.
    >
    > Any locals hanging out in here that can help me?

    Spent a couple of vacations in Duck (just south of Corolla) No MTBing around for a variety
    of reasons.

    Too flat, too sandy, too fragile, too salty, too wet. mtbr.com shows a LOT of trails in NC, but
    *none* near the coast.

    From Duck north to Corolla isn't too bad as far as traffic, but anywhere south of Duck is insane.

    Within 90 mins though...that really doesn't get you very far away from the coast. You have to go all
    the way back down to Rt 158 to get off the peninsula and back to the mainland and north. 90 minutes
    gets you about to Currituck. Still very flat and swampy.

    Pete

  8. x

    x Guest

    RE/

    >I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive time
    >or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the dreaded
    >road bike. I haven't found much so far.
    >
    >Any locals hanging out in here that can help me?

    I'm no local, but I've been going down there once, sometimes 2-3 times a year for about 20 years.

    Maybe this will smoke out somebody that knows of some good rides - but my current view is "It Sucks
    Pretty Bad".

    Flat, straight, headwinds, crosswinds, soft sand shoulders, speeding traffic....and something called
    "jumping cactus" that has to be seen to be believed.

    I'll bring a beater bike just to get from ocean side to sound side to check out the windsurfing
    conditions...but not for much else.

    OTOH, kayaking down there can be quite aesthetic....

    We're going down for the first two weeks in July. Considering the windsurfing season so far, my
    primary tools will be a surf ski, a hammock, and a portable CD player.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  9. Nate

    Nate Guest

    [email protected] (Tom Walker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My girlfriend and I are heading down to Corolla on the Outer Banks of NC for a week of vacation
    > with family during the first week of July.
    >
    > I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive
    > time or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the
    > dreaded road bike. I haven't found much so far.
    >
    > Any locals hanging out in here that can help me?

    I lived in Buxton for a summer. There were a few trails in that town, but they are all sandy and ya
    end up with 50 little sand spurs in your tires.

    A decent little road ride is to park in Hatteras Village and bike to the free ferry. Then there is
    a 15ish mile ride to Ocracoke. Great little place to grab a dinner and a beer (may I suggest
    Howard's Pub).

    As long as you keep your bikes indoors when not in use, you shouldn't have any problems with sand
    and salt. Just keep your chain well coated with a dry lube. Sorry, no good trails, at all.

    Have fun, Nate

  10. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Nate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | [email protected] (Tom Walker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    | > My girlfriend and I are heading down to Corolla on the Outer Banks of NC for a week of vacation
    | > with family during the first week of July.
    | >
    | > I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive
    | > time or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the
    | > dreaded road bike. I haven't found much so far.
    | >
    | > Any locals hanging out in here that can help me?

    | I lived in Buxton for a summer. There were a few trails in that town, but they are all sandy and
    | ya end up with 50 little sand spurs in your tires.
    |
    | A decent little road ride is to park in Hatteras Village and bike to the free ferry. Then there is
    | a 15ish mile ride to Ocracoke. Great little place to grab a dinner and a beer (may I suggest
    | Howard's Pub).
    |
    | As long as you keep your bikes indoors when not in use, you shouldn't have any problems with sand
    | and salt. Just keep your chain well coated with a dry lube. Sorry, no good trails, at all.

    I would agree, except to say that the best place in Ocracoke Village is the Jolly Roger!

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/16/2003

  11. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    <Bad news snipped>

    Well, that all blows. Windsurfing and hang gliding are out as activities to pursue with the GF
    as she's not interested. It sounds like its not even worth the decreased gas mileage to bring
    the bikes.

    I guess we'll have to look at other things to do there. Thanks for the help!

  12. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I would agree, except to say that the best place in Ocracoke Village is
    the
    > Jolly Roger!

    I prefer SmackNally's myself. And the Spicy Shrimp is a damn fine restaurant.

  13. "Tom Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > <Bad news snipped>
    >
    > Well, that all blows. Windsurfing and hang gliding are out as activities to pursue with the GF
    > as she's not interested. It sounds like its not even worth the decreased gas mileage to bring
    > the bikes.
    >
    > I guess we'll have to look at other things to do there. Thanks for the help!

    I've been following your thread with interest as well Tom. I leave for Emerald Isle (NW of
    Wilmington) in 2 days and was hoping to get some sort of riding in. I guess I'll get heavier beers
    and weight lift the whole time.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  14. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I am heading to North Myrtle Beach tomorrow and was told the same thing. Enjoy the water activities
    and leave the bike at home.

    "Tom Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My girlfriend and I are heading down to Corolla on the Outer Banks of NC for a week of vacation
    > with family during the first week of July.
    >
    > I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive
    > time or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the
    > dreaded road bike. I haven't found much so far.
    >
    > Any locals hanging out in here that can help me?

  15. Saldman

    Saldman Guest

    Bring your jetski. Everyone has one. Right!? Sal "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am heading to North Myrtle Beach tomorrow and was told the same thing. Enjoy the water
    > activities and leave the bike at home.
    >

    > "Tom Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My girlfriend and I are heading down to Corolla on the Outer Banks of NC for a week of vacation
    > > with family during the first week of July.
    > >
    > > I've been trying to find out if there are any trails worth visiting there (90 minutes of drive
    > > time or less from Corolla would be nice) so I know whether to bring the mountain bike or the
    > > dreaded road bike. I haven't found much so far.
    > >
    > > Any locals hanging out in here that can help me?

  16. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | I am heading to North Myrtle Beach tomorrow and was told the same thing. Enjoy the water
    | activities and leave the bike at home.

    For Myrtle Beach, you need a "Pits Bike" Call a shop called "Atlantic Spokes" for a more precise
    description than I could provide (I just take cruisers to the beach nowadays.)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/16/2003

  17. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Bring your jetski. Everyone has one. Right!?

    Oooooh! Some major trolling going on here....
    PeteCresswell