Riding on poor roads + new bike

Smurfario

Mar 17, 2004
Hi fellas,

I'm new to this forum so a big fat hello from me. I wanted to know whether there were any London-based riders in here that could tell me how they get on with the poor London roads on their road bikes (or for that matter any riders who regularly travel on poor condition roads!).

I have been commuting for over two years on my trusty steed - a Specialized Hard Rock Comp - and after 1000s of miles it needs to go into retirement. Over the last two years I have grown insanely jealous of all those buggers on road bikes whizzing past me. Whilst the MTB I have been riding has been immense and well suited to the conditions (especially considering you could go caving in some of the potholes on the roads in to the City) I want to get a road bike next. Budget is tight - about 500 quid or so - and thus I have had a look at the Lemond Nevada City and the Specialized Allez Triple, as well as a Bianchi San Remo (Gold Race Trip thingy - its in the sale at one of my LBS).

Can anyone tell me of their experiences using a road bike regularly on poor roads, and if they have any recommendations with regards to particular brands or model of bike. Any advice to this knackered MTB rider would be
gratefully received. I don't really want to consider a cross, because they look naff IMHO and road bikes suit my stytle! :)

Cheers,
Smurf

Sounds a lot like my situation a couple of months ago. I'd been riding my Specialized Hard Rock Sport FS for a couple of years on the road, and had been saving up for a new road bike too, when I got hit by a van in December, which bent my rear wheel and derailleurs. (that's right, a ford transit van, how did you guess)

So I plonked for the new road bike, except that the roads around here aren't great. There aren't too many holes about except for the drains, but the surface is not smooth by any stretch of the imagination, and there is constantly gravel and bits of other **** at the side of the road where we cyclists make our home.

Long and short of it: I got my first puncture after a mere 150 miles or so. Not good. The only advice I can offer right now is to get some good puncture resistent tyres. If you're commuting you won't have to worry about high performance, low resistance tyres - just get tough ones! Apart from that I think I need as much advice as you at the moment.

Good touring tires and Mr. Tuffy plastic hoops. And get wheels with 36 spokes. Poor roads are the #1 reason I wouldn't bother spending a whole bunch of money on a bike. For the kind of cash you're looking to spend, you should be able to get a good basic road bike-- I personally think that a Sora drivetrain would be just fine for you. As always, check with Fuji and Raleigh first-- these companies are a history of making low end steel bikes that last.

Hi Smurfario

I'm from Essex and I don't bike in London. The country lanes out here are as bad as anywhere and I've clocked up many miles on my MTB's and a Recumbent Trike. Some of the potholes are that bad, that the motion of the full susspension almost throws me off! The Trike is worse as it just throws the Trike across the road.

Not withstanding that, most of the holes can be avoided by swerving and there is not much traffic to cause me problems. I've just bought a LeMond Nevada City and can only describe it as fantastic. I've hit a few holes and the "Shock" is no worse than on my other bikes. I must say, I am very much more observant when out on the Road Bike (Which is now most of the time). As you original posting was a month ago, you may have already bought your Road Bike or changed your mind. The Nevada City cost me 502 including a new Helmet, computer and a back, Oh and next day delivery. They are very popular and at £500 they have outstipped supply. Some dealers are not expecting any more until the end of the year! I know a few places that have some frame sizes in stock.

Go for a Road Bike, travel Faster!

If you do get a road bike and it doesn't come with a carbon fork and seatpost, upgrade it to that. Carbon takes away alot of the oomph from nasty roads. I haven't had the spare cash to upgrade mine and I don't think i'll ever be able to have children.